Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 3000gt sohc I've always loved the way these cars look. Obviously I wanted the vr4 but couldn't find one I can afford around here. Found this one on the side of the road for 1750.00 talked him down to 1400.00 due to the fact it ran horrible. Found a plug wire had come off in the back but it still ran bad cold. Pulled the brand new autolite plugs he installed and put ngk now it runs great. Now I'm working on the timing belt and a few other things to get her ready for the road. Very happy with the way it runs and the interior is awesome. Worst part of this car is a small dent that chipped the paint and the clear coat is pealing.

I'm sure you will see me around as I plan to fix this up and eventually do some mods. Actually bought this to drive while I finish modding my truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Got the first bling for the engine. My main goal is to make it look and run perfect first then do some mods on the motor. Needed hoses and I got these cheaper than stock ones from the local store. I've also bought a few missing panels but still need a few more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Decided she was too quiet so I cut the exhaust between the flex pipe and the non monitored cat. Ran a pipe all the way back as seen and stopped just after the small resinator / muffler. Didn't make it much louder as it still has the front cats and stock muffler. Gave a nice growl as a pass people. I work at a shop that also does exhaust so I make cook up something but may just buy a different muffler/ tip setup .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we got slow at work so I removed the muffler under the rear bumper now and put straight pipes with a tuner style tip. The tips have built in barrels but I doubt they do much. Looks and sounds great. Still not as loud as I thought it would be but plenty loud for me. I expected to have to add a aftermarket muffler back in.

For anyone who doesn't know this is what the stock muffler looks like, on a 98 base.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also had a starting issue. I found this to be a common problem. 3SX offered a kit but I made my own. Works great now. In the center of the pic is the pigtail you tap into basically you use one side to trigger a relay and run the load side of the relay to the other. The side with a fatter wire goes to the starter and is the one you want the relay to power.

I know I need to clean under the engine bay just got the car so bare with me

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out my boss has another 3000gt at our other store. He said it's not running but would be great for parts. I'm going to get it if it's the right price. Don't know anything about it yet. Didn't want to ask too many questions and have to pay more because he would realize it's worth more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I haven't got to go look at it yet. But already bought it for 400.00

Story is it came into the shop with a miss and one of there techs did a tune up and a timing belt and now it won't start. IDK if I'll fix it yet as I still haven't looked at it but figured how can I go wrong at that price. May be a couple weeks before I tow it but I may ride the bike down and look at it on my next day off.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,473 Posts
Both look nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up the car. It's a bit tougher than I thought but not destroyed. It has a dohc w/ a 5 speed. Vin comes up as a base so I expected a dohc. Also turns out the car was green before it was painted blue. The timing belt was never replaced but seems to have a lot of slack. I'm going to inspect it further before trying to start it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't figure anyone would want the stock exhaust. If so I have that one and the blue car has a near perfect one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is an excellent project :) Sounds a lot of fun ahead. I do want to install a really louder on mine, but have no idea about what to do on it yet, since I'm working on a few other parts right now. Carid had one really loud, but it's not for the SL... Any ideas?

Congrats for the 2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Louder what? Muffler? I decided it would be to hard to just replace the muffler so that's why I did it that way. It's a fwd car so I have plenty of room under for a muffler. if I decide to put one back it will go in the middle of the car like most cars. Or just be muffled tips like I have now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm honestly thinking about fixing the dohc and putting it and the 5 speed in the red car. And put the sohc atx in the blue one. Reason being red one has a sun roof and leather interior plus it just looks better. Kinda like the short wing on the blue one vs my giant one on the red car.

Maybe I'll swap that too then paint it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts