Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any brand of timing belt has the 5 marks already on it to make sure they are all lined up correctly? I have done a Toyota belt before but not a DOHC v6. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
The belt has nothing to do with the timing marks. Cam gears and crank cog have the marks on them. That's all you need.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes thank you I am aware of that. I just noticed it looks like the gates belt does have some lines on it to match up with the cam and crank sprockets and timing marks to ease the install.
The problem I see here is that when crank gear and sprockets are on they’re correct mark, the belt marks can’t be anywhere near corresponding teeth. Because corresponding teeth on all gears are not touching belt at all.

·
Curmudgeon
5,398 Posts
Let me start by saying that I have no idea about those marks. I've never used a Gates belt, and I've never heard anyone mention them before. But to your point that "when crank gear and sprockets are on they’re correct mark, the belt marks can’t be anywhere near corresponding teeth" , that's true for the front marks. If those lines are intended for the second marks, the ones on the back of the sprockets that align with the marks on the valve cover, well, I suppose it's possible....

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
......If those lines are intended for the second marks, the ones on the back of the sprockets that align with the marks on the valve cover, well, I suppose it's possible....
Interesting, never paid any attention to different marks on back of sprockets. What indication would be used at crank gear if that was possibly?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Interesting, never paid any attention to different marks on back of sprockets. What indication would be used at crank gear if that was possibly?
Never mind Steve, after some thought I suspect there would be no line at crank sprocket and normal alignment to mark on oil pump would still be used there. Just seems it would be harder to get belt in correct orientation than to just use normal procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts