Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I finally save up enough money for new turbos and a set of injectors, am I going to need a replacement clutch or can I use the stock one. I don't plan on doing any launching after I get the turbos, for awhile at least. So can the stocker hold up with the power in normal conditions?

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
stocker

the stocker is a little low powered for any new turbos...if you're going with a lighter upgrade, 13Gs or DR500s for example, and don't flame me for saying they're "the same" because they're not. The stocker should hold up if you're gentle....the power level will be nearly reached...it will also depend if you start running high boost levels too...im sure others have more insight...but I'd be prepared to get a new clutch because it might not be long for this world after the new turbos...how many miles does your stock clutch have on it?

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
I 2nd VR-4Maniac, at least based on what everyone's been telling me.

As you probably know I'm doing a GB on a South Bend Clutch DXD clutch, and have done a LOT of research. Based on what I have learned, the stock clutch is BARELY holding, even with 15psi stock turbos. I know that I couldn't launch more than 4500rpms without my stock clutch slipping. And my stocker lasted under 10k miles, with only about 25-30 runs down the track, but with regular medium-agressive launches on the street (like 5-10 good launches per week)

I'm a cheapo, but I do believe in doing things right. IMO if you can't launch when you want to, there's no point in driving... if you can't use your power to its full potential, there's no point in making that power. The last few months I was getting REALLY sick of having to baby my clutch on the street since I had sticky tires and didn't want to launch at 6500rpm and break them loose (the clutch will hold on a full dump at 6500rpm). My enjoyment of my car was dwindling.

Yeah a stock clutch will hold for a while but you won't enjoy it, especially after upgrading the turbos and fuel. Spend the extra money and do it all at once.

BTW you can pick up a DXD in this group buy for $375, it will hold 475 WHEEL horsepower, is a sprung-hub, 6-puck design with Kevlar and Ceramic friction surfaces. I think it's an awesome clutch, and the price is sure right!

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shadow fax--you and your damn 14bs are going to ruin my poor stock clutch:(

Oh well, I guess a few hundred more bucks wouldn't hurt for a new clutch:D

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
I've had 15G's with a stock clutch for about 5K now, 3 trips to the track, I drive pretty spirited and I haven't had any real slippage......but I don't expect that to last a whole lot longer. I'm not saying you won't need a new clutch, I'm saying you won't need one the second you install new turbos. Depending on the clutch's current condition, I think you could get away with putting in the turbos and driving around a few months while saving up for a new clutch.

Jason

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
After a half dozen DSMs and two 3S's, one thing remained a constant: as soon as the boost was raised, the stock clutch said bye-bye. I would bet that my car on stock turbos would overwhelm a stock clutch on a 3rd gear stomp. Remember, stress on the clutch is greater in the upper gears than it is in 1st or 2nd.

The first time you go to accelerate just a little in 4th and the clutch starts to slip, the expletives will fly :)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
John- I actually would bet just a little bit of money that on the top end you're already slipping.

So far I haven't found a stock clutch that can take more than a half dozen launches on anything over BPU. Jayson is running an RPSIII on his stockers, and the difference on the top end is there.

Being lighter weight than some may help (why Trevor has managed all this time with an RPSII) but the stock clutch is toast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts