Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The dark shall be with us
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since photos and videos don't last on social media, might as well post them here too. Didn't turn out as clean as I like to but it'll do for now. CNC is a must to get it right or someone who's really good at fabrication.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,112 Posts
VERY creative.
How much time was involved in the design, manufacture, install?
Do like :)

Bob.

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
VERY creative.
How much time was involved in the design, manufacture, install?
Do like :)

Bob.
It took me multiple tries to get it like this. I would say it took me 3 to 4 days after the mistakes I made in cutting and get it like this. Centering the holes are the hardest part after getting the shape of the cluster. I think if I want to do it again, I'll usegraph paper to help me make it more symmetrical.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Just figured out these are SpeedHut gauges. Is that the 4 1/2" tach?
Also, how did you get them to stand up more vertical? Is the plate you made just resting on the outer/original outer dash trim? Or is it attached somewhere else in a meaningful way?
Really like the look...of course their sale ended today.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
It took me multiple tries to get it like this. I would say it took me 3 to 4 days after the mistakes I made in cutting and get it like this. Centering the holes are the hardest part after getting the shape of the cluster. I think if I want to do it again, I'll usegraph paper to help me make it more symmetrical.

It almost looks like you molded the trim and backer together...how did you do that? I'm thinking about a similar project, but was considering a modified stock cluster (gutted) so I'd keep all the attachment points easy, etc.
How did you pick up the warning lights, tap into harness in back I assume?
These types of projects are always way more work than then look like!

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Center one is 4" and the sides are 3.75" or 3.5" I don't remember. Yes I cut an Abs plastic and glued it to the cluster and then Bondo them. I soldered them to the rear gauge housing that I too apart. You can find the LEDs on ebay. Just type dash warning light. Mine are 12mm. First I bought small motorcycle ones. I wasn't happy with those since they were too small.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Center one is 4" and the sides are 3.75" or 3.5" I don't remember. Yes I cut an Abs plastic and glued it to the cluster and then Bondo them. I soldered them to the rear gauge housing that I too apart. You can find the LEDs on ebay. Just type dash warning light. Mine are 12mm. First I bought small motorcycle ones. I wasn't happy with those since they were too small.
Again, Looks really good!

I'm going to go a slightly different route I think. I've made a CAD model for an inlay that will sit on top of factory gauge surface. That factory surface (as well as the structure underneath) will need to be trimmed, but once done it should be seamless. I mocked it up today (see attached). This retains all but the center warning lights (most of which are useless after all the deletes), but I will have 10mm provisions (holes) for (8) lights. (3) on each side on top of smaller gauges, and (2) below. I plan on putting in turns, high beam, battery lights, and plugging the rest for now. I went for 4 1/2" tach. WIll be super tight, so I'm going to get this laser cut to avoid the headaches you probably went through!
Let me know what you think...

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw someone online who removed the lenses of warning lights and installed them on the new plane he made. I have so many ideas but I suck at fabrication and don't know how to do cad. One day I'll learn.

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I was able to successfully brighten up the pointers and the face itself. They said they can make the hands brighter if I send the gauges back to them. I was also able to find a better and more powerful El inverter to make the face brighter and more white instead of yellowish color it had before. Now they match my center gauges better.
I also made a place for my cellphone finally with wireless charger built-in.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Here's where I'm going with it...had a couple hours to mess with it in Inventor. I like the idea of a raised center tach (reminds me of a 911)...going to be really tight though, lol. We'll see.
I'm thinking laser cut aluminum for the large backer plate, and 3D print the ring. The ring would be held on with (4) small screws from the back.
I hope you don't mind me posting my stuff in your thread! No worries if you do, lmk and I'll move it.
speedo assm2.JPG
speedo assm1.JPG

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't mind. that looks great. I was thinking of raising the center gauge too but the gauges are very thin. I don't think you'll be able to hold the gauge like that. would that fit inside the bezel? It would be nice if someone can cut a plate like that for me too so I can make a new cluster one that's fully symmetrical. I tried to make it symmetrical but i think I have to start from scratch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts