Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Basically I bought this car 3 days ago, I knew the handbrake was broken but didn't know to what extent. I took out the centre console to access it and it looks like it got ripped from the floor. Not too sure how this happened... anyone know how they would deal with this, I'm out of ideas and thinking I might get a welder to fix it up. I attached a photo of what it looks like btw.
Thanks guys
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 4.45.04 PM.png

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,663 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,525 Posts
Welding is the most common solution, however, I recall that Larry @RealMcCoy posted about a method with brackets and fasteners.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth ES 5sp
110 Posts
if you're not able to get it to someone to fix it, or you are on a budget, grind down the jagged edges and apply a thick, smooth layer of JB weld over. once it cures and is dry, you can tap new holes in the JB weld for whatever thread bolts you have/want to use. or if you really don't care, JB weld the handbrake bracket in haha.

·
Registered
1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies guys, going to try to get it done soon soon and get the car ready for some summer cruising. 😀

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Welding is the most common solution, however, I recall that Larry @RealMcCoy posted about a method with brackets and fasteners.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
I remember posting it on the other forum, not sure it ever made it here... But it consisted of welding patches in with captured nuts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not ripped mine out but this might work, first do your best to create a round hole with no tears. Then you need what I call a thread setter.

Hole on the right is my new threaded bung, worked just as planned.
20200923_061645.jpg
20200923_061412.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts