Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a rod knocking like the devil trying to escape hell.

I would like any advice at all anyone is willing to toss my way. I paid what I believe to be a relatively low price for the car considering it doesn't really have a scratch. ding or dent on it. Everything is original besides the roughly $5,000 bucks in tires and rims. ( worth more then I Paid for the car)

I think I have decided to keep the car. I have found a possible engine from a totaled 94 RT TT. However it has been out in the elements for several years and who knows what issues it is going to have.

I am by no means a mechanic, just an enthusiast that knows enough to mess things up.

I guess I am asking does it make more sense to buy a prebuilt motor and put in the car? Replace the rod and leave the car factory? Replace and upgrade rod, pistons... turbos.... well everything.

Money is always a factor, but its not tight.

What motors will fit in this car/transmission?
Any advice on builds etc would be greatly appreciated.

·
Verified Seller
228 Posts
I have a 91 with rod knock, I sourced a 2 bolt block and I’m having it built by Merkel/Dave in NY.

You could either pull your motor and have it sent out, or source another motor like the one from the totaled RT and have that sent to a shop to be rebuilt.

Or hit up familyman on this forum for his 4g63 conversion mount and transplant the eclipse motor into your car.

Many ways to go about it, and a lot of shops booked up with certain OEM parts hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
if it were mine I’d probably just do a rebuild and either bigger turbos or full e85. After watching @bboyalan video on YouTube of a full e85 stock turbo car it looked like the way to go for a nicer daily.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,683 Posts
Welcome. Teardown the original engine and inspect + assess the damage to determine what is salvageable. Depending on the price, the '94 engine could be a worthwhile purchase for parts (forged crank) and cores. In either event, both should be evaluated.

You have yet to specify any goals for the car. If you are just trying to enjoy it, then keep it stock-ish or light BPU. There are still other areas that may need attention, such as the presumably original transaxle and transfer case. Old is old regardless of miles, so maintenance must be anticipated as such.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 94 engine wouldnt work without modification 91 thru 93 used a manual crank angle sensor located left side of the engine where 94 and newer use a sensor located on the right side in the timing cover . I would just rebuild the one you have that way you know what youve got .

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,683 Posts
The 94 engine wouldnt work without modification 91 thru 93 used a manual crank angle sensor located left side of the engine where 94 and newer use a sensor located on the right side in the timing cover . I would just rebuild the one you have that way you know what youve got .
Yes and no... it is as simple as moving the 1G optical CAS and mounting plate onto the head - same location. You can also use the 2G hall effect sensors and get a conversion harness to keep things simple for PnP and vice-versa. Nothing new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts