Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones are better and is dynamic racing the cheapest place to find them?
Also how much is it for the stock plugs and wires instead of upgraded ones?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
care to elaborate on why?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Why should he get stock wires??? :confused: ...arent the aftermarket ones better whether it is NGK or Magnecore???:confused:

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Spark Plug comparisons

When I was shopping for spark plug wires I made a quick price comparison and posted it on my web site:

http://members.aol.com/johnmonnin/10sparkplugwires1.html

Please forgive the appearance of this page It is still under contruction but the important information is listed.

I didn't evaluate the quality of the wires, just price, color and fit(based off of posts on this board)

Quick Summary:
Stock wires (if changed every 60K miles) are cheap (Around $50), fit well, are labeled for each cylinder, and they work on some of the fastest Twin turbos around. The only reason to use other wires that I could find was if you are using an aftermarket ignition system or if you want more colorful wires.

If you want color the Accell Thundersport wires are available in several colors for around $70 at summit. NGK are light blue(Approx $100) and the Magnecor are Red(approx $110).

IF you are using aftermarket coils (ACCELL) then the wires are slightly different I think.

It is possible that the HKS ignition amplifier might need better wires than stock but I have not heard of anyone having problems.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the Magnecor wires. Bought them a couple of years ago from Cyberauto for $115.

Very good quality. No complaints. Look nice in my car because it happens to be red. The quality is such that they are likely to last a lifetime.

But- there is no performance benefit. Any wires that claim there are are simply pushing marketing hype. If putting in new wires improves performance then the wires that were replaced had a problem.

Frankly many brands that make performance claims are actually of poorer quality than the stock wires.

If you just need wires and don't care about color or specific details stick with the stock wires. They wok just fine.

Would I buy Magnecor's again? Yes. I like the quality. I like the no bullshit approach they take - no hype, just very good quality. I like not having a carbon insulator jacket (what the stock wires use, makes the jacket brittle and less flexible- this is what deteriorates and needs replacing), and they look good. I like the best and don't usually worry about costs.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: Web page Update

John Monnin said:
I updated my webpage with links and more accurate prices.

John Monnin
Nice Job Man..Great site. ;)

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Re: Re: Web page Update

4u2nv said:

Nice Job Man..Great site. ;)
Thanks, It took me a year and 1/2 to replace my engine with a 4-bolt main block. I had a lot more time than money so I started saving really good 3si threads and Team3s emails. I decided to post a website to minimize the size of the replys I make of this message board.

Of course since I completed my re-build I have changed my mind on several things but I don't regret anything.

John Monnin

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
No plug wires are going to be noticably better than another. I went with Magnecor because I didn't care about spending a little extra money. If money is an issue go OEM, if not get Accels or Magnecors just to get away from the stock parts:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts