Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the "official thread" but also thought I'd make a seperate post that there has been very significant new development in the transfer case recall for the 3/s. I had been talking with the service manager at my local dealership and he was one of the many guys who had initially said they were not aware of any recall.

Well, as fate would have it, today I call to ask about a part and he says as of this morning he recieved official literature on the recall Mitsubishi will be having on the VR4 transfer cases. He also recieved a call from his local rep to inform him of the official recall as well.

I don't want to give people a false sense of hope, but my service manager is pretty stringent on these things and isn't someone who would be telling me something just to get me happy, so take this news for what it's worth. I am pretty happy.

-m

Reactions: 92EuroDiamante

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
wow, a Mitsu dealer in Illinois is owning up? I'm amazed.

Care to share which dealership is cooperating?

Reactions: 92EuroDiamante

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EVILTWIN said:
wow, a Mitsu dealer in Illinois is owning up? I'm amazed.

Care to share which dealership is cooperating?
Park Ridge Mitsubishi, the service manager's name is Adam.

It should also be noted that even though they have recieved the literature they are not officially taking in cars yet. He estimated within the next 4-6 weeks the dealerships should be ready to start taking in cars and fixing them under the recall.

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SM-4 said:
did he say what was in the literature and how its going to be recalled?
The literature contains details of the recall - cars effected, why they need to replace it, the technical details on the transfer case, etc. As far as "how" it's going to be executed, I'm assuming it'll be just as with any other recall - you will need to make an appointment to take your car in and have it replaced. From what he told me they will be replacing the transfer case altogether. I would logically assume it wouldn't be just another one of the old versions, but rather a redesigned one.

What I don't know is what expenses will be reimbursed. I've never had a problem with my transfer case so I didn't think to ask. For those of you out there who have invested money in yours to have it repaired or replaced, I would think that would have to be dealt with on a case to case basis. I really don't know.

-m

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Interesting

Did the service mngr give any specifics or details of the recall?

What yrs? What parts will be replaced? etc...

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Interesting

Sean Johnson said:
Did the service mngr give any specifics or details of the recall?

He hadn't gone through all the literature yet, so he only told me what he knew up to that point.

What yrs? What parts will be replaced? etc...
He didn't say specifically what years, but gave me the impression all VR4s would be recalled because all the cases leak... I know '91s already had a recall, so I can't comment on if they will be recalled again.

As far as what parts, the transfer case itself will be replaced.

-m

·
Givin it up to the fallen
683 Posts
They are replacing the transfer case all together. Mine locked up a few weeks ago and I called transport Canada about it. They called dodge, dodge called me and the new transfer case will be in tomorrow. I got pushed ahead of everyone because the car is un-drivable right now.

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crazykid said:
They are replacing the transfer case all together. Mine locked up a few weeks ago and I called transport Canada about it. They called dodge, dodge called me and the new transfer case will be in tomorrow. I got pushed ahead of everyone because the car is un-drivable right now.
What I would really like to know is what about these new transfer cases makes them superior to the old ones (in the engineering sense). How are the casings made? Do they have a brace now? I'd really like to know the technical details of the new case.

Mitsubishi wouldn't be replacing the TC's with just new, unchanged ones, would they?

-m

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've visited that dealership before and they do seem quite competent.

Does anyone know how long a recall remains in effect? For example, if it stays in effect for several years, there is no rush for those who have TC that are not leaking (or do they only replace it if it’s leaking?) to have them replaced.

Anyway, thank you for the information Marcus. You’ve been very helpful lately (read a few posts of yours) and are becoming an important asset to 3SI.

Mario
1994 VR-4 80K miles
e-mail: [email protected]

Zzzz(in storage w/ a coat of Z5) :mitsu:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good news

I went to my dealer today and he told me the same thing. They got info from Mitsu today announcing the recall. The expect to start notifying customers next week. However, even though they know about the recall there is no info yet on how to fix the problem (what and how to replace, parts numbers, etc), but they expect to get info on this soon. One thing they did not know for sure was weither it will affect ALL VR4. They sad something like "if it leaks we 'll replace". I left my car there today and they are going to enter my VIN number into the system to see the the recall comes up. So, it is finally here. Now we just have to wait for Mitsu to announce how to fix it.

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Thanks for the update...

I am curious as well, as to the technical & engineering aspect of the TC. I want to know how & if the new TC is designed different. Also, a couple yrs ago when I tried to get mine replaced, Mits wouldn't honor the supposed recall, and now that it's been 10 yrs, this new recall again may not be honored on the 91's

·
VR4 owner since 1993
584 Posts
If anyone has a "friend" at a Mitsu dealership, please get a scan of the exact literature from Mitsu corporate and post it here (note: redact anything related to the particular dealer/etc. to protect them).

Also, I know I've said it before, but... GET ALL PART NUMBERS!

Thank you. ;)

-JD

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
subscribing............

·
Registered
660 Posts
Will the mitsu dealer

be doing dodge TT's? Or is dodge aware of the recall? Or anyone hear anything from dodge?

·
Registered
3 Posts
RECALL

MERRY X-MAS GUYS...OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION LETTERS WILL BE MAILED OUT ON MONDAY DEC.9 2002.
91-99 VR4'S WHICH RECIEVE A NOTICE WILL GET AN INSPECTION. DEALERS WILL INSPECT EACH T/F AND PROCEED AFTER THAT. NOT ALL WILL BE REPLACED NO PART INFO IS AVAIL. TODAY BUT IN THE WEEK TO COME WE MIGHT SEE IT

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
Re: RECALL

SPINK44 said:
91-99 VR4'S WHICH RECIEVE A NOTICE WILL GET AN INSPECTION.
meaning not all will recieve notficaion letters? What about problems down the road that are not appearent at the "inspection"?

I understand no one will prol' have answers to the above but thought I would check.

KC

·
Registered
3 Posts
MMSA IS MAILING BULLETINS TODAY TO DEALERS TODAY, MORE INFO WILL BE AVAIL. THEN. THE AMOUNT OF AFFECTED VEHICLES IS NOT AVAIL. YET EITHER. PERSONALLY I HOPE IT IS A LOT

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
I'm very interested in this... I want to know whats different about the new transfer case. Keep posting info as you guys learn more, perhaps this should be a sticky?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't suppose anyone will have an idea of what it is they will be looking for when they inspect.
Also, how is Mitsubishi on contacting 2nd 3rd etc.. owners? I've had good luck with Ford in the past and really bad luck with GM.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts