Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, found a place here in Oakville Canada, that sells them (even had them in stock) for $7.45. each (CDn)/ approx. $5. usd.UAP/NAPA wanted $21. each cdn! US orders don't get hit by our 15% tax either. Anyone want their info, let me know. I might see if I can get a members discount.

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
Please let up know! Are they the PFR6J 11 plugs? It makes a lot of difference. Please give us the # or web site if they have one or help us get them through you if you are interested.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are the Platinum VX plugs made in Nagoya by NGK. English and Japanese script on the box. Part #BKR5EVX-11. Sold at Carquest (no website yet) for $7.45 cdn (total before tax $44.69 for 6: approx. $31. Usd). Their number is 1-905-844-3264, or I can be the central contact [email protected]
I'll be installing mine tonight, with a review to follow.

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
Are you sure it is the same plug. I contacted my carquest and they can get them but they said they are a totaly different plug. Make sure before you use it. Compare it to one of the PFR6J-11 first. I can get them local for $6 each but the NGK PFR6J-11 still run $13 local, $9.86 mail order.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea if it is the same plug. My car previously had splitfires. All I know is they fit, I put everything back together. I'm going to gas up and go out tonight. Let you know. Basically, they are a platinum, tapered electrode plug. The store computer showed me the part number corresponding to my car, so I'm assuming its ok.

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
There are a lot of plugs that will work in our cars but they don't last long or foul easly. Even other platinum plugs don't seem to work or last nearly as long as the stock NGKs. I know it is a lot to spend on a plug but if it works go with it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems worth a shot to me. I think the splitfires would have been ok too, but they needed to be gapped tighter. Only 1 showed any sort of wear. The others had pretty even burn. I'll take it out for a boot, and keep an ongoing update, say every 10k miles to check on progress/wear.
This is the first car I have ever owned that are so finicky on plugs, so I'm somewhat skeptical. My stang and vette rarely could tell a difference with new plugs or various brands.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Here is the catch guys. Make sure they are platinum tip, and not just the electrode. NGK makes both, but you will notice a night and day difference between the two. You will also be able to look at the tip of the plug and see a small plate of platinum...............corey

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
I will checkit out today. I know on the electrode on the PFR6J 11 the electode go to almost a point. It is about the size of a ball point pen tip and on most other it is much bigger. I will let you know what I can find.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, lets clarify here. The electrode is the little pointy thing that shoots the spark toward the bent metal part that you bend when gapping, right? In that case the electrode is platinum. Probably the best thing is for somebody local to a shop that carries both types to eyeball it, and let us all know. These were the only ones I was able to find.
Ran the car hard tonight for a couple of hours. The miss I had at accelleration is gone, and the car pulls really well at high rpm, where it used to faint with the Splitfires. However, I think the tightly gapped splitfires may have had more lower end "oomph" i.e. in the 2000-3000 rpm range.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited December 11, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that is the only thing you are looking for, these plugs have it. The electrode is platinum, and narrows to almost a point, unlike the blunted electrodes on typical plugs. Still Let us know, as I have never seen a PRP6-11 whatever plug. Could it be the same plug with a diff. part number for US vs. international markets?

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited December 12, 1999).]

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
I have not been able to locate one yet to check. Ill keep trying.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I think the difference in the one you are all talking about and the ones that are $9+ are that the platinum ngk plugs that are only $5 are only platinum tipped, and the $9+ plugs have a platinum core. They aren't the same factory plugs, but will fit and work in our cars, but I don't know anything about the performance of them. I think $9 is the cheapest you'll ever find the factory NGKs. I don't know how, but the race shop here says they can get the $12 plugs from the dealer for $9 a piece. I'm still waiting for that lazy bastard to go pick them up for me though.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
Lovbyts
4,259 Posts
Don't wait for someone else to get them for you get them yourself here. http://www.Magauto.com/mitsubishi.htm
I ordered 6 at $9.86 each. I forgot to see if they had a S3 discount, darn. It only took 4 days to get them. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Just a little FYI here..
http://www.wrenchhead.com has everything needed to do the 60k service (excluding plug wires) for about $240.. and this included replacement factory NGK plugs for 9 bux each.

Mark
'93 RT TT

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andrew C, yes I have been known to indulge, heheh...also, I inherited about 175 bottles of the immaculate elixir a couple of years ago (an eclectic mix of French, Italian and Australian). Why do you ask?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.