Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all new to the club!
I have a 95 VR-4 that I just funcked-up Saturday nght! Had raced a Mustang Cobra and then lost control of the car. Did about 3 to 4 360's @85mph and took out a pole that cut the power for three blocks. Ripped off the nose of the car and bent two of my rims! Walked away with out a scratch!!! I'm looking at life in a whole new way now. Be safe guy's!!! It's so not worth it if spin out. Once you start sliding there's nothing you can do but hold on and close your eyes. Hopfully you get to open them when it's all over!!!

So! Do I go with the '99 front end??? It's the nicest in my opinion and Statefarm paying for it! Or just stay with the '95 font end? Does anyone know if the ActiveAero will still work with the '99 front end???

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ouch. I did about 2-360's on my car last year oh the highway when I had super slick tires on my car and it was really raining badly. Barely missed the gaurdrail and luckly for some reason there wasn't much traffic when there should have been.

Thats just my story but ScarletFeVR4 are you sure insurance wont salvage your car if you wreck the front? IMO I think the 99's look a lot nicer than the previous models. But they all look great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's guys I amazingly got out without a scratch. Since there was nohead-on collision the air-bags did not open. The driver-side door was wedged shut but mine was fine. They may total it out but not because it can't be repaired, but because the freekin' parts are so expensive plus labor. The value I believe is $17,500 for a '95 VR4 with 71,000miles but don't quote that. StateFarm has a limit on how much they will go to fix the damage. I know that if I could get the parts and a few Red-Necks up north could have it back to me better than before in a matter of week or two. But the insurance money has to go to the certified mecanic/body shop or the lein holder. If I could figure out how to get pics under this letter i'd post the damages.

Yes I did win the race, But who really won? The guy who still has his car in one peice....

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. Be careful next time.

Black94VR4

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The driver-side door was wedged shut but mine was fine"

See that my memory was affected!!!

Sorry the Passenger-side door

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Today i saw this riced out eclipse so i jumped in my car with my friend to go catch him. Well i pulled out a little too fast and hit some gravel.. I did one 360 in the road, regained control.. then pulled back into Texaco where i left.. it was crazy and i thank god i got control of my car again. It was interesting!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah It's funny how much I have been reading lately on how these cars do uncontrolable 360's so easily. I have had a Base Stealth for 6 years (FWD model) and never lost control of it! Must have something to do with the AWD or the weight distrabution on my VR4. I do have a HEAVY-ASS Sub box in the trunk too!

·
former 3s owner :**
2,561 Posts
i was just wondering how you "spin out" in awd?? :(

glad you are ok.. had a similar experience in a z28 at 100+ off the road before with similarly, my friends cobra.. heh.. :(

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
neophytal said:
i was just wondering how you "spin out" in awd?? :(

glad you are ok.. had a similar experience in a z28 at 100+ off the road before with similarly, my friends cobra.. heh.. :(
Turn the wheel and smash the gas when the turbo's are spooled.. that seemed to do the trick!

·
Registered
477 Posts
handling

So what, are you all just unflippable? It seems that no matter what you never hear of a VR4/TT flipping...I'm trying to buy one and I'm REALLY looking forward to doing brakes optional 90* turns but I'm not sure what kind of speed these cars can handle for doing a hard 90*. Any info etc. would be greatly helpful...and if it's so easy to spinout, then why does it seem to be so hard to do AWD donuts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE CAR AND I AM GLAD YOU ARE OK BUT HOW DO SPIN AT 85+ I'VE HAD MY 92 VR4 THAT FAST AND FASTER SO MANY TIMES AND IT HAS NEVER FELT THE LITTLEST BIT UNSTABL EVEN GOING INTO TURNS AT 100+. I AM NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS WANT TO KNOW.

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
These cars are not unflippable, hence me flipping my 92 a few Saturdays ago on I95 and landing upside down in a construction ditch. They are tanks however and I was lucky enugh to come out without a scratch. :mitsu:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HOW DO SPIN AT 85+ I'VE HAD MY 92 VR4 THAT FAST AND FASTER SO MANY TIMES AND IT HAS NEVER FELT THE LITTLEST BIT UNSTABL

You must not have read my thread on Drag-Racing with a Cobra...

I was ahead by about one car-length doing 85-90mph and basically ran out of road. Well it went into an ( S ) curve and then a major intersection. The Posted speed was 35mph. SO yeah it was a SHARP unexpected curve! Stupid,Stupid Stupid!!! But I've learned (The Hard Way) not to do that shit In-Town again!

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
During my accident, it was raining hard and I was going with the flow of traffic...hydroplaned.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Man, sucks that you crashed your car..

To answer the questions about how "easy" our cars are to spin. They really aren't THAT easy to spin (since you need to oversteer to spin, and our cars understeer)... BUT under the correct conditions, ANY car will spin.

Namely: acellerate, turn, hit brakes. The weight transfer will spin you every time, the back end flies out. This is the same as in ANY car.

I strongly suggest anyone with a 3S to participate in an Autocross competition, it's controlled chaos and really gives you a good feeling for what your car can do before spinning, etc.

I know I have had several close calls but was able to keep it under control because I know the limits of my car.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Yeah I had a GSX and it was the same way. It would lose traction and do 360's, but never flip of course. I never pushed it hard enough to spin out on dry road, but I did it a few times in the rain and snow. I never take turns that fast. I'm not confident enough, I always think the car is going to slide. In a RWD car you can break your back end lose and drift around corners a lot easier. With the AWD and FWD you seem to just break lose and slide off the road or start spinning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now the 360 spin was only because of the unexpected ( S ) curve that came up on me so fast! Believe me I've taken many on/off ramps to/from I-95 at speeds of 70-90mph and the car was freekin' huggin' the cuve all the way. The G-forces were pulling hard too! I am usually showing-off the AWD feature to new riders and It never even the slightest bit felt like it was going to spin-out from under me!!! I even practiced going to the cars "LIMIT" in an empty parking lot late one night! Deliberatly trying to Spin-out and Burn-out but these new Kuhmo tires wouldn't break loose at THAT particular time. SO don't anyone out there get the idea that the VR-4/TT's are unstable... It was the Driver (Me) that night being dumb-ass and not paying attention the road but the Cobra getting farther and farther away in my rearview mirror... Ahhh Maybe He knew about the S curve!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.