Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have so many options that are opening up to me. I have a list member that has mentioned helping me out with my tranny repair, I have Kormex that can sell me a new tranny for $2K, I have a shop here in GA that can rebuild it for $400 + parts, my brother wants a crack at it, and (last, but surprising to say the least) the dealer has offered to sell me a brand new tranny for $1,900 and install it for a total of $2,500 + tax! That was the last thing I expected. The dealer is cheaper than Kormex by $100!!!

So, should I spend the money to get the syncro and have the current tranny rebuilt (not knowing what else is wrong with it... if anything) or go the safe route and buy a new tranny? If I buy a new tranny, how hard would it be to put in? If the average Joe can do it with ease, then me and my brother can slap it in and save ~$600 in labor charges.

So many choices, so little money. What would you do? I am open to suggestions...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Wow, you've got the mad hook-up for trannies in Atlanta, Travis :cool: Personally, if the dealer will sell you a brand-new (make sure it's brand-new) tranny for $1900, I'd do that. Switch the trannies out yourself, then buy a Kormex 2nd gear synchro and rebuild the old tranny at your leisure. You'll know everything about our transmissions when you're done, and you'll have a spare tranny that you could keep in the garage for emergencies. Or you could sell it off and come close to breaking even on the deal. Good luck in your quest! :D

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BSWhelchel said:
Wow, you've got the mad hook-up for trannies in Atlanta, Travis :cool: Personally, if the dealer will sell you a brand-new (make sure it's brand-new) tranny for $1900, I'd do that. Switch the trannies out yourself, then buy a Kormex 2nd gear synchro and rebuild the old tranny at your leisure. You'll know everything about our transmissions when you're done, and you'll have a spare tranny that you could keep in the garage for emergencies. Or you could sell it off and come close to breaking even on the deal. Good luck in your quest! :D

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T
Brad -

You read my freaking mind! I was thinking the same thing. Get a new tranny and then rebuild the one I have at my own pace. That would be the perfect situation. The problem with that being money. :( I don't know if I can haul off and buy a new tranny right now, as I'm a little strapped. And being that things are a little tight right now (I also have to get the 60K done on the Eclipse), the rebuild is more economical.

Maybe it's time to inquire at the bank of Mom & Dad Savings and Loan. ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
What kind of warranty comes with the new vers rebuilt transmission? That should be a major consideration. You’ll probably get a better warranty with the new trans. I would go with that.

·
What's This?
309 Posts
BSWhelchel said:
You'll know everything about our transmissions when you're done, and you'll have a spare tranny that you could keep in the garage for emergencies.
Oh no you don't! Don't you tell him to keep a transmission in our garage! You don't understand. He keeps EVERYTHING. The last thing we need is a transmission too! :p

But I like the idea of selling it, though. That way, we could get some of our money back. But in the meantime, we don't have much to play around with. :(

But no extra trannies in the garage! :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The dealership will NOT sell you a new transmission. Theirs are all rebuilt. With that said, I'm running a factory reman unit in my car and it's perfect. Scott in SC can get the parts for 10% over dealer cost. I got the remain tranny for about $3k and a brand new transfer case for $850.

Scott is also "the man" when it comes to installing them. He even stocks the Mitsu factory friction modifier that is added to the tranny oil for perfect shifting. I gotta say - I love my car.

He could hook you up on the 60k service for your Eclipse too. Drive both cars to SC one Saturday morning. He can do the Tbelt and other related things while you wait. Then drive it home and leave the VR4 for repairs and pick it up a week or so later.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Also, the dealership cost on a 6spd is $4k. RUN AWAY from a dealership offering you one for $1900 - they either quoted your a NT unit by mistake or are trying to pull a fast one on you. I have the part numbers for each unit - I'll dig 'em up for you.

Warranty on the factory remans is 1 year or 12k miles.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
6 speed transmission part number: JB896324 (not sure if reman or new. 6 spds *may* be available new after all.

If anyone is interested:

6 speed transfer case: MB896326 (new)
6 speed driveshaft: MR111394 (new)

5 speed transmission: R93658M (reman)
List price: $3842
I paid: $3360

5 speed transfer case: MB936389 (new)

Friction modifier mentioned earlier: ME581050
add one bottle to contents of tranny

·
Registered
632 Posts
Odds are the dealer will require your old transmission or a $1,000
core charge. Kormex may also want your old tranny if you buy one of thiers.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Yes, the dealer's core charge is $1000. I think Kormex's is $500.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer did not charge me a core charge on my old short block. That's why I have it sitting in my parent's garage right now. All it needs is a connecting rod and some bearings and it'll be good to go.

I'll swing back by there on the way home Friday and see if they have changed their tune on the cost of the tranny. Until then, the dealer is looking more and more like a very good option. I know most dealers are turds often called "Satan", but these guys at least know how to work on the cars. How else can I explain my car hitting 13.0 after being rebuilt by the dealer? They are a little pricey, but at least they do good work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got my Tranny replaced by the dealer.

My shop found a small tranny leak but Dodge couldn't get the replacement seal. They ordered a new unit and it was finally installed last week.

What a difference --- The car runs alot better. I now know that the tranny had some problems that I hadn't noticed yet.

When I used to dump the clutch the RPMs would rev high but the car wouldn't speed up at the same rate. I thought it was the clutch but now its gone --- when I dump the cluch I end up in the back seat.

The rattling noise at idle when the clutch is released is also gone.

The dealer covered the entire job under warrentee but they said that the cost on the new tranny was close to 10,000 (can$).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts