Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Im hoping someone will shead there ideas on mods for my car.

I have a couple ?s and then feel free to share some of your opions for mods.

I am definetly considering some 15g turbos. But dont know if i will have enough money for the injectors and fuel pump until after taxes and that. Which wouldnt be all bad cause my car is sitting till summer time anyway.

Also anyone have expeirence with propane yet? I was wondering if or how well, propane and 15gs and a SAFC would work with stock fuel componets. I saw on this board someone ran low 12s i think with upgraded turbos and stock fuel setup.

What do you guys think. My tt has 101k miles on it. Would you put the money in it with turbos or not? Im kinda torn between my options here. I woudnt be running 20psi or boost but maybe like 17-18 when come race time! Would my motor hold it?

If you wouldnt buy turbos what would you do to my car? My mods are in my sig.... I am buying either fittipaldi rims or the ones gt pro has that are like under 20lbs each cause my rims are bent.

I am determined to hit 12s for sure, but i dont think it would take much more in my car.

Maybe you could tell me what you guys would do! Turbos or not! smaller items maybe.

Nitrous isnt an option for me but just about anything else is, within reason. As long as its around 2grand cause thats bout all i can afford not including the rims.

Thanks guys just trying to get some ideas.
So please feel free to share.
Ryan

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
12s

you sure don't need 15Gs to run 12s, that's for sure. You could probably do it as you sit right now. If you want 15Gs you should really upgrade the fuel system, pump and injectors, you will max out the stock setup, even with propane. Do a search, this info is covered a lot...but its really a matter of opinion, and I wouldn't be worried about your car not being able to handle the new turbos, it should be fine. Good luck and have fun modding up!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Honestly, I'd be surprised if you couldn't run 550's and 17-18psi without knock. There's a couple guys on the boards that have done 18psi on the stock fuel system and intercoolers, without alky or propane.

Maniac's right though, you should be able to pull a 12 with what you have and some decent driving (and if your tranny isn't THAT important :D ). If you're looking for better times than that, I'd say, yeah, upgrade the turbos. The whole "won't hold 14psi to redline" thing really bothers me, and it makes a huge difference on your time slip. 15G's, and supporting mods (fuel and spark, mostly) may be able to net you high 11's. (I'm not positive about that, but it sounds about right)

Quick story: My buddy drives a 92 RT/TT, intake, exhaust, boost. I raced him a while back, when I had only an intake, boost control, and DR500's. At the same boost pressure he was running, I walked all over his car, beat him to 100mph by about two car lengths. That was from a 30mph roll. That extra 5psi to redline makes a massive difference.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

Thanks for the replys guys. I do agree with you on possibly being able to run 12s right now. I only have the boost set at 13.8 just to be on the safe side. Im planning on changing the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and i was planning on changing the fuel pump and fuel injectors as an upgrade. This isnt really a good measurement of time but just an idea. I beat a stock 99 z28 by about 3 car lengths and most run mid 13s. I beat a 92(91?) typhoon with just intake and they suposedly run 13.8 stock. I beat him buy about 2-3 carlenghts. Also pretty much raped a late 80's mustang on the highway that supposedly ran mid to high 13's(or so he said)

I think that with the rims that I am buying (about 5lbs less on each rim) and getting my car around 14.5psi I could hit high 12's.

My real goal is to hit 11s or possibly 12s without launching the hell out of my car.

I thought that the stock intercoolers wouldnt cool down the air enough to run like 18psi???

I would like to be as safe as possible though, cause I dont how much knock I would be getting with that much boost. I guess I just dont want to much boost and blow my motor because it would be a while before i could afford to get it fixed... The only time I would probably really run it hard would be at the track w/race gas and trying to cool the engine as much as i could before i went..

If i remeber correctly dont the 15g's hold like 20psi to redline?? Im just looking at probably 18psi when it comes race time but maybe have to test it past that once or twice
:D Ill try and do a search for some more info. I guess I was just looking for people to tell me to go for some 15g's that I wont be sorry!!!:D You know encourage me to go ahead and buy them. That sorta thing.

Thanks a lot guys. ANymore ideas for upgrades let me know. I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Sup Ryan.. I remember you from the '01 midwest gathering in the Dells. At the time, you only have the blue RT.

Have you looked at DR500s instead of 15g's? Supposed to be a good turbo with minimum lag, since you do a lot of street racing, maybe they'd be a better choice?

If you ever wanna come down here and hit Great Lakes Dragway in the Grove, lemme know. My car is now stored for the winter too but I'm hoping to head there this spring and see if I can pull some very high 12's. Take it easy.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jessie,
Thanks for the idea on dr500's. I was looking at 13g's and then decided not to cause when i did that i know i would want more. then took a look at dr650s but they are a good amount more money!

Im still debating what turbos (if i go that route which i think i am)to buy.
Hey jessie did you go to the gathering in the dells this yr??? I was all set planning on going. Made sure to make no plans cause i had fun at the 01 gathering. Soon as i found out when it was I made sure nothing was going on. Then my brother decided to get married on May 18th. The sat. during the gathering. I was kinda mad cause i had fun and just bought the TT stealth in feb. and wanted to go. But being best man and all kinda didnt leave me a choice.

If you do go to the Dragway in union grove keep me in mind. We were thinking about heading down there last yr. But we went to WIR in kaukauna. Its ok there but we wanted to try something else. My buddy has a pretty quick camaro too and he wanted to go so let me know when your going, and ill probably head down there.

THanks anymore ideas are welcome as well.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Something to think about

Buy a datalogger, just in case. You SHOULD be able to hit 18psi, but make sure you're logging it when you try. If you see knock, then don't do it, and save some money for a pair of eclipse IC's (possibly better than the DR side mount upgrade) which can be had from a junkyard for less than $100. Have a machine shop modify the piping (another $100 bucks) strap them in, and you'll definitely be able to run 18+psi.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tenshivr-4 just have a ? for you. Are you talking hitting 18psi on the stock fuel and turbos or do you mean being able to hit 18psi on upgraded turbos and fuel with the stock IC???

Also I dont think they have data logging capabilities on a 94 twin turbo do they???? I was under the understanding it was only for 91-93, but could be wrong. I do have a blitz sbc id that can measure O2 volts and that which would help a little in tuning.

Any idea on how the talon IC are modified to fit? I have a buddy that just put a front mount on his so I may be able to get one real cheap!

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
even with a fmic

even with a fmic you wouldn't hit 18psi with upgraded turbos on stock fuel. If you are looking at upgrading ICs you could talk to dark side racing, they're making some fmic stuff that's pretty affordable

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I was thinking of DR500's also with 450cc dsm injectors.
Do you think 450's will be large enough? If not I will use propane also, but I need to do dp, exhaust, and bc first.
Also I dont think they have data logging capabilities on a 94 twin turbo do they????
No 94-95 can't be datalogged yet
I am buying either fittipaldi rims or the ones gt pro has that are like under 20lbs each cause my rims are bent.
don't get Fittipaldi Forces :D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Maniac:
Seen it done on stock fuel, stock ICs and 15Gs. Wasn't knock free, but it peaked at a whopping knock sum of 2. ;). Oh wait, it wasn't completely stock, had a supra pump. Add 180 simoleans.

I intend on running upwards of 20psi once I get my 550's and VPC in and running (hopefully before christmas). I've still got the stock IC's too.
People will tell you: "don't run over 14psi!" only because it's risky to say "run what you can get away with."

Sweet:
Run what YOU see fit. Part of modding a car is knowing the car, understanding (atleast a little bit) how it works, and having a feel for what you can and cannot do with your current set up. That's what tuning is, boost plays a part. If you can't log it, MSD, HKS, and Autometer all sell gauges that will monitor engine knock (some replace the sensor; HKS, MSD (I think?), others don't (autometer). Knock is going to be your biggest worry when it comes to boost. (Fuel requirements, limits, etc. are all there to reduce risk of detonation and keep your motor safe.) Your best friends when it comes to figuring out how much boost to run will be your O2's (A/F), EGT (a pair, if you can, tough to install), and a knock monitor.

As for the eclipse IC's... Do a search, there was a recent discussion about them. You'll have to find a machine shop to do some mandril bends on the piping, and maybe weld a new mounting bracket, but other than that, they'll bolt right in. Plus, the IC's were made for the 14b turbo, which is almost the same size as a 15G, should work out really well. Also, you can usually pick them up at a junkyard for under $50 bucks an IC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts