Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an update for all of you with non-turbo's interested in the GB. I spoke to Bob Franzke (managing director) who told me that GB includes people interested in both products (turbo&non) however, if you are ordering a non-turbo it will run 637.00 if 12 or less sign up or 605.15 if 18 or more sign up. It is possible that with modifications, the turbo application will fit the non-turbo, but there are more parts for the N/A application and once you mess with the setup, it voids the warranty. I say its worth the extra money, at any rate it's an excellent deal. If you buy the N/A setup through Borla, it costs 881.00!
The part no. for the N/A is 14508 and it fits 91-99 3000gt's/ Bob said it may not fit the Stealth, you would have to contact Borla about this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks for the info... if i still want the turbo exhaust what kind of extra mods will i have to do to my exhaust setup. one guy in the original borla thread said his local muffler shop quoted him 10$ for a bracket(and thatts all they said he needed). do you know if there is any truth to this?

JonathanA71:
I have an SL and im getting the TT one.
Better airflow, deeper sound. The N/A borla is TRASH. Has like 4 mufflers and restrictions. The TT one just requires a bracket to be welded on by a muffler shop, my shop quoted me 10 dollars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know is that there are some extra parts for the exhaust for non-turbo's. I called Borla and the lady I spoke to put me on hold to ask if turbos could be modified to fit non-turbos. She came back and said that it "probably could be done but that any alteration to the original equipment would void the warranty". Anyway, I am not about to mess with it, I am just going to spend the extra 100.00 and do it like it is supposed to be done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I put the borla exaust on my car, would that void the warranty that I got for my car when I bought it a few months ago?

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
If I put the borla exaust on my car, would that void the warranty that I got for my car when I bought it a few months ago?
That depends, when you got the warranty, did they inspect the exhaust before writing the policy? If not, just say it was on there when the warranty was issued, noones the wiser except you. If they need proof of when you bought it I'm sure someone here could falsify a date on a document for you.

I'm pretty sure there has to be someone here that used to work for Enron or Anderson.

LW

·
Registered
46 Posts
lol thanks for the info :D

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hwasp said:
There's actually a law about this very thing. Basically it protects you, to an extent, from a waranty company telling you that they won't fix your A/C because you installed an exhaust. The law says that the company has to show that the installed item directly caused the failure. It's a huge PITA though, so I still remove a lot of stuff before I go in.

Hopefully someone here knows the name of the law since I'm not able to remember it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wheres the list for the non turbo borla exaust group buy?
About how much would it cost to install this bad boy once I get it?

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
shit

Yeah he told me that too. Sorry for not posting that the first time, I was under the impression everyone would just buy the turbo version since it's cheaper, flows better, and {suposadly} fits with minor modification.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Borla exhaust for Non-turbo

Hey guys, just an FYI- if you have a non-turbo and want to get on the list, just put your name down. I spoke to the guy (Bob Franzke)setting up the GB for us. Basically, the more people we get, the better deal we get, regardless of the product (turbo vs. nonturbo setup) that we order. Just keep in mind that the non-turbo setup will run those who buy it about 100.00 or so more. It is still an incredible price at around 600.00 considereing Borla sells it for close to 900.00

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
This is a quote from Borla

The Cat-Back for your vehicle is part #15443 with a MSRP of $902.99. It will only work on the Twin turbo. and it has a split rear exhaust.
this was my question:

I am considering a borla in a group buy. But need to find out if the stealth model can use split or dual tips instead of a single outlet. The factory unit has dual tips on each side. Can I duplicate this look?

Was impressed with the savings as is, how much cheaper can he cut it down, and what are the required numbers to reach that goal? Saving 20 bucks isn't worth a month wait for me. Thanks.

LW

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have borla exhoust but in the middle of the car I have 2 mufflers and I want to take them off. Would this be good idea ?

1.louder exhoust
2. better flow because instead of the mufflers I would have straight pipe

PS this will be done after I get new trans at this point it is broken anyone selling 5 speed trans fr 95 N/A ?

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Re: Borla exhaust for Non-turbo

lorissa said:
Hey guys, just an FYI- if you have a non-turbo and want to get on the list, just put your name down. I spoke to the guy (Bob Franzke)setting up the GB for us. Basically, the more people we get, the better deal we get, regardless of the product (turbo vs. nonturbo setup) that we order. Just keep in mind that the non-turbo setup will run those who buy it about 100.00 or so more. It is still an incredible price at around 600.00 considereing Borla sells it for close to 900.00
What? In the other thread you suggested it would practically be a seperate group buy? Which is it?

Also - you wouldn't be modifying the borla exhaust itself, rather making a custom downpipe that would connect to the twin turbo system.

95BLUE GT said:
I have borla exhaust but in the middle of the car I have 2 mufflers and I want to take them off. Would this be good idea ?

1.louder exhoust
2. better flow because instead of the mufflers I would have straight pipe
No. Bad idea. The system was tuned and designed to work a specific way, it's not just a long pipe. You could reduce the back pressure and lose some torque, + it would be loud and annoying as hell. You'd also ruin a beautiful exhaust. Eighty percent of the money you paid are for those "mufflers" (actually just resonators), you'd be a fool to cut them off. If you insist on it, sell the Borla and have some redneck shop make you a custom straight pipe for $150.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks a lot Telionis-1 good thing I asked. I didn't buy this exhaust it came with car so I wasn't familier with how it works. If I get test pipe and take out my cat would that change the loudness of my exhaust ? because personally I want it louder

·
Bored User
8,533 Posts
The turbo Borla does fit the NA. There are a few people here who have one on their NA (unclesam). The NA Borla has an extra resonator and is more restrictive. In my opinion, you would be an idiot to pay $100 MORE for the NA Borla which isn't going to give you any gain over your stock exhaust. It will be slightly louder and slightly less restrictive. The turbo version is the way to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.