Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts!
Last weekend I purchased a 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. Has 75k miles and is overall in great condition. I plan on changing all the fluids, air, oil & fuel filters. Need the brakes inspected as well as a good general overall inspection. I plan to make the car as near perfect as I can. I am willing to pay the extra money to have it done correctly by a competent technician. During my drive home from the purchase I gave it full throttle on the freeway and the car seemed to hesitate and make a noise (popping) from under the car (I would think the exhaust system)? So will need that drivability issue checked and corrected. Car ran great overall and only did this during full throttle. I know this can be a myriad of things and don't want to just throw parts at it. So I am reaching out to everyone to see if they know of a good Japanese car repair establishment in the Monterey County area who can complete the maintenance work as well as help diagnose the drivability issue. Also wondering if there is a car club I can join in my area? Would love to meet other enthusiasts and maybe do a road rally/car show of some kind. Let me know if anyone can help?

Thank you,
Scott
831-206-6841

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,525 Posts
Welcome, Scott.

Central CA is kind of secluded from the more active clusters of 3S owners - NorCal and SoCal. Also, you would not want to take your car to just any Japanese/import mechanic... ideally, it should be someone that is somewhat familiar or specializes in these. The more basic stuff is whatever though.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bboyalan thanks for the reply. I hear what your saying. I need THAT guy. I can see that NorCcal and SoCal are more populated and thus more of everything. With that said, I can't possibly be the only dude in the area with one of these. Hopefully someone lives near me and can steer me in that direction. We have a Mitsubishi dealer us. What about that route?

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,525 Posts
They are few and scattered around you. There is only one knowledgeable owner that I can vouch for in Fresno, but he is pretty busy. Dealerships are sometimes limited and only as good as the experienced and caring techs that are working there. Honestly, you might have to consider traveling a bit in either direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are few and scattered around you. There is only one knowledgeable owner that I can vouch for in Fresno, but he is pretty busy. Dealerships are sometimes limited and only as good as the experienced and caring techs that are working there. Honestly, you might have to consider traveling a bit in either direction.

I'm good with travel. Bay Area (San Jose) is an hour away. Maybe someone has a place since that is very highly populated. Could go further but that would certainly be more hassle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello fellow enthusiasts!
Last weekend I purchased a 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. Has 75k miles and is overall in great condition. I plan on changing all the fluids, air, oil & fuel filters. Need the brakes inspected as well as a good general overall inspection. I plan to make the car as near perfect as I can. I am willing to pay the extra money to have it done correctly by a competent technician. During my drive home from the purchase I gave it full throttle on the freeway and the car seemed to hesitate and make a noise (popping) from under the car (I would think the exhaust system)? So will need that drivability issue checked and corrected. Car ran great overall and only did this during full throttle. I know this can be a myriad of things and don't want to just throw parts at it. So I am reaching out to everyone to see if they know of a good Japanese car repair establishment in the Monterey County area who can complete the maintenance work as well as help diagnose the drivability issue. Also wondering if there is a car club I can join in my area? Would love to meet other enthusiasts and maybe do a road rally/car show of some kind. Let me know if anyone can help?

Thank you,
Scott
831-206-6841

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! Update us when you found a good mechanic.
I took my Stealth TT to a place in Monterey Ca called Natales Auto Repair. Seems like they do alot of old school stuff and they have a good reputation. Since I recently purchased this car from the original owner I wanted to make sure it had a good once over. I opted to do the following:
Oil and filter replaced
Air filter replaced
Fuel filter replaced
transaxle fluid replaced
Transmission fluid replaced
Rear end fluid replaced
Spark plugs replaced
Distributor cap replaced
Rotor replaced
Wires replaced
coil packs replaced
Front and rear brake pads and rotors replaced

Will get the vehicle back tomorrow so hopefully this addresses the hesitation issue. If not, from what I am reading perhaps I should remove the ecu and have it rebuilt. Seems the capacitors can be leaky and cause this issue? I am excited to get the vehicle back. It's a really cool little time capsule.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,663 Posts
............ Seems like they do alot of old school stuff and they have a good reputation........... I opted to do the following:

Distributor cap replaced
Rotor replaced

.......... Seems the capacitors can be leaky and cause this issue? .........
I’m not sure about their reputation if they plan on replacing the Distributor cap and rotor on a DOHC ’92 Stealth twin turbo, since I’m sure nobody here has ever seen a distributor in a DOHC engine.

But as far as ECU is concerned, they do need capacitors replaced if they are original. You could just remove it, take cover off, post few clear pictures of circuit board here and I’m sure somebody will be able to determine if that’s already been done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not sure about their reputation if they plan on replacing the Distributor cap and rotor on a DOHC ’92 Stealth twin turbo, since I’m sure nobody here has ever seen a distributor in a DOHC engine.

But as far as ECU is concerned, they do need capacitors replaced if they are original. You could just remove it, take cover off, post few clear pictures of circuit board here and I’m sure somebody will be able to determine if that’s already been done.

Oh...that makes sense. I ordered all the parts online. Everything was correct for the DOHC with the TT except the "tune up kit". I must have accidentally ordered a SOHC kit that does not apply to my car. The shop called to tell me that the wires were wrong. So I told them to source them locally. My bad. Hoping all the other stuff replaced makes some sort of improvement. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts