Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently purchased a 95 stealth tt with 21800 miles on it. I was planning on getting a 02 or newer s2000 next summer, but came across this car and decided to pick it up. I really liked the s2000, but was somewhat disappointed in its lack up hp upgrades, the only real thing out was a vortech supercharger which made no difference below 6k and little above. Maybe honda will do something for 04 on the s2000.

After doing searches for the past three weeks on this site I have ordered a manual turboxs dsbc, autometer boost guage, autometer air/fuel guage, hks dragger exhaust and k/n fipk.

My next planned purchases are cleaning up the air flow before the exhaust, and getting more fuel so I can increase boost with the stock turbos. Possibly 550cc injectors and larger walbro fuel pump. I have been looking at supra forums for mkIII generation injectors, I think they will work. This would be much less expensive than R/C 550cc injectors for 400.00.

What down pipes do you reccomend? I have read about fitment problems with some of the makes. Is it better to gut the cats or replace them with test pipes? I have parked the car for the winter, so I have some time for upgrades.

Up here in Alaska you dont have to pass a i/m if the car is not driven in the winter so its not a too big of a concern if it doesnt pass a visual inpection, but if I decided to sell at a later date I dont want to put alot of money so it will pass a i/m test. If you gut the cats will it still be i/mable?

Do the upgrades seem logical? My main goal is not the get smoked next summer by mustangs, camaros, eclipses or by my mother in her c-5 vette.

Any advice would be appreciated.::)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know the MKIII injectors won't work, they are side-feed instead of top-feed (or the other way around, they're the opposite of ours). I'd gut the pre-cats, then replace the cat with a test pipe for inspection puropses. It should pass with just the one cat, if it's warmed up enough. That's my advice for now.

·
THE MAN, THE AMERICAN
2,015 Posts
Mr Roboto said:
I'd gut the pre-cats, then replace the cat with a test pipe for inspection puropses. It should pass with just the one cat, if it's warmed up enough. That's my advice for now.
That's right. Pre-cat elimators that I've seen are very, very expensive but I'm sure flow the air smoother than the hollowed out pre-cats. Either one will make a decent difference over stock, I'm just not sure how much difference there is between the two options.

Also, if you do the above like he said, you'll have to make sure you get a downpipe that doesn't replace the main cat. (maybe you'd be better off just gutting the pre-cats and buying a test pipe to bolt in place of the main cat)

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Since you are storing it for winter, you could install the stillen dp which offers outstanding improvements in exhaust flow, and sounds great too. The good thing about the stillen is that it replaces the main cat and front precat and if you need to pass an inspection it is an easy job to remove the dp and reinstall the factory cat and precat back on to run thru inspection then change back to the pipe. Takes about an hour to change the pipe by yourself with a floor jack. Maybe less once you've done it a few times.
I'd gut the rear precat and replace the dp for inspection then reinstall it during non inspection periods. I think all of the DPs have some type of fitment issues, it depends on how you install it for first gens, just install the rear precat flange first then the front and you should have no probs.

Love my Stillen DP. Was the single best performance mod I made so far - well, the best for under 500 bucks. (I've got a new block and bigger turbos)

Lord Warlock

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Welcome to the board by the way

·
Damn Money Pit!!!
1,796 Posts
Welcome to the board, nice find on a car. You'll be happier with the Stealth that you would have been with the S2000 anyways! Trust Me!!!

I love my ATR DP, BUT I would have rather got the Stillen DP like LW. Just for the fact that it removes the cat. But if you are worried about inspection go buy yourself the ATR DP and then the ATR High Flow Cat and you'll be fine and dandy!

Would you pass inspection if you gutted the precats but left the high flow ATR cat on??? Hmmm!!!

·
Jordan
3,032 Posts
welcome to 3si. ;)

You can get the stillen downpipe, which replaces the pre-cats and the main cat. I'm pretty sure the supra injectors dont work with our cars because of how they spray. You can always pick up a greddy type 's' BOV to get a nice little "sheeessshhh" sound when you shift. :p If your going to upgrade your injectors, i recommend upgrading your fuel pump to a walbro or supra fuel pump. Check up on the 3si vendors and the parts for sale and group buy sections to get some good finds for cheap. :)

edit: I also have an ATR 3" test pipe that will replace your main cat for sale.... just Private Message me and let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help, especially on the stillen dp's. I had actually came to the conclusion that these were ones to stay away from because some have said they dont fit correctly. I will be watcing the group buy on them.

On the injector question, the stealth tt has top feed injectors, correct? Do you think 450cc eclipse would be ok. My goal is to get in the low 400 hp range. Would this mod be neccessary taking into consideration of the mods which will include the stillen dp? Or would it be better to get 550cc. I have noticed a couple of people use supra injectors listed in there sigs. , just looking to make hp increases without breaking the bank. Again thanxs for the help.

·
Damn Money Pit!!!
1,796 Posts
I got my 450's from a used DSM for $200 shipped/cleaned/flow tested!!! They work just fine! To get into the 400hp at the crank it is not need, but if you are looking for 400AWHP then yes it is!!! My ATR DP was a perfect fit!!! no problems!!!

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
I got the ATR downpipe and it doesn't replace any precats. Stillen will only replace the front precat but not the rear precat. If you get the DN Pre-cat elimators... it is kinda expensive but it will also take you a long time to replace. It is almost like replace the turbos cause it is involved with a lot of removing parts.. not mention your bolts and nuts will be hard to get off...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts