Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Its been kindda cool here in the morings lately. I noticed today that my heater (it was set at 87 degrees) was blowing ice cold air?????? I let the car warm up, and it was still cold. (ice cold). It then warmed up for about a min, then was ice cold again. It was warm the other night when I was driving, so whats going wrong??

Its my 92 RT TT, with 107k. I think My IAC may be going (I hope its the IAC, because if its not I've got other problems). But I can't think of much that would cause my heater to go on me. Heater coils maybe, but how do I test that??

Can anyone help here???

Thanks
:dodge:Troop

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
The IAC has nothing to do with that.

How's your engine temperature guage doing? I'd say it might be your thermostat.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that the IAC has nothingto do with this problem, it may be the cause of another problem though. And I don't have a thermostat in my car, I went to change it long ago, and it wan't their, the one I bought also didn't fit (stupid autoparts store). So I didn't put one back in, I know that not being in would cause it to take longer to heat up, but it didn't heat up today. So what else could it be, and I'll put a thermostat in if everyone thinks I should.:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Have you tried topping off your radiator? If it's low in many cars you won't get heat at idle(no flow through heater core), but will while driving.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
What you described can also be caused by a low coolant level because of air pockets in the system.

That's very bad for your engine. The temp gauge won't show a problem until it's too late.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I just topped off the coolent, although it wasn't that low. The overflow had plenty in it, but the engine took a 1/4 jug of the green stuff. If that don't work, I'll run a flush through it later this week.

Thanks for the help!!

If anyone else has another ideas, I'll hear them.

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
You did mix that "1/4 jug of the green stuff" with half water, right?

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
your thermostat could be bad, too..

I lost heat in my car.. turns out I had a coolant leak coming off my rear turbo, and basically lost A LOT of coolant.. so I was super low, and there wasn't enough coolant to circulate through the system to give me heat.. I fixed the leak, topped off the coolant, and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KingNothing said:
You did mix that "1/4 jug of the green stuff" with half water, right?
No, I am sure that there was enough plain old water in there already.

SilverBullet : Like I stated before I am not running a thermostat, I don't think I have a coolent leak (I would see that on my garage floor).

It heated up today, but as soon as I stoped moving (stoped at a light) it got cold again??? WHY???

John M, how could I get air pockets in my coolent system, and how do I make sure I get them out????

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,610 Posts
Install a thermostat! It's impossible for the engine to run at a constant temp without it. The thermostat will stay closed until the coolant reaches temp (usually 190 degrees) and then it will open allowing the heated coolant to circulate. Now that the temps are cold outside, you must have a thermostat.

Bob

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
you might want to check the fuses inside the car. I was trying to pull my alarm fuse one day and i couldn't really get under the steering wheel to see it so i just picked one and yanked it...i thought i had it and the next thing i know i didn't have any heat. I put it back and it worked fine. It was large, about an inch and a half long, looks just like the horn fuse under the hood. Good luck.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Bob is right...

your getting heat when your moving because it's warming up the car enoguh to get that water to flow warm.

Without the thermostat, when you come to a stop the coolant has a chance to cool down a bit int hat cold weather and it's hard for car to keep a constant temp, without it being hot enough your heater isn't going to be warm, let alone build much pressure in the system :)

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Firestorm91TT said:
install a fail safe thermostat..they put those things in there for a reason...with the fail safe if the thermo freezes up it will stay in the open position...can't beat it...
Of course, then you never know when it fails ;)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
TroopsStealthTT said:
And I don't have a thermostat in my car, I went to change it long ago, and it wan't their, the one I bought also didn't fit (stupid autoparts store).
Hmmm, sounds like somebody modded the car for normal Florida weather. Without a thermostat you should be running really cold. Which probably explains why the heat is cold.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah well I went to buy a thermostat today, what they gave me don't look like it will fit, its huge. I've been giving the wrong part before so I didn't buy it. the gasket they had looked right, but not the thermostat it self, Whats Going on?? Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I just Crazy??

If some one has a pic, that would be great!!

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
The Tstat for the TT is almost 2x the size of thast for the NA, Napa was the only place I could find that carried it.

It's about 2.75" in Diameter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.