Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I did a search on wheel bearings and all I could find was info on the VR4. I have a 92 SL. The people that did the VR4 said they need the whole hub. Is this the same on a SL or do I just need new bearings and seals?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If by "bearings and seals" you mean "the traditional kind where you have a pair of roller bearings, a seal, a tapered spindle, and a big glob of axle grease", then new bearings and seals won't cut it.

I've read one opinion from a guy who said he re-packed his bearings, but I had new rear ones put on my 1991 DOHC NA, and I promise you that they are not user-packable. They are "lifetime" bearings, come as a huge metal cylinder with holes for the wheel studs, and if they don't really last a lifetime after all, you have to toss the entire housing and get a new one. This unit may be what they mean by "hub".

If anybody *does* know how to rip one of these apart and re-pack it, I'd sure like to know about it, as it would save a lot of money.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found another thread that says its harder to get the bearings pressed in and to just get the hub/bearing assembly. So my new question is when you get the it comes with everything , hub, bearing, seals, right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.