Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted opinions of all the guys/gals who have boost controllers. Just want to know which is the Best bang for the buck. Since i am not going to race unless someone acts funny on the road and I am sugar high so basically it's for everyday driving for now. Which would be the best applicable

or Just tell me which one you have and how do you like it or not?. And what other mods do you have.

Raja
94 Vr4.
K&N Racing Intake
Borla Exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Raja (edited December 11, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm kind of curious myself! Next time phrase the subject like " My friend has an Apexi boost controller and says it SUCKS!" then you will get some responses for sure! LOL!Just kidding!

·
Registered
334 Posts
HKS EVC IV or A'PEXi AVC-R both are good maybe one more than the other. Around 450$ or less is a good price.

Mario

M

·
0 Posts
Everyone seems to really recommend the Blitz DSBC!!! That is what I will be getting.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have the Blitz DSBC and I love it. It's very easy to use (after you find directions) and seems to be very reliable. Roger has a very good "manual" he put together on his web site that explains how it works and how to tune it in. (Thanks Roger!) It's a pretty easy install as well.

Dan
Roger's Blitz DSBC Manual

[This message has been edited by DanM_94_VR4 (edited December 12, 1999).]

·
AZ 3/S Tech
1,264 Posts
blitz DSBC....no fuzzy logic crap to decide for you how much boost / cheap / 2!! online installation giudes (vr4 specific) / online users manual / self contained wiring harness ? quick and easy install/ very small size allows for multiple mounting locations / blitz sells a DIN conversion kit to house the unit!

just my opinion
Tim Yerkes
cincy

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the ProFec B. I have heard it's real simple and easy to use and also reliable. Anyone out there using Profec B maybe would like to enlighten me/us.?

Raja
94 vr4

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sittin' pretty with the HKS EVC IV. Easy installation, roughly 45 minutes... and mounted it under the replacement Kenwood on the lower DIN.

Once I trained it, it has been flawless. Ran the car in on the Autocross circuit this summer, kept up with the 911's, Lotus' and Viper's. Looks cool, performs excellent.

Travis.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you don't need cockpit adjustability, I highly recommend the Hallman ball and spring boost controller for $90. Set it and forget it. Rock solid boost with no spikes. I had it in my Talon w/ no problems ans now its in my Stealth. Go to http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/

'91 TT, ATR downpipe, ATR cat-back, Akimoto Intake

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
My EVC IV works perfectly. One of my buddies had a Profec B on his GMC Syclone and the stepping motor went bad and blew up his engine. If you wanted a cheaper alternative go with the Hallman. I think I'm going to get one of those for my Typhoon....

Trevor
96 R/T TT
[email protected]
[email protected] 0-60 4.14 Gtech
92 GMC Typhoon
[email protected] 0-60 5.09 Gtech

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Well I'll stick up for the APEXi AVC-R. I have had it in my car since late summer an am impressed with it. It is very easy to use and has a load of features. I was one of the lucky ones that purchased them from Indra at the beginning and only paided $399.

Andy
93 VR4

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Well I'll stick up for the APEXi AVC-R. I have had it in my car since late summer an am impressed with it. It is very easy to use and has a load of features. I was one of the lucky ones that purchased them from Indra at the beginning and only paided $399.

Andy
93 VR4

Damn these get sent fast, I thought I stopped the first in time so I could change the Icon, guess not

[This message has been edited by Andy C (edited December 13, 1999).]

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
These are currently the best EBC available :
- Apexi S-AVC-R 1 (old)
- Apexi S-AVC-R 2 (new style)
- Blitz DSBC

The low budget ones are :
- Greddy Profec (the one without fuzzy)
- EVC IV

Non electronic ones
- Hallman
- Extreme

C

·
0 Posts
I have the Profec B and it's been over a year with no problems. It took me just minutes to install and setup too!

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Pass the crack Roger!!! The HKS EVC IV is a "Budget" boost controller??? You must be thinking of the HKS EVC EZ. The EVC IV is $445+.

Personally I don't want an Apexi or Blitz that you have to monkey with time and again to get the boost you want without getting overboost. I would be wondering to myself if I had eeked every last piece of performance out of those adjusments. With the EVC IV it maxes out both turbo response and boost level, no questions. I also HATE the fact that it's gonna be your mommy and watch the Injector Pulse Width, cutting off boost when it thinks the injectors have had enough. Personally, I'll make that stinkin decision myself by monitoring knock, O2, and EGT!

The EVC IV does a great job at controling boost, what I purchased it for. You teach it once, it learns, then continues to adjust itself to minimize lag. No BS gimmicks, no adjustments (am I SURE it's optimized?), no hacking on the ECM wiring harness, and no "big brother" watching over your shoulder to make sure your not stressing the poor defenseless injectors!

Trevor

Sorry, I vented a little too much!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Trevor, you are wrong in some stuff you are speaking about. There is NO EBC that does limit anything due to maxxed out injectors. This is only a monitor function of the Apexi ones ... no limiting or mummy stuff. I said "cheap" for the IV due to it's possibilities. It works but not as good as other because it is somewhat outdated. The boost you set on the IV and the EZ is often not what you really get and with a little overboost at the beginning you can achieve higher contignous boost. The HKS is a lill more limited than others. Regarding the "mummy-complex" can you tell me what it does in the Blitz and the Apexi ? I guess you vented too much and that you lost the objectivity regarding the functionalities.

The HKS EBC are not bad but also not at the top of the edge. I just do not understand why HKS is not making any further development (how old are their BC and how old is the VPC...)

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I thought that the Apexi cuts back boost when the injectors hit 100% IDC??? Oh well.
Sorry but I don't have any of the problems you list with my EVC. I set a boost level, it reaches the boost level (with a possible though not likely .1 or .2psi overboost), and it maintains the set boost level for as long as possible.
On the other hand I think it's more vulnerable to screw ups when it's not installed proplerly. I've heard a few bad stories about ones that wouldn't learn or always overboost. I'm pretty sure mine works so well because I used ultra short hose lengths to the stepping motor. Everybody sing along now:
USE THE SHORTEST HOSES POSSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT CARRIES A BOOST SIGNAL!!!!
That includes pressure sensors, boost gauges, blow off valves, boost controllers, and fuel pressure regulators. This causes a cleaner and more responsive signal.
And as far as them not updating the design goes have you ever heard the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Trev

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited December 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited December 14, 1999).]

K

·
0 Posts
I have the Blitz and recommend it. One nice thing about it is that it is small and has a built in boost gauge. It will mount to the top of the steering column with some velcro and save you the cost of an aftermarket boost gauge. Since it sits just below the speedometer, it is in reasonable eye sight there.

I find that being able to easily change the boost settings from daily driving settings to an out setting (within reason) for running up against someone is a nice feature. The overboost limiter is also nice to have.

The Blitz unit does provide you with all the tools to safely boost, but it does not take the hand holding approach of one of the fuzzy logic units.

You pretty much do need to have an aftermarket intake in order to find a spot to mount the solenoid box in the engine compartment though.

--- Ken
'95 VR4
ATR Exhaust, HKS intake, Blitz DSBC, Magnacore wires, NGK plugs gapped to .032".

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
What's the word on the $550 boostcontroller I think is made by HKS that has the fuzzy logic? Is that too hard to use for novices? I plan on putting alot of money into my TT instead of getting a Viper, which I had planned for the past 2 years, and I know I can get it to whoop up a venom 650 with enough work. But only if I get the best of the best parts. So what would be the best of the best on the boost controller, not worrying about price?

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts