Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a jspec engine swap done a couple of months ago (91 TT), and car has been running great up until I installed the ATR exhaust (dp, cat, cat-back) and replaced the front precat with a straight pipe. Lately I've been hearing a whining noise, so today when I was checking for oil in the y-pipe, I came across this small hose leading to nowhere!!

Here's where I traced it back to (don't know what the part is called), right next to the coolant reservoir:

Here's where the hose ends, behind the throttle body:

I couldn't find anywhere to plug it in, so I hope someone knows where it should go!

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
i will go look at my car here in a bit and find out for ya.....are there any hoses missing of the H pipe (little H looking connector) right behind the throtle body hidden back down there? maybe for the evap can?

edit: looks like the hoses are all on the boost solenoids...

·
Registered
1994 3000GT VR4 - 1999 Lexus SC400
772 Posts
My car also had a jspec engine swap, and i noticed that i have a hose that isnt connected to anything either in that area, but i havent had my car back for about 3 weeks due to a busted tranny, i would also like to know where that hose goes....it may have somethin to do with my boost problems, i am unable to boost over 8...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Post a shot of the entire motor, I think I know what it is...

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
It's probably for the charcoal canister that absorbs fuel vapors.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You think it's part of the EVAP system drew? The part in the first pic looked at first like some type of inline air filter to me, simmilar to that of the apexi boost controllers... I know we have some elsewhere int he car as well...

Looking back at it I kinda resembles a Purge selenoid. But if there was even the slightest leak in that system he'd have CEL lights up the wazoo...

::sigh:: I'll go down to my car and look...

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
try 17-4 or 19-4 of the service manual. I forget, but i think that the fuel vapor system is correct.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ahhhh POKEY! How've you been man?

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part of the EVAP system may be right - my car stinks whenever I drive it hard and then slow down, kind of a rotten smell (could possibly be a cat problem).

Here are two shots of the engine, first two links are straight on:
HIGH resolution
low resolution

These two are a side angle shot:
HIGH resolution
low resolution

I almost forgot to say THANKS for helping, everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The vacuum line is from the charcoal purge valve. The actual plumbing at the firewall is not obvious. The lines are interconnected between the EGR solenoid and the evap. emmission solenoid. You really need a manual to properly hook every thing up.

Jeff

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thanks for helping! I have the 3s manual cd - it's likely that I'll find it there, right? I'll try 17-4 and 19-4 as suggested by Pokey, and if I can't figure it out, I'll just have to go back to the shop that installed the engine for me and have them figure it out :)

Appreciate y'all's help :cool:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have the 92-96 manual and the 92 hose layout is on page 17-52. I don't know if the 91 is the same but it's most likely similar. Both the EGR and Evap solenoids have two hoses. I can only see one on the pictures you took. It could be that your solenoids are differnt than mine, a 97. If there is a nipple open on either of the solenoids, that is a clue for you.

Jeff

·
BAWC: In the Mix
5,168 Posts
I traced that line to here (see attached). There is a tube underneith (very poorly highlighted in pic) where it should hook up. The vac diagram under my hood confirms this.

That hose looks larger than stock too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Is that the Tee fitting, there may be red lines on the hose if it is the Tee. That line is under vacuum when the solenoid is open and you could hear the leaking air. Tht hose is pretty stiff looking, it may have be attached and just came loose. The factory hose is the same size as the other vacuum lines going to the fitting on top of the throtte body. You may have to replace the entire hose to the purge valve with the right size hose. Good luck.

Jeff

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THANKS!!

Thanks G-Ell - I was just about to ask if there was a nipple underneath there, because that's what I was reading from my manual. Ill try to find it tomorrow when I have some light again... kind of a feel-your-way-around to find it :)

For anyone who's interested, here's what I got from the manual:

Thanks everyone - I'll post again when I've tried to attach it...

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Darnitt

Arrgh! The nipple that the loose hose is supposed to hook up to already has a different hose hooked up to it!!! The one that's connected has a red dashed line on it, like it says in the manual, and it's thinner like the other ones, but I can't figure out where it comes from..... Stuff like this just annoys me :mad: I'm gonna try to look some more and see if I can trace the connected hose back to somewhere.... I guess.... The fun just never ends.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Those hoses including the one you have marked in red are the 2 SMALL hoses off the little valve. They both go to small metal lines near the front turbo, that then go to the back, then hoses connect them up to the bunch of stuff near the throttle body as shown in the diagram.

What is NOT shown in your diagram is the big one you can't figure out. It is NOT supposed to go all the way over to the throttle body area like yours is run. It is supposed to be only about 6-10 inches long and goes to a big fiiting on the HUGE rubber intake tube monstrosity that goes to the front turbo inlet. This monstrosity is what I call the "snuffalufagus" tube, that goes to the MAS and runs to each turbo inlet.

This is definitely where it goes, I just checked my car to confirm.

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Moparjim, are you sure? I have one small hose coming off the top of the canister, one small (smaller than top one) off the right side, and then a BIG one underneath the small one on the side. Sounds like you're talking about the biggest of them... it's short and kinda swings is an S-shape towards the rear of the engine, and connects to a big tube/hose directly underneath the Y-pipe.

Anyway, I tried to follow the red-dashed hose coming off the nipple by the TB, but it's impossible to see where it goes after it disappears under the TB pointing towards the front of the engine. I don't want to pull on it much either, in case it ends up where it's supposed to be.... I'll just have the mechanic that installed the jspec take a look at it this week.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.