Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f10/93-vr4-jdm-engine-6sp-trans-chrome-ecu-many-more-brand-new-upgrades-8k-648593/

It runs and seems to work pretty good there are just some minor odds and ends i need help figuring out.

Also i could use help because my dad and i are both sort of invalids. i broke my hand aand my dad broke his foot. just so happened we had surgery at the same time. so this is why any help out all would be great.

I would be willing to reward your help with some pizza, beer, perhaps even a little something to bring home. If the work becomes any sort of significant and you continue to help, perhaps an appropriate gift card. in other words id like to give you something but seeing as how im not working im limited.

Issues: check for my recent posts for more info, or i can write more later but stuff like this:

-drivers window not going under the clip and shutting flush
-weird noise around a carrier bearing (might be a cover or shield)
-some chattering noise under the hood that comes and goes
-fuel gauge well west of E

If you could come to loveland ohio i would really appreciate it.
I had a stealth in the past and some members on here were very helpful with. i didnt forget it and i hope the community is still like this.

pm or text me

-Nate-
513-417-2859

·
Way2Fast3KGT
479 Posts
Driver's windows; There's not a lot that goes on with the windows. The track could be off or bent inside the door or the clip could be bent or misaligned.

Carrier Bearing noise; Not sure what this could be. There's nothing around the carrier bearing. However, the carrier barrier is something that is known to become an issue of a car with a lot of hard launches. Perhaps look into replacing the bearing.

Chattering noise; Is the noise there when the clutch is pressed in? If the noise comes and goes with the push of the clutch pedal, that would be your throw out bearing.

Fuel gauge; no idea :D Sounds like it's not getting signal from the sending unit on top of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where are you in ohio. like i said i have a broken hand and my dad a broken foot so i could really use and extra hand.

can anyone come help?

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Sorry, Loveland is too far to go for pizza and beer.

I dont recall anyone with mechanical savvy in your corner of the state.

I hope you both heal up well and quickly.

-SP

·
VR4 Fixing Fettish
786 Posts
I recently moved out of ohio but would have loved to help... god only knows why ha. So I will include my two cents below.

This is more than likely a track or molding issue. More than likely the track. No telling without taking the door off.

by carrier bearing do you mean around the drive shaft? If the bearing is destroyed you might hear noise. When do you hear/experience it? Are you sure it's coming from that area. There are tons of bushing/bearings on this car, all of which like to talk back to a new owner. Just the 3S being old and friendly (or not-friendly depending on your take).

Again a lot of things go on under the hood. Describe the noise, location, and what conditions you notice when it makes the noise. We have common issues like lifter tick, but it could be something more significant.

Had the issue on mine. Poor ground, and rusted top fuel hat. Verify that your wiring into the fuel hat is good (part 1), but also make sure your hat itself is not in very poor condition. Unfortunately this more than likely you need to replace the sending unit and or fuel hat. Rarely do you see it is caused by the cluster or ECU.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its right around the drivers front carrier bearing by the halfshaft. the previous owner inspected it, bought a bearing, then decided it was the cover and not the bearing. how do i fix it/adjust it?

the noise is not there at all while turning and drving sometimes, other times its there, its speed changes, it comes and goes, its not always there during the same conditions. seems random

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedback.

can anyone locally help?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump it.

·
VR4 Fixing Fettish
786 Posts
So it's not a carrier bearing? Carrier bearings are on the drive shaft. Do you mean the wheel bearing? Or maybe he is talking about the Dust cover scraping against the rotor.

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Our stock window regulators suck! Real bad. They decided to use parts of plastic to hold massive tension to move the window. It could be a defective window regulator. Easiest way to find out what’s going on with the window is to remove the door panel (super easy) and see what’s happening when you lower the window.
Stealth 316 - Door Trim Replacement

It’s interesting that you immediately pointed out that a noise coming from around a carrier bearing. How did you find that out? <--This is important. Did you put the car up on a lift and tried to rattle the drive shaft? If your CB are shot or dry rotted, or just plain ugly looking, then you could have a driveshaft hitting other parts of the car. Like an exhaust pipe. These things are pretty close together. What about a driveshaft joint? Any noise from there?

Chatter noise? From under the hood? If you still have the stock boost solenoid, it could be just that which is chattering. Happens all the time. Totally normal. Next time it happens, pop the hood and listen to it. It’s on the firewall by the way, behind the plenum.

I cannot help you with the fuel gauge. Maybe a fuse went out? Not sure. Maybe you just need to put in gas! :p

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this had a 3 port boost solenoid. someone said it could be a throwout bearing. but idk.

the noise is while driving. but seems random from what i can tell so far. havent driven it much tho.

i will say this. its not always when the clutch is pressed in/out, and it doesnt always seems to line up with clutch, could be wrong tho.

if it was a bad throw out bearing what other symptoms would i have.

its like a loud chatter, tick, but louder than lifter tick for sure.

it usually happens for about 5 seconds randomly while driving, then goes away and might come back 1-2 time during a 15 minute drive.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i boought the car from this user. he even uploaded a video and bought a carrier bearing.

but i asked him about it and said he never installed it bc it wasnt the bearing. he said its the cover of the carrier bearing, whatever that means????

soemthing is rubbing. check out the video he posted on page 2-3.

the noise is somettimes there sometimes not. its not the dust shield for the brakes, he ruled that out after carefully checking and adjusting. noise comes and goes while driving as it pleases. seems to match the speed of the car i think, but i could be wrong. not while turning, usually cruising between 10-40, and comes and goes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see link directly above^^^

·
ATL
7,617 Posts
Hey man I bought your old single turbo and green NA, it's a bit of a hike from me, but if I ever head out that way I'll be sure to lend you a hand if you need it.

·
VR4 Fixing Fettish
786 Posts
I'm in Washington DC now haha, used to be close to columbus, so I can't make it up there :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys let me know if anyone can come

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i gave more information on the issues. specifically the noises. anymore input about that?

anyone around cincy?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bump...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts