Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3000gt vr-4 still has the original speakers in the car and I'm looking to upgrade or at least get new speakers. Is there any recommendations that work with the car good or does just about anything work?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,319 Posts
Main concerns:

1. Front speakers - can't have a center tweeter that sticks out far from the face of the speaker or the door panel cover wont fit.
2. Rear speakers - might have to cut some of the plastic from the stock enclosure to fit a bigger magnet
3. Difficult to retain tweeters, if you have them.

Its been about 10 years since i replaced mine, but i just got some kenwoods that were on sale at best buy at the time. I also got a single din headunit and use those for the speakers. I have a bandpass box with amp and 2 10s in the back for bass, but dont use the amp for the cabin speakers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I recently installed a set of Harmony speakers in my 1993 VR4 with OEM head unit, all stock radio wiring, etc., and am happy with the results.

Door: Harmony HA-R65
Rear: Harmony HA-R69
Wiring adapters: HA-729301

A complete package with all speakers and wiring adapters is available on Amazon for $105.95 as of now. This is marketed as a OEM-compatible replacement for improved sound with OEM radio: Amazon.com: Compatible with Mitsubishi 3000GT 1991-1999 OEM Speaker Replacement Harmony R65 R69 Package: Car Electronics

The rear speakers are a direct fit replacement.

The door speakers require drilling 4 new holes in the stock plastic speaker mounting plate to line up with the mounting holes on new speakers.

The wiring adapters are a bit janky and don't fully clip/lock with the factory connector, but it plugs together and makes sufficient contact.

I can post some pictures later.

For the dashboard speakers, I've ordered brand new OEM speakers through my dealer because there is no direct fit aftermarket optional available, and I don't really want to deal with fabricating adapter plates and creating an obviously non-OEM look. They had to be ordered from Japan, so they are taking quite a while to arrive. Ninja Performance also stocks them: Mitsubishi OEM Dash Speaker MR207971 (MR207971) - Ninja Performance - Affordable Performance Auto

OEM part number for dashboard speakers is MR207971 or MB771611. I believe MR207971 is the newer part number (supercedes MB771611), but both are compatible.

DISCLAIMER: The info in this post is known to be relevant to 3000GTs with NON-Infinity sound systems! I know for sure that the OEM dashboard speakers I referenced do not work with OEM Infinity sound systems. I don't know if the Harmony speakers I reference are a good match for Infinity systems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad to see this thread. I was looking to find some good near stock replacements a month ago but got discouraged when all I could find on here were speakers that have been out of production for a decade

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some pictures of the Harmony speakers installed, and comparison to old deteriorated OEM speakers...

View attachment 287793

View attachment 287794

View attachment 287795

View attachment 287796
I recently installed a set of Harmony speakers in my 1993 VR4 with OEM head unit, all stock radio wiring, etc., and am happy with the results.

Door: Harmony HA-R65
Rear: Harmony HA-R69
Wiring adapters: HA-729301

A complete package with all speakers and wiring adapters is available on Amazon for $105.95 as of now. This is marketed as a OEM-compatible replacement for improved sound with OEM radio: Amazon.com: Compatible with Mitsubishi 3000GT 1991-1999 OEM Speaker Replacement Harmony R65 R69 Package: Car Electronics

The rear speakers are a direct fit replacement.

The door speakers require drilling 4 new holes in the stock plastic speaker mounting plate to line up with the mounting holes on new speakers.

The wiring adapters are a bit janky and don't fully clip/lock with the factory connector, but it plugs together and makes sufficient contact.

I can post some pictures later.

For the dashboard speakers, I've ordered brand new OEM speakers through my dealer because there is no direct fit aftermarket optional available, and I don't really want to deal with fabricating adapter plates and creating an obviously non-OEM look. They had to be ordered from Japan, so they are taking quite a while to arrive. Ninja Performance also stocks them: Mitsubishi OEM Dash Speaker MR207971 (MR207971) - Ninja Performance - Affordable Performance Auto

OEM part number for dashboard speakers is MR207971 or MB771611. I believe MR207971 is the newer part number (supercedes MB771611), but both are compatible.

DISCLAIMER: The info in this post is known to be relevant to 3000GTs with NON-Infinity sound systems! I know for sure that the OEM dashboard speakers I referenced do not work with OEM Infinity sound systems. I don't know if the Harmony speakers I reference are a good match for Infinity systems.
Was the sound level from these speakers still near stock? I know the stock speakers and amp were rated at a really low wattage (like 32) and am concerned about having very quiet speakers due to not having the amp to power them to full potential. I know very little about audio so apologies if my theory is totally off but just want something that'll work so I don't have to think about it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Volume level with the Harmony speakers seems good. I didn't attempt any back-to-back volume comparisons with stock speakers, but the harmony speakers do not seem "quiet" to me. I also don't blast music super loud, though. I have plenty of volume to clearly hear my music while driving on the freeway without maxing out the volume setting. My OEM speakers were so deteriorated that it wasn't worth trying to listen to music at anything but low volumes because of the horrible distorted sound.

My understanding is that the peak/rms rated wattage isn't what's important for matching volume/efficiency of OEM speakers, but sensitivity. The Harmony speakers are rated for sensitivity of 90 dB front, 92 dB rear. I haven't been able to find sensitivity specs for OEM speakers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good to hear. Mine are still useable but I can tell that the cones in my doors are definitely shot. I have the infinity system but I imagine it can't be too far off so I may give these a try soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you @UselessPickes for posting. I have a 1994 VR-4 and having been shopping for speakers for years now. I bought the Harmony HA-65 two years ago but had to return them. The installer said they would not work for my OEM setup but I don't recall the reason. Are you familiar with differences between '93 vs. '94 VR-4 speakers?

Do you have any issues with the new speakers causing the speaker panel to protrude?

How much did the dealer charge for MR207971?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you familiar with differences between '93 vs. '94 VR-4 speakers?
Not really. I would expect physical dimensions to be identical across all years of the 3000GT/Stealth. IIRC, there are differences in speaker impedance for some of the speakers in the Infinity systems vs non-Infinity systems. I'm curious to know why an installer said the Harmony HA-65 wouldn't work on the doors. Harmony claims it fits all years.

Do you have any issues with the new speakers causing the speaker panel to protrude?
Everything went back together (both front and rear) without modification (except new mounting holes for fronts), and without any noticeable contact between the speakers and the interior panels or speaker covers.

How much did the dealer charge for MR207971?
They matched Ninja Performance's price for me (~$70 each). It was convenient because I was also ordering another part that I could only get through the dealer via special order (brand new power seat lumbar/bolster switch!).

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I put some new Rockford Fosgates in my 93 vr4 a few years ago. Documented it here:

The only real modification was getting the tweeters to fit where the stock ones were. I modified some old mudflaps to help mount them, but now that I have a 3d printer I'd probably print something instead.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I wouldnt mind upgrading my speakers but the whirring noise drowns em out, how do you get rid of hearing the engine through the stereo? Makes me not want to even bother with speakers.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,319 Posts
I wouldnt mind upgrading my speakers but the whirring noise drowns em out, how do you get rid of hearing the engine through the stereo? Makes me not want to even bother with speakers.
Are you using non-resistor plugs? That's usually the reason, or you have a wiring issue giving feedback.

I run non-resistor plugs and i have zero feedback in speakers, but i never play AMFM radio, only a USB directly into the headunit. Nowadays that i dont daily my VR4 anyways, i actually dont even turn on the radio lol, just windows down exhaust noise :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts