Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the line with Summit Racing, and they say the kyb's don't work with Vr4's. I said that i had a part number and everything off the kyb webpage. He put me on hold, and then came back and said those are actually for the non turbo 3kgt's. Apparently, the part number for the vr4 on kyb.com is the same part number for the base/sl.

So, yeah, basically, how can the heavy ass vr4 have the same shocks as the nonturbos? :confused: Far be it for me to judge the engineers over there, but shouldn't the damping rates be different since the mass and spring rates are very different for the cars? And just to make sure, KYB is our only option right? I can't find jack from bilstein, koni, tokico, uh...well, i guess tein makes something. What kind of shocks do japanese/european gto drivers use? This blows, does anyone else want some Koni's? Maybe we can petition them.

Or maybe i just didn't find the right part number... but basically, summit says that they don't have struts for my car. craptastic. where did you guys buy yours from? carparts??--> i don't think they have em anymore :(

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
I got my KYB's for my vr4 from Summit. What part number were you giving them?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KYB 335013 [FRONT STRUT ASSEMBLY] GR2; EXC.ADJ.SUSP.

KYB 341183 [REAR SHOCK ABSORBER] GR2; EXC.ADJ.SUSP.

That's taken off the kyb.com page. Those are for the vr4, and exactly the same as the non vr4.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
Does your vr4 have ecs?? If it does here are the part numbers...

Front. kyb-335013
rear. kyb-341185

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Be aware that the rear shocks part number is the trick.

They are NOT shocks produced for the VR4- they are simply a shock that works perfectly with them. KYB knows this and has a VERY small * see other part numbers on there catalog.

Becareful ordering rear shocks for the VR4 - else you will do the parts number shuffle like I did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, awesome, thanx a bunch guys for the quick help!. one question tho, this means that the front shocks are still the same for either car right? (i'm just not a fan of ghetto style engineering, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works, ya know) I am assuming you are all happy with your setup? I just want to make sure there isn't excessive dive under braking, since this car will hopefully be roadcoursing/autox next summer. I don't want to load the front too much, will suck for tire wear, front brake fade, and understeer.

Just tell me that these things kick ass, and you are happy you bought them. oh, yeah, what price did you pay? i think he said around 70 something a piece for the fronts?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
70 for fronts is good... I love my setup... and NO the fronts aren't the same... but KYB lists a part number (already given I thinks) for the front... the rear is TOUGH to find... call Matt Monet for a correct number (since I just looked it up the other day for him)

·
AZ 3/S Tech
1,264 Posts
some one should test fit some KYB struts from another car and see if they fit. Maybe one of the 3/S tuners could help us all out. I think the AGX (adjustables) would be much better than the GR2's that we can get now.
how bout it
3SX
Dynamic
AA
GTPRO
anyone ?

or will i have to do this myself?

may be i could take donations for a test fit model....
any suggestions on which car has the same set up?
DSM / 3/S no turbo???

...tim3kgt

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
shovel said:
Does your vr4 have ecs?? If it does here are the part numbers...

Front. kyb-335013
rear. kyb-341185
So are these the final order codes for a VR4 with ECS 1st and 2nd gen?

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Yup, those part numbers are correct according to the 2001 KYB catalog. Those part numbers are also unique to the 3000GT/Stealth so they ARE made for our cars. Since the part numbers are unique to our cars and they don't make AGX shocks/struts for our car, then the AGX thing might not work. Or it could be the difference between a mounting bracket for a brake line. I don't like the idea of wire tieing brake lines to my shocks/struts :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thanks.

EDIT
So are there any other options to keep the ECS? Does anyone else make them?
What're the different Springs and what makes them different.
I know i've seen this a million times discussed but searching for something like this is nasty and there's no way to find a thread easily once it's gone by.

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Only OEM shocks/struts will let you keep ECS.

Springs are a whole issue in themselves. Brands of springs are Eibach, Intrax, H&R, and Ground Control. I believe those are the only ones available so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts