Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 18" Tubolare's yesterday. Threw on the Kumhos and put them on my car today. I think they look pretty good (will take pics soon).

But here's the problem... on the passenger side front, the wheel rubs against my caliper. It does NOT happen on the driver's side.

So what I did was switch the front and rear ones, the one that USED TO BE on the rear DOESN'T hit the caliper EXCEPT under hard braking.

Looking on the driver's side, it's CLOSE but not hitting. The passenger side, again, one wheel hits pretty bad, the other wheel doesn't hit except when braking hard.

SO I think I've troubleshooted to determine it's NOT the WHEEL.

Is it possible my caliper is on wrong? Or loose? (I checked the bolt and it was tight).

I'd like to fix it but don't want to just cure the symptom... I want to cure the problem. Of course I could just throw on a 1-2mm spacer and it would work FINE. But I'm a bit concerned about my caliper.

SUGGESTIONS? WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?

·
Sc300-2jzgte coming soon
2,047 Posts
get wheel spacers

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep I know I can do that but that's just fixing the symptom... again I don't think it's the wheels... something seems to be wrong with the caliper and its alignment or something.

In the meantime, yes I am going to get a very thin spacer just for that wheel (like 1 or 2 mm if that's even available).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
have you try switching the wheels from left to right front to back? if all the wheels hit the caliper its your car. if only that one particular wheel hit then its the wheel

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
I havn't really paid attention to the way our calipers work, but if they work like I think, this could be your problem. If the caliper slides on the bolts that hold them on, if the inside pad is thinner than the outside, it would push the caliper toward the rim more. Just a thought...probably not the problem.

Chris

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jspec said:
have you try switching the wheels from left to right front to back? if all the wheels hit the caliper its your car. if only that one particular wheel hit then its the wheel
So what I did was switch the front and rear ones, the one that USED TO BE on the rear DOESN'T hit the caliper EXCEPT under hard braking.

I've thought about this all last night and this morning... it's GOTTA be the caliper.. KD4 has the same idea as I do... but the brakes are fairly new... I"m going to look REALLY close to see.

Also the more I think about it... if the driver's side is probably 2mm from hitting and the passenger side is just BARELY hitting (and then only under hard braking), 2mm is NOT that big of a variance between two calipers and the way they sit on the car. So maybe there really isn't a problem after all...

·
Registered
117 Posts
just my opinion

i do not know but maybe the offset ofall 4 wheels are diferent betwen them. check them out maybe ,the company from witch you buy the wheels mix them.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Yes, ALL disc brake calipers are designed to slide in/out as the pads wear. You have nothing "wrong" with your caliper, its probably just in a slightly different position then the other side. Get spacers so you have enough clearance no matter where the caliper slides in its range of movement. You should not be cutting it as close as you are! Otherwise as the pads wear you will have problems again or on the other side as well.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks moparjim and everyone... any suggestions as to how big of spacers I should get??? I really only need about 2mm...

And should I put the same spacers on the rear as well, or can I just do them on the front?

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they're 18x9's and the "correct" offset, I can't remember the actual offset but they are right from my previous research.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts