Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help....I just got a new clutch in along with a aluminum flywheel...ANyway, went to pick up the car and on the way home (3 miles tops)...the car stalled at least 10 times....Every time it was out of gear the car just shut off....WHAT THE FUNK IS GOING ON HERE!!!! I waited a week for the car and need to drive it, can't take my 120 HP Saturn much longer....does anyone know what this is and how this happened at a decent dealership....I am thinking they may have knocked something loose (maybe a vacuum line)...

I also have no clutch pedal pressure....It is a decent clutch, better than OE....but it feels like a clutch out of a Nissan Pickup with 300,000 miles (my boss has one)....anyway, please help....I am running up to the shop tomorrow morning....THANKS

·
Registered
466 Posts
did you try giving it gas before letting go the clutch?... new clutch and especially not oem is very sensitive... give it gas first then let the clutch go...... because it grab real good so you can burn and take off heh.....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
With lightweight flywheels, you may have some stalling problems for a little while (or so I've been told). Also, do you know if the OE pressure plate was used, and they just changed the clutch disk? I know quite a few aftermarket clutches use the original pressure plate with a new (grippier) clutch disk. When I installed an RPS stage II on my old SL, the pedal was damn near rock solid, and that came with a siffer pressure plate. Also, your mechanic (or whom ever you took your car to) could have forgotten to bleed the clutch hydraulics, or they didn't bleed it enough. My clutch took me almost two bottles of clutch fluid to get all the air out of the system.
As for the flywheel, I heard that it takes a little time for your ECU to recalibrate it's self with less weight on the crank. Not sure though. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me the first time I heard it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot. Be nice to your new clutch! You do need to break it in before you go beating it to hell. :) (Did I mention that I snapped the RPS Stage II in a few pieces? I didn't break it in properly :) )

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Stalling

I have the same problem with my car, just not as bad. If I rev it up past 4K in neutral and let off the gas it idles down rather quickly and stalls out. Same thing if I get on the gas hard when driving then press the clutch and leave it in neutral. I guess it's probably a whole lot worse with an aluminum flywheel since your engine idles down faster.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Supposedly the ECU will learn to adjust everything to keep the car from stalling out, but I'm not positive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts