Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a funky problem.

Dome light DOES work when passenger door opens.

Door switch on driver door DOES work since the red door light comes on as well as the warning beep when you turn the car on with the key.

Any ideas?

-SP

·
Registered
149 Posts
my sl has this exact issue, my uncle (an electrician/mechanic) said its just a bad ground for the drivers side switch to the light, if you take apart the switch and just clean everything up it should do the trick. if that doesnt work clean everything up on the lights end of the connection and if that still doesnt do it you could have a bad wire (which is the least likely cause)

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cmon guys THE SWITCH WORKS! If it didnt, it wouldnt beep and the red light wouldnt come on. On my other car the switches were crap but worked most of the time and the dome light came on correctly. I finally put new switches on the other car because I forgot to turn off the headlights in crappy daylight weather and the door switch circuit is what turns them off.

MORE IDEAS! MORE IDEAS!

-SP

·
Ready For War
211 Posts
Mine did about what you describe a couple years ago, red light and door chime worked but dome light didn't. I cleaned the door switch and the contacts in the dome light and reinstalled everything and it worked again. I cleaned both at the same time though so I don't actually know which was the problem or if I unknowingly reconnected a loose wire while the whole thing was going on.

·
RWD is scary
443 Posts
I have this problem too and have since ive owned the car (5 years)..... The buzzer and door lights only work once in a blue moon, and the dome has never once come on.

Im with speedy25...Help

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1992 VR-4. What I sometimes do at night is push the switch in and out with my finger and after a couple times it'll come on. WHICH MEANS, one of the wires in the switch is probably bad or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem.... took the drivers door switch out only to find that it wasn't even connected to anything...... I fished out the wires in the body and reattached the connectors. Now everything works just fine. (The screw that holds the door switch in place evidently is an important ground)
Hope this helps someone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts