Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Just joined the community the other day... I bought my ‘92 VR-4 from a mechanic who only used it at the track. The car has loads of road-track Performance parts, but my goal is to bring her back to be street legal and weekend track warrior. Overall our goal is to make her reliable, legal, & safe and then build her up from there... Our 1st project is to get her to pass CA Smog. I’ve replaced the race exhaust with the original stock unit from the Pre-cats back. Currently her biggest issues are she smokes a bit on deceleration (valve stem seals) and she pop’s out of 2nd gear on deceleration... Anyway I hope to be involved and learn a lot from the community ~ So Happy you all are here and to be a part of 3Si!

7FF03938-E2E2-476A-B677-C8AB460C11B4.jpeg
CCB2C538-F653-4446-BC16-F5D3FC408CB0.jpeg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hate to say, but if you are looking to pass CA smog at a "legit" star station, you are going to have to do a lot more than put the cat(s) and exhaust back to pass the sniffer test. You can fail visual just for the IC piping. It's a nightmare, so you are better of finding "another way" to pass... Trust me I live in SoCal and have had a heavily modded '91 for 12 years.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with jrhorne, I gave up and registered my VR4 in Nevada where I have a business, office and 2nd home. NV has a classic car category that applies to any vehicle over 25 years old and which is driven less than 5,000 miles/year. They don't enforce the latter part btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts