Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the SEMA show in Vegas and AEM presented their new programmable engine management system. This will be released for the 3000gt/Stealth in January:D. My g/f's company did the metal labels for the ECU box and knows the people there, so she already knew this was going to be released, but couldn't even tell me! Anyway, the box replaces the stock ecu and plugs directly into the factory wiring harness. The EMS is completely user programmable from any windows based computer. Some of the features include - Onboard datalogging, Sequential fuel injection, Nitrous, boost, and knock control. Also, base maps and user-defined maps can be downloaded from their website and from other users, as developed. I saw the demo running at the show and it seems pretty amazing. The software is very open and allows just about any combination of engine control paramaters or auxilary inputs - like EGTs. I'm going to let them use my car as a "modified 3000gt/Stealth" so I will be able to provide some feedback and keep everyone posted on how well this works for our cars. From my impressions so far, this looks very promising.

This info is not on the AEM website yet, but it should be soon.

www.aempower.com

·
2,994 Posts
what is the expected cost supposed to be?

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
:eek: Oh oh Rich, now that you posted this Brian is never gonna let you use his tools again! :D ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
its about time that some big name manufacturer do something for our cars besides intakes, exhuast, and piggy back electronics.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Hope it comes out. MAYbe it will.
Here is MY tale of woe regarding this:

The computer is a Pro EFI unit, from GEMS in England, like they make for DSM's and RX7's but larger due to 6 cylinders. Pro EFI was essentially a guy named Jason Siebels, who I met at Union Grove dragway in April 2000. He had his RX7 drag car there at a big import event, which uses his computer, and I asked him a bunch of questions and he showed me the laptop and all the features of the computer. I was in process of getting a FelPro/FAST computer by Harry Hruska in Hebron, Indiana...which I CANCELLED because when I said I'd buy a "plug 'n play" Pro EFI computer for my VR4 ASAP Jason said "I can have it to you within 5 weeks".

Being a skeptical sort, I said (exact quote) "You know, at this point I think many shops are liars...when you SAY 5 weeks, do you mean 5 weeks or maybe 6 months?"
He said "If anything, it will be FASTER than 5 weeks!"
SO, I cancelled my FelPro deal and waited.
...And Waited.
...And WAITED...I have a logfull of EMails to and from Jason, things like "I have the computer, just waiting on the pins, I should be able to ship it to you this Friday"...

For example: (this is MY letter he sent ME, so piss on anybody who doesn't like me reprinting MY PROPERTY)
--------------------------------------------------
O.K. I will get it done as soon as I receive the plugs. I hope to have
everything shipped overnight to you by the end of next week.
Jason.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 11:13 AM
To: Jason Siebels
Subject: Re: ECU
I need the 1994 computer ASAP, the 94 is running on VPC/GCC now but I am not doing any racing (especially with the nitrous!)until I can datalog with your setup with lambda sensor etc and tune with it...
Jack
-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff like that kept going on for 1 year 3 months; I blew up a motor at the DSM Shootout 2000 waiting for that computer; blew up that SECOND 1994 VR4 motor before DSM Shootout 2001 because I didn't have a real computer...because I was waiting for his "Plug 'n Play" Pro EFI.
I called him AGAIN after that 2nd motor blew up and asked what the deal was! He said "I've been bought out by AEM, and they are into Hondas, so your project got put on the back burner. I don't know if/when it will ever get done."

I said, "You led me on for over a year, I BELIEVED in you, and it cost me 2 motors delaying for you. You either HAVE HONOR, or you DON'T. You committed to me you'd do this, and just because somebody buys you out doesn't cancel your debts or your commitments...IF YOU HAVE HONOR. If AEM has any honor, they will understand this too."

Because he said it was now a "low priority"--and when it was "HIGH priority" it was taking over a year including promises of deliveries within a week--I told him to call ME...IF it ever got D O N E.

So, they NOW say it will be done in January 2002?
That is way longer than "shipped to you this Friday" so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Of course, everybody HAS to get their own scars/lessons, so what the hell, don't listen to me. Jason sure SOUNDED convincing and truthful, with well-worded excuses, and VERY nice on the phone, AND in person...with all those promises.

My point: IF it comes out, it might be good. If you have plans to do something else, do THAT instead. Considering how little their promises and honor mean, just IMAGINE how HIGH a priority YOU would be, if something didn't work right due to bugs or defects or whatever. Of course, maybe there won't be ANY bugs or problems whatsoever, right out of the box ;) Product support?
"Bridges for sale!"

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Jack! You should have stayed with the felpro unit! ;)
The shop i work with installs quite a few of them and i have nothing but praise to say about these units, except for the $3000+ price tag installed...
But nothing beats it for nitrous/turbo equipped cars. All the top dogs from twin turbo gn's to big ole fuel injected big blocks run this bad boy system! Forget about the haltechs, wolfems and so on.... :)
I will forever stick with the felpro's until i see anouther company produce a worth while product! To bad i cant run it with colorado emissions :(

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
X WING

Have you got your Autronic engine computer up and running yet? I heard that you got one from the dealer and everyone is waiting on some word. I have the plug and play Autronic in hand and am working with the dealer to figure out the last 2 wires. If we can do that then it should run all the factory electronics and require very simple engine wiring. Im looking forward to the built in Boost control and water injection control

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
so thats what your hot ass woman does for a living.. what company was that again?! ;)

mmm shes hot..

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have a friend with the Autronic, he is about done installing it but needs the proper program to start the car. I think the Steve in Kentucky gave him a program from a Mitsubishi Pajero (a 6 cylinder nonturbo truck) to get it running...and sounds like Steve did not give him the statistics/info for the computer to understand the stock cam/crank sensor blade configurations.

I had an SM2, but Steve called and said the SM2 is not able to be used with stock sensors because the crank sensor timing is not (yet) adjustable--it IS on the SMC; so I sent mine back. The Autronic should work well, and its Autotune feature is one of a kind, more advanced/faster/simpler than any other fuel mapping I know of.

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
I hope Errin gets his up and running soon as well. I offered my assistance installing it. Then again with my help it could take twice as long. But if the plug and play doesnt work then im in for the SMC

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
I guess my question would be should I save my money and not get a datalogger and wait for this EMS? Now you said it would be coming out in January, but have they been running tests on a car already? Or is your car the first that will have this setup?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jack - that's quite a dissapointing story to say the least. Everyone else - the date of Jan 02 is their estimated release date. I do not speak for AEM nor represent them in any way. My g/f knows them, it looks like a promising product - and that's why I offered my car for them to use/test on a 3s. I agree with Jack and wouldn't hold my breath waiting until Jan for the product. We just have to wait and see. If you are thinking of getting something now, don't wait for this. It may or may not be ready in Jan and may or may not be a great EMS - who knows until we test it!

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
Hmm I wonder if I should maybe get the MSD ignition and wait to see how this thing turns out since it has datalogging.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
Ok, then my next question would be what's the website address? I went to Brian's site and couldn't find his SMC.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Unfortunately, Jack made an important point. And January sounds good ... but what Year ??

And if those systems ever come out you will also notice that the Autronic box may also carry a different label, hehe.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts