Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ever since i had my car It had a POS Ever Start battery in it.

Well this morning It finally died. I went to Sears to a Die Hard cause I've had good luck with them in the past. I get the battery with the most amps that was the same size. It is made for SUV's and light trucks. On the way home It seems that i have alot more pickup (no pun intended)

Is It my imagination.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
A bad batt can suck the power from your Electrical system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jesus don't let the Honduhs find out about this. Next thing you know they are going to have DieHard and Everstart banners going across the windsheilds of their Civics...trust me, I know the types...:rolleyes:

·
former 3s owner :**
2,561 Posts
your lights might be brighter ;)

or or or your vents may blow harder!! haha.. just playin man.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
This is interesting considering that it is the *alternator* that supplies all current once the engine is running. The battery just turns the starter.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
This is interesting considering that it is the *alternator* that supplies all current once the engine is running. The battery just turns the starter.
Yes, but the Regulator will dump all the alternators output to the battery and a bad battery will suck all the power for itself leaving crap for the car to run on. So a bad batt can cause bad response.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
ROFL! Bad batteries are bad precisely because they cannot be re-charged to full capacity! They do not "suck" the current out of the system. A good battery draws the most current when it is being recharged from a discharged state. This is much different than a "bad" battery which cannot be re-charged. The current is used to "reverse" the chemical storage (that is, to store energy rather than release it). When the chemical storage process is complete (full charge on battery) or cannot occur (bad battery) then current draw is lowest.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Bad battery meaning it is always in a recharge state not that it will not draw power to be charged.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Imp Pwr Online said:
Bad battery meaning it is always in a recharge state not that it will not draw power to be charged.
That is NOT a bad battery. That is an *undercharged* battery - indicating a possible problem with the alternator or charging circuit. A bad battery cannot produce the voltage it is rated at (depends on cell type), cannot produce the rated reserve amps, and cannot be recharged to rated capacity. These problems are usally caused by loss of plate structural integrity, corrosion (build up of lead dioxide on the positive plates), or sulfation (build up of large sulfate crystals on the negative plates).

If this fellow had a battery that was continually undercharged then he needs to drive the car more, get a SLA battery that re-charges much faster than a standard flooded battery, reduce the engine-off draw by acccessories, or inspect the charging system. Buying a new battery only temporarily solves the problem.

More info on batteries (particularly SLA batteries):

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Mr. Lucius scares me :scared:

he argues his point and then he quote his own website which is actually IS a valid "reference source" with mutliple citings to other reference source

·
Registered
34 Posts
:confused: Dude, my head hurts just trying to read this thread...ouch...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts