Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm in the midst of gathering gears for modding my Spyder. Now my goal is not to be the king of the dragway. I'm just looking for a bit more speed so I can run away from all the new high power coupes/sedans convincingly. Not looking for a Viper or even a Vett killer. I'd still like it to apear stock, able to enjoy the comfort without an obnoxiously loud exhaust system.

I have a Stillen Intake on right now. I have or have ordered the following parts:
DSBC
RPS Stage III
Aluminum Flywheel
Front & Rear Strut bar

I'm thinking about getting a HKS Turbo Dual tip (stock look) cat back, but know that is no where near the full benifit without replacing the downpipe. But which downpipe? Any that doesn't change the tune too much so it's not very loud? Can you get a downpipe with cat?

I'm not thinking about a UDP because of various reasons (For one, the covert. top gobbles power like crazy, so I don't know how a UDP will affect that.)

Any suggestions on what else I can get to still apear stock while improving power/handling would be much appreciated.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Light weight rims for one. I know it changes the stock looks - but it doesn't make it look or perform differently.
You can get a highflow cat. But a downpipe*test pipe* would be cheaper.
If you are brave *NOS*.
Maybe, larger turbos.
BOV - not sure if this is any sorta of perfomance but they are cool :)
Latrger fuel injectors.
Water/Alky kit.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, thanks for the suggestions!

I may get lighter weight rims, I don't need to keep that stock looking. And given that the Spyder is a hog, I'm definitly planning to look at weight saving ideas (as soon as I run out of the basic go fast mods). I'm going to remove my spares, anyone know how much they weigh?

I'm never going near NOS. And probably won't get larger turbos unless my current ones go or I'm ready for a engine swap. I'll probably get a BOV, just so it'll help keep the boost more consistant and faster. I'm not sure of fuel injectors or water/alky kit is of real benifit unless I run larger turbos, as I don't think our stock turbo can hold much higher boost than 15psi to redline anyways.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Keep stock rims.. it keeps stock look
Get a downpipe, whichever you prefer, but either gut your precat's or install eliminators, and use a high flow cat, not a test pipe.
You don't need nitrous, you don't need a bov unless yours honks, otherwise it's optional.
For real balls you will need to redo ignition system, fuel system, and turbine system, other then that you can pretty much keep stock internals.. stock motor can handle 700 or so good hp..
Three things make the car; Fuel, Air, and Spark
with those three, you are capable of anything.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Another thing you may want to look into is i believe its called clipping the turbos?
This makes them spool longer or fast I forget. I don't know much about the different methods of modding the turbos, as I drive a N/A.

-Jeff

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,372 Posts
Definitely get a downpipe because this allows the turbo to spool faster. I would suggest the Stillen because it has a flex section plus it eliminates the front and main cat were others do not.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clipping the turbo is too much trouble. If I'm gonna do that I'd just upgrade to bigger turbos first.

As to downpipes, I definitly would like to get one, the main reason why I'm holding off buying the HKS Turbo Exhaust as that would gain me much without the downpipe. But I hate to be obnoxiously loud as well, am espcially concerned about noise when I have the top open. Any good downpipe out there that's not very loud?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the performance difference between an ATR and a Stillen downpipe?

And how loud is the Stillen? Anyone have any sound clips? (Can I still have a chance to pass emission test if I don't have cats?)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unclesam099 said:
with that spyder of yours, i'm not sure if the rear strut bar is going to fit without destroying the top when you put it down!!!! BE CAREFUL!!!!
I'm gonna find out next week. Upon preliminary inspection, it doesn't look like the bar would interfere with the top.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you don't have a main cat, it will sound loud as shit.
As for precats, you don't need them, just if you have emissions, warm the car up before testing....
Also, you can't pass inspection with no cat. you must have one.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RacerRT said:
If you don't have a main cat, it will sound loud as shit.
As for precats, you don't need them, just if you have emissions, warm the car up before testing....
Also, you can't pass inspection with no cat. you must have one.
So can anyone recommend any downpipe that works with a stock cat or comes with a highflow cat?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
ATR, DN Performance...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.