Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

New 4Gswap project

14K views 133 replies 27 participants last post by  StarWolfQTP 
#1 · (Edited)
Background: Our 2g Talon has been sitting for months with toasted end clutches (still drivable in gears 1-3). Rockers are rotting and daughter doesn’t like it so not really motivated to do a lot with it. Engine and trans are good. Just needs clutches which I have and are easy to change.

Opportunity: A race’ish 3000GT roller came up for sale (thanks Matt;)) that I’m familiar with. Thought about buying it once before. This time pulling the trigger.

My oldest boy just turned 15. Showed it to him and he was stoked. Wife has pretty much given up on me being a normal man that buys nice new things and watches football on the weekends so “lol sure” was good enough for me :) Struck a deal and will be grabbing it in a few weeks.

Plan:
4Gswap street car that can be driven and raced by my wife and son without an instruction manual. So that requires, AC, heat, full interior, auto, no nitrous, no gauges to watch, stomp it and forget it.

Some of these are easier than others. It has a cage more intrusive than mine with x bars in the doors. I may have to cut the one bar out. Still meets NHRA rules to 8.50. I may cut it back to a 6 pt roll bar. It does appear to have everything in HVAC except for the AC components. (Really hope the climate control display still works). Starting with a stock car would have been better and easier but what’s the fun in that. Lol

Engine will be a 2.4 long rod, with 2g head and intake. Will be torquey and still rev to 9k if needed but realistically the powerband plan will be to 8k. Will be a bolt on turbo setup so it’s more sleeper, simple and can run in the bolt on class at the shootout. I reached out to Robert Young at FP. He’s seeing if he can cook up something special for me. Otherwise Donnie suggests a 35r into a bolt on housing.

Trans will be mostly stock, maybe a shift kit, and will be controlled by a stand-alone TCU from forced four. It will be fully tunable for cruise and WOT including line pressure and tq converter lock up. This is one key to making it a do everything car. Also just a stock restalled converter, should work if I keep the cams and turbo mild/moderate.

Haven’t decided on an ecu yet. For cost, it may end up being ECM Link. I’d love AEM or haltech though. Hard not to do AEM since I know it so well. But Haltech has a full engine harness option too which is appealing (but haltech money of course lol). And if I want to wire a little, ms3 would be a great option and not too bad with a flying lead harness.

Still have the details to work out obviously but the concept is simple. Sporty daily that will run low 10’s at the strip. Stay tuned for updates and see you at the shootout. (FYI, 3Ss can run stock appearing, bolt on turbo class if you meet the other rules too;))

See less See more
Reactions: Chang oil
#2 ·

Started the tear down last night. I can’t wait to get rid of the cruise control, stock vac lines, EGR, etc crap!

As for the looks of the car and stereo stuff, my son and wife will have input there and son will be “helping.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Yes I will! Already planning on getting my original FMIC I had on my car. Garrett has it for some reason now. Can’t remember why. Possibly for this red car as he was going to build it with his brother but his brother backed out so G sold it.

Long story to say that I will have FMICt that is already set up to be flipped so you can run oem fog lights like a real3S. I may even have the old 4Gswap intercooler piping in my stash.

#6 ·
so now you're gonna start making up stories involving family members to justify another 3s build and a 4g at that..!!! As if 1 build thread wasn't enough...now you've got 3!! AMG, LS3s and now another 4g swap! :D

Lookin forward to updates and progress.

#10 ·
lol. It was a good excuse to get another 3S to 4Gswap. :D Just need one more for a 3.7 auto swap. :p

I think we are going to sell the AMG though, so that build thread will disappear into the archives.

Looks like another fun project. I'm going to pick up a '92 Talon TSi AWD today that needs some work. I don't think I'll be swapping the 4G63 into my 3S though...but it's fun to watch you guys do it!
Tastefully light weight that talon, put some power to it, auto swap if it isn't and then go to some hard tire no preps. You will have a blast! (need to keep full interior for Hard Tire classes and full exhaust. But you can boost and spray the shit out of it!)

A family affair, love it Eric! I recognize that red car
Yeah should be fun :D. I'm told the car isn't as clean as it was in that photo but we'll see what we can do.

#11 ·
Yay more Eric 3s projects. Eagerly awaiting fog lights so it's a #real3s

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Yay more Eric 3s projects. Eagerly awaiting fog lights so it's a #real3s
If anyone has OEM 97 fogs, let me know :D. On a DSMer budget ;)

How about a tube connected front with a LsXXX with fogs
Not sure I follow. A tubed frame front end like Garrett's race car? I likely won't do that with any of my cars since I like the street car classes that typically won't allow too much cutting.

#16 ·
The wheels pictured are staying unless Brian convinces me to sell them to him. So far his offer of sexual favors has not been convincing. :muahaha:

Currently wingless and not sure that will change. Not usually a fan of the hoop but you never know.

#18 ·
Who wants to come over and pull the engine, trans and wiring for me [emoji23] Zero progress. Need to get my car ready first, then this will get some love. Also still need to go up to Michigan and grab the 3000.

#21 ·
Sad to see it get a new life as a daily with some racing?

#27 ·
Unfortunately, the fate of most of these cars that get highly modified. Parted and sold or moth balled.

#28 ·
Sucks, but honestly the only thing keeping my cars together is I doubt anyone would actually buy anything if I parted it. No way I believe anyone would buy my Stealth together.

#29 · (Edited)
Been thinking about this project more. Going to downscale the goals and costs. My car expenses got a bit out of hand recently so this project is going to get scaled back. Doesn’t mean it won’t be fun to build and drive.

So still 2.4 block but I think I’ll do stock internals. I still have the original rods and pistons and original 4Gswap 2.4 block. I’ll just do a 2.4 stock bottom end build.

Stock heads and cams (for now) but get adjustable gears. I’ll keep an eye out for a used mild cam upgrade though.

Keep the evo3 16g that’s on the 2.0.

Keep the MAF based setup but do bigger injectors (stock leak anyway) and ECMLink for ecu. Swap the engine harness. Simple intank 450 (I already have one).

Probably still do a forcedfour 100.1 standalone TCU.

So cost savings will come from skipping a built bottom end, upgraded turbo, cams, and speed density. Will be limited on power to approx 300hp on the 16g/2.4 stock head/cam combo, but should be plenty fun and can always upgrade later.

My son still wants to take it to the shootout and race in Max Effort. I think he’s trying to kill me.

#30 ·
keep that thing low on cost man, when he starts working I would have him save some for the cost of parts. Maybe you pay half of whatever parts he wants? Wouldn't want him dumping all his money in a car like a lot of us do sometimes lol Cool to see him get interested with racing, keep hin the garage wrenching with you! Don't want him to get addicted, but cars are always a cool hobby/passion to have.

#31 ·
We pay for the kids’/family cars. Anyone can drive anything depending on their requirements for the day. Daughter has been driving the AMG because that’s the available vehicle, but she’ll use my truck when needed for kayaking/4 wheeler/etc or if I want the AMG. They pay for gas. The extra costs for making the 4Gswap fast were for me, not my son. lol.

#32 ·
haha makes sense, I would do the same if there's the possibility I may hop in it for a drive :p

#33 ·

Finally in our possession!

Reactions: lawdogg
#34 ·
Worked with my son on testing down the talon donor. He was working on getting to the ecu

It’s finally ready to get up on jackstands to remove everything to get to axles, tcase etc so we can remove the engine/trans together.

Put a battery in the 3000GT and checked that the windows and lights work. All good except that it doesn’t have high beams. (No bulbs).

No engine harness so going to put in talon harness and stock Ecu. Probably just the simple forcedfour shiftbox for shifting.

Trying to resist spending a bunch of money building a car for a 16yr old. 16g stock engine power should be plenty for him for awhile.

I think we do both want to take cars to Rocky Mountain Race Week next year. Should be a blast!!

#36 ·
I have two already that will be plenty for a 16g and more. Thanks though.