Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 93 RT/TT for four days now and have a few questions I would really like some input on. Any help would be appreciated. Ther they are:

1: When I bought the car, the person before me had 245/35/17 tires in the front and 245/55/17 in the rear. With the AWD system will this have damaged the car? It seems to drive fine and feels solid. I have changed all 4 tires to the recomended size, but wondering if I should change fluids in rearend etc?

2: I am fairly mechanically inclined and want to do my own timing belt. Really bad idea? I have all the tools and manuals, just wondering what your experiences have been.

3: What are some good sites for aftermarket performance parts or body parts? I'm thinking of up-grading the flip-up headlights.

4: Also wondering what is the logical order for mods? What do you start with and what order should things be done in?

Any comment on any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason.

Sorry, I forgot one. With the active exhaust, should there be an audible difference when it is changed to touring? I can't tell a difference.

[This message has been edited by jduncalfe (edited December 15, 1999).]

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes it could have damaged your car! The viscous coupling is inside your tranny. Unfourtunatley, the Getrag tranny is THE weak link in our cars. If it seems to drive fine, I wouldn't worry a great deal about it though. Might wanna change your tranny fluid over to Redline just to be sure. DO a search on this board using the word "redline" in it. There is a 50/50 mix of two Redline tranny fluids that seem to work the best.

I also consider myself mechanically inclined but the timing belt change seems to be a HUGE deal. There was a page on the net that went step by step through the timing belt change. I can't remember where it is... anyone remember?

For aftermarket work check out... www.gtpro.com www.dynamicracing1.com www.acceleratedaccessories.com www.alamomotorsports.com
that is listed in my own prefered order.
GT-Pro has some unique and high end quality performance products for our cars. Brian is VERY helpful and VERY informative.
Dynamic Racing deals with with GT-Pro products as well as carrying the usual performance stuff for our cars. Talk to Matt over there. He's a great guy and is willing to discuss at length any performance issues you might have.

BTW Brian over at GT-Pro has done several front-end conversions for the 3/S. That includes the upgraded lights!

Ok.... initial mods... Boost Controller, K&N air filter, plugs gapped to .034 and a REAL boost guage. Thats the start. The boost controller mod is the best Bang for Buck mod you can do. You can even go cheap and control your boost with an aquarium valve that you pick up at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks! Make sure to gap your plugs down to .032 and get a real boost guage. The stock boost guage is HIGHLY innacurate. It shows over 14psi when you are really at about 11psi. Its pratically useless.

Any more questions... just ask!

Jose Soriano
AmahoserLinkline.com

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
welcome to the club, buddy. In addition to the list of performance shops' names you can also ask roger G. for advice. Who's done lot of research on these cars...he's the one whose got all the formulas in his head and is constanly calculating how to get hp without knock
hehehehehe. If your car is bone stock, the first step toward mods is to change the plugs, oil, check compression, etc. after that you can go with the mods...the first mod I recommend and I am sure everybody else does is to get a boost controller. YOu'll really feel the power! ehheheehehe BTW, I am selling my HKS EVC ez boost controller for $300 including shipping. the reason for me selling it is because I want something like the appex AVCR or the evc 4 that have a fuzzy logic computer...well, take care and let me know if you are interested. mY e-mail is [email protected] if you have any questions. Everybody on this msgboard is extremely nice and would be very happy to help you with your questions an concerns. take care!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey welcome to the club dude!! And be prepared to go FAST
Go go turbos!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm here to dispell the myth that changing your own timing belt is beyond the abilities of the average mechanically-inclined 3000/Stealth owner! I'm living proof!

I just did my timing belt last week and it really wasn't that big of a deal in my opinion (and no, I don't work on cars for a living either
). I just borrowed the right tools (thanks Motorhead!) and followed step by step from the manual. When you look at all the steps in the manual, it looks confusing and complicated (especially the part about getting the timing marks aligned), but when you're actually doing it its pretty easy to figure out. The hardest part is the fact that there's not a lot of room to get at some of the bolts but its not that bad.

Oversimplifying, but basically you just remove all the parts that are in the way of the timing belt, align the marks, loosen the tensioner, remove the belt, replace the water pump , tensioner, and idler bearings, put on the new belt and put it all back together.

I think most people are scared off by getting the timing marks aligned correctly, but as long as you line everything up BEFORE you take the old belt off, everything should be more or less lined up for the new belt. Only one sprocket (front bank intake) moved when I took the old belt off, so all I had to do is line that one up when I put the new belt on. Make sure you follow the manual where it says to rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise one tooth before installing the new belt and everything will line right up.

Make sure you order the other two accesory belts, a water pump, a timing belt tensioner, and the two idler bearings the timing belt rides on when you order the belt (makes sense to play it safe and do everything at once). Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. My project this weekend is to change all the fluids in the car and the back brakes which are shot. Going to take a look at the timing belt too and decide whether or not to do it.

Thanks agian,
Jason

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Welcome!! You bought the right car!! 3000GT's and Stealths are great cars, and you will enjoy modifying it and as the HP grows, you will become addicted to your car, I promise!! Anyways, if you ever need any help, that is what I do!! you can contact me at [email protected] or WWW.GTPRO.COM I am happy to help!! Welcome to the club!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts