Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Unce unce
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my testpipe put in. Sounds cool. I took off in second earlier to see if it gave me anything. Not much at low RPMs, but once it got higher up I definately felt some gain there. Anyway I hear this vibrating sound in the back. I can't tell if it's outside or inside. Any ideas on what it could be back there? It's not a low hum vibrating sound, it's like a rattle. Yeah, that's the word I was looking for.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
my testpipe sounds really deep in low rpm's and as it goes higher, the sound is alright.

i have the same rattling sound too but i have mine when i installed my frontpipe. wonder what it is? :confused:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
you guys need to check if you have any rusted connections that broke off. It shouldn't rattle like that. I've had my test pipe on my car for 3000 miles and I've never had a problem w/ it. No noise or anything.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I think what you guys are hearing is resonance caused by too much exhaust going trhough too small a pipe. The test pipe increases exhaust velocity and the stock catback can't flow enough.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Which diameter pipe did you get? I got the 2.5 for my N/A and have no rattle issues. Did you replace your gaskets around the test pipe? If the gaskets aren't seated properly...it may rattle. The only thing I've noticed is that if I just rev it up beyond 5 grand and quickly let off the throttle I get a small backfire...but I pretty much have to try to make that happen.

·
Deal with it
3,135 Posts
Could be a leak in the system, most likely a gasket issue if this is the problem.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
I just drove mine and I think I know what you are talking about. It really isn't a rattle...but more of a buzzing sound. Yeah, that is going to remain unless you change your muffler to a different design...and even then. You have altered the air flow though the stock piping.....which like a musical instrument..pruduces a certain tone that they try to make desirable in engineering......removing the cat changes the flow and thus the "note" you hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.