Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 93 vr4. Has ran fantastic for the couple months I have had it and still does. But here is the deal....I realized that the air filter that was currently in it was very old and dirty, so I decided to put a drop in, k&n filter in it to help the car breathe better than that dirty old one. With the old filter, on a hard pull I was pegging 14lbs but now with this new filter, I am lucky to hit 8-9lbs. I’ve looked everywhere in the car and on the internet for an explanation and I am stumped. What’s going on?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently bought a 93 vr4. Has ran fantastic for the couple months I have had it and still does. But here is the deal....I realized that the air filter that was currently in it was very old and dirty, so I decided to put a drop in, k&n filter in it to help the car breathe better than that dirty old one. With the old filter, on a hard pull I was pegging 14lbs but now with this new filter, I am lucky to hit 8-9lbs. I’ve looked everywhere in the car and on the internet for an explanation and I am stumped. What’s going on?
Maybe you jostled one of the hoses loose that go to the turbos behind the intake? If not try swapping the old filter back in if you still have it. If the problem continues you'll know for sure it wasn't the cause.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are these numbers read from the stock gauge in the center cluster or from an actual boost gauge reading pressure? Does the car actually feel different? You would definitely be able to feel the difference between those two boost levels.

Also, check for boost leaks you may have caused as mentioned in the other post.

·
Money pit owner.
2,565 Posts
boost may be lower if there is an air intake leak after the MAF sensor (eg loose clamp).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I redid the maf system and put the filter in again. It seemed to help a little bit. It is now building about 14 pounds at higher rpms than before the new filter. With it being a higher air flow filter, I believe the car is running a little more lean. It pulls harder than before at lower rpms, just not building the boost. And yes, these readings are off of the stock gauge.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I redid the maf system and put the filter in again. It seemed to help a little bit. It is now building about 14 pounds at higher rpms than before the new filter. With it being a higher air flow filter, I believe the car is running a little more lean. It pulls harder than before at lower rpms, just not building the boost. And yes, these readings are off of the stock gauge.

The stock gauge doesnt actually read boost. It is controlled by the ECU and is based on the MAF readings. As such, it is basically useless, especially when trying to determine boost levels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The stock gauge doesnt actually read boost. It is controlled by the ECU and is based on the MAF readings. As such, it is basically useless, especially when trying to determine boost levels.
^ This is why i was asking if it's stock gauge. This is not an actual pressure reading.

You're basically trying to determine boost with a gauge that doesn't read boost pressure and your butt dyno lol. Just install a real boost gauge if you want to know boost pressure, and a wideband if you are conerned with AFRs, but your AFR should be fine from a drop-in filter only assuming no have no vacuum leaks after the MAF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts