Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's one around here that i'm looking into purchasing. i'm just looking for basic info on these cars, stock HP/TQ. it's a 5sp so i was wondering if those tranny's held up pretty well. the guy said on the phone that it was intercooled and that they didn't make very many of those? any info would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Hey, didn't I just see you somewhere recently?

Yes, all '89 Shelby's were intercooled and programed to boost 15psi for a couple seconds and then drop to ~12psi. Can't recall the power #s but it was an impressive car. I would get up to 30 miles / gallon also.

It uses a Getrag 5 speed but parts are available. I was about to replace syncros but decided to sell as is a couple years ago (when I bought the Talon).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it was great seeing you guys run on saturday. it would've been nice to get to talk to y'all a little more but we didn't stay very long and i guess i'm a little shy. anyhow, thanks for the info. you wouldn't happen to know what kind/size turbo it is?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I believe '89 was before we started using Mitsu turbos, so it would be a Garrett but don't quote me on that. There should be plenty of web sites out there featuring the old 2.2/2.5L turbos Chrysler put out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Being BIG Shelby Daytona fan, I can offer the following info. on the 89 models. The engine is a 2.2 liter sohc inline four. This enigne was dubbed the Turbo II and was built between the years 1987 to 1989. It made 174hp, and 210 ft/lbs of torque.

The turbo is indeed a Garret......a T04 to be exact. The turbo itself has a compressor housing A/R of .42, an exhaust housing A/R of .48, compressor inducer size of 42 mm,
compressor exducer size of 60 mm, and an exhaust turbine diameter of 48 mm. All Turbo II's were intercooled from the factory. Max boost is 12psi. Overboost cut out happens at 14.7psi.

The transmission was built by Getrag, model A-555. It's bullet proof and strong. There are many guys running 300hp on this transmission with no failure. I've seen specs on the tranny, saying its max torque rating cap. from the factory is near 400 ft lbs.

Performance wise a stock Shelby Daytona will run 0 to 60mph in about 7.5 seconds. Quater mile times are in the mid 15's. Daytona's weigh in about 3100 lbs, so they are not the lightest of the Turbo Chryslers.

Yes the Shelby Daytona's of 89 are a more rare car, espeically today, seeings how they are now 12 year old cars. I see very few anymore in my area, and the ones I do see are my own. :D I love my cars, and have know them to be really realiable. The turbo engines were all built in an over-engineered manner, especially the Turbo II, which recieved a forged crank vs the heavy duty cast one some of the other turbo engines got. Either way these engines are strong. Like I said above many are capable of turning out 300hp with all stock engine internals. The bottom ends are bullet proof. I've got 131,000 miles on one of my Shelbys, and it runs llike a top. I know a guy out there running 12's with his and it has 125,000 miles on no rebuild, and all stock parts.

I say buy it if you get the chance. They are fun cars to drive. I hope this gives you some info on the Shelby's. If you have anymore, just drop me a line and I'd be glad to answer then if I can. By the way, how many miles does the one your looking at have, and whats the price?

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,344 Posts
Shelby VNT said:
Being BIG Shelby Daytona fan, I can offer the following info. on the 89 models. The engine is a 2.2 liter sohc inline four. This enigne was dubbed the Turbo II and was built between the years 1987 to 1989. It made 174hp, and 210 ft/lbs of torque.

The turbo is indeed a Garret......a T04 to be exact. The turbo itself has a compressor housing A/R of .42, an exhaust housing A/R of .48, compressor inducer size of 42 mm,
compressor exducer size of 60 mm, and an exhaust turbine diameter of 48 mm. All Turbo II's were intercooled from the factory. Max boost is 12psi. Overboost cut out happens at 14.7psi.

The transmission was built by Getrag, model A-555. It's bullet proof and strong. There are many guys running 300hp on this transmission with no failure. I've seen specs on the tranny, saying its max torque rating cap. from the factory is near 400 ft lbs.

Performance wise a stock Shelby Daytona will run 0 to 60mph in about 7.5 seconds. Quater mile times are in the mid 15's. Daytona's weigh in about 3100 lbs, so they are not the lightest of the Turbo Chryslers.

Yes the Shelby Daytona's of 89 are a more rare car, espeically today, seeings how they are now 12 year old cars. I see very few anymore in my area, and the ones I do see are my own. :D I love my cars, and have know them to be really realiable. The turbo engines were all built in an over-engineered manner, especially the Turbo II, which recieved a forged crank vs the heavy duty cast one some of the other turbo engines got. Either way these engines are strong. Like I said above many are capable of turning out 300hp with all stock engine internals. The bottom ends are bullet proof. I've got 131,000 miles on one of my Shelbys, and it runs llike a top. I know guy out there running 12's with his and it has 125,000 miles on no rebuild, and all stock parts.

I say buy it if you get the chance. They are fun cars to drive. I hope this gives you some info on the Shelby's. If you have anymore, just drop me a line and I'd be glad to answer then if I can. By the way, how many miles does the one your looking at have, and whats the price?
WOW !!!!
This makes me wanna go out and buy one. Are you sure you aren't related to Lee Iacoca ?

:D

·
510 Posts
Second car...

My second car was a Dodge Daytona Turbo, 1986 vintage. I swear, the only service you needed to do to keep this car running for OVER 200,000 miles was to change the oil, cap/rotor, plugs and oil filter every 3000 miles. Probably cost me $30 every three months to maintain that car.

I had 212,000 miles on my 86 when it gave up the ghost. The car was retired with the stock turbo in great condition, and the piston's/valves virtually carbon free.

I will say this about the car...the damn thing had too much torque for it's own good, and I could light up the drive tire for two blocks, (not that it wins races, but it was fun to get the front end up occasionally)! There wasn't a Mustang GT that could catch me in that car...

By the way, a quick browse through the old Mopar catalog revealed an interesting treat: For ~ $1200 you could install a rear wheel drive conversion kit! To the day, I have yet to see one, (haven't really looked), but the upgrade was offered nonetheless. Now THAT could have been fun!

Good luck on your purchase!

DJ

·
Registered
223 Posts
LOL :D

No I'm not related to Lee Iacoca, but hey, that wouldn't be such a bad thing. The guy is really into cars. He doesn't just run the big companies for the heck of it. In fact when he came to Chrysler he had the Mopar guys in the performance department whip a Shelby Daytona special for him that was tuned. It seems he was loosing stop light races back in '89 on the way home from work! No lie!

Oh and that $1200 rear wheel drive conversion kit. I've never seen one myself yet, but that could be cool. I guess the kits were pretty bare, meaning you were supplied with a rear wheel drive housing smimilar to what the 2.5 liter Dakota's had, and that was about all. The rest of the parts and mounting was up to you to figure out. Lots of fab required there!

It's interesting though because there is a rear wheel driver convert Shelby Charger GLHS that I've seen on the net. It's a pretty sweet set up. I'm pretty sure that he was running in the 10's or 11's. The cool thing is with the rear wheel drive set up, the engine gets turn sideways, so you can now see the turbo! usually it's just hidden very close to the fire wall.

Talk later.......

·
Registered
327 Posts
here's my Daytona I had for 6 years...
before accident (my fault, rear ended a SUnfire...)

after accident (new paint...)

great in the snow too with good snow tires:

bought 15"rims from a wrecking yard off of a Omni GLHS (?) and mounted the snow tires on them...

Let me tell you. I had that car BONE STOCK for over 2 years before I got into it. First up was a custom 3" exhaust from the down pipes back while eliminating the cat. Turbo spooled quicker thus getting the power down faster, and subsequently getting more low end power. In the last year I owned it I first blew the top end at 220k kms, had it remilled and put back on, then the bottom end went. BUT, Im convinced it was the fault of the mechanic (the bottom end) cause i have friends that have Daytonas well into the 300k km mark as we speak.

Lots of pull in those cars too man, you wont be dissapointed. Just before I sold mine I put an MBC onto it and dialed up to around 18lbs boost. Ran REALLY lean for a bit, but managed not to do any damage to the car. If you can do it properly (new injectors, fuel pump...) you'll have a rocket on your hands.

PS... the KC daylighters were attatched to the car with 4 nuts/bolts, and the wiring was via a trailer harness connector so everything could be taken off the car in less than 10 mins. I used to commute to work twice a week over 300kms each way over a mauntain road, so the extra lighting came in handy :D

Also, if you're into stereo's, an alternator (175 amp) from a dodge truck will fit nicely in the engine campartment. I had it done and ran 3 amps, two Pioneer GMH200's and an Alpine MRVF400s and NEVER had headlight fade, even near top volume.

·
Registered
478 Posts
'86 daytona ....waterpumpx2...radiator...alternator...ignition/pickup....a/c compressor...cv jointsx2...head{warped}...300,000km put to pasture in 98. BTW repairs cost me close to what I paid for the vehicle in 1990 .......all this and I still liked the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I still love that 89 Shelby of yours Medicguy. It sure looks awesome after the paint.

T-tops equipped Daytona's, by the way are even more rare of a find. Don't bother looking for them after the 89 model year though, cause they were no longer offered.

They say the stock Shelby Daytona fuel pump will flow plenty enough fuel to support 275hp. With 18psi you'll be looking at about that power level. I'm hoping to tune mine up to the 300hp level, and aiming for a 13 sec time, if not 12's on 20psi. I'll be changing the turbo, the head, the fuel injectors, going to a nice 3" exhaust, a huge front mounted intercooler, intake manifold and header, and maybe the cam. Ahh...to dream! :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys, thanks alot for all the info. i bought the car for $1300. it only has 91k miles on it. full tune up (minus timing belt: was done at ~60k) was done a few hundred miles ago. new front tires. new clutch about 20k miles ago. the 5spd shifts great and it runs like a top. it's blue but needs paint bad. the factory leather seats look good after 12 years, the factory CD player has a short in it, and the headliner is a little "lazy". but mechanically this car is great. i'm really excited now.... i got BOOST:D

·
3SI #1068
546 Posts
we have a 88 shelby sitting outside.. great car.. e just finished re-building the engine and all the cosmetic b.s. inside the car.. luckily the junkyards around here are FILLED with daytonas... very fun to drive just wish we would of upgraded a few things.. oh it has 166xxx miles..

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
What I would love to have is the turbo III engine that pumps out over 300HP in my 87 shelby Charger!!! The Super 60 turbo on that baby is good for I think 18 or 20 psi! You have to drop in the same pump that the Viper uses for that one! All in all it's good for about a 10 sec 1320ft run if you can get it to hook up. You can swap out the timing belt in like two hours tops on that thing Toxic, and it is a piece of cake!
The only thing I've done to mine was the chip, injectors and got my head fully race ported. I didn't feel comfortable porting the turbo myself so I lost a little power. I can still spin the tires in 1st through 3rd and chirp 4th launching from a stopped position.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats Toxic! I hope you enjoy her. You sound like you got a great deal on it too! I can still remember the first time I got a ride with boost! It was a 87 Shelby Z and ever since then I'm doing nothing but grinning every time I hop in my Shelby VNT.

As for the Turbo III, a very nice engine considering it has the 16 valve head, but getting 300 realiable horse out of it is tough. They head is kind of fragile and pushing it to the limit kind of seems to shorten its life. A well tuned Turbo II or IV will toast it. Turbo II's and IV's are super strong engines by comparison on the top end. They share the same block and crank though.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
Looking back I see I made a mistake. It was a Turbo II not turbo III. I have the article and this thing made 305Hp with 314ft/lbs of torque. They said at low boost the left front tire off of the rim three different occasions. At low boost they recorded a time of 12.64, and they said it was done on a track not noted for good traction:). The article also notes that Team Shelby made over 400 HP out of the 2.0L turbo II engine in a Lebaron with a top speed of 195MPH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts