Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put my car back together after 3 years. hooked everything up and when i turn the key it makes one click all, the lights go dim, the wire what runs from the negative terminal on the battery to the top bolt on the starter gets hot and convulses when key is turned. any ideas?? i ran a new wire tied connecting it to a starter that i had laying around and same thing happens. (car is a 91 3000gt vr4 81k btw.)

·
No longer in KY
2,351 Posts
Problem is, the starter grounds through the engine block not from a wire. The only large wire going to the starter from the battery is supposed to be hooked to battery positive. That heat is the result of a dead short not a lack of connection.

Engine block grounding is done on a bellhousing bolt from trans to engine in front.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Problem is, the starter grounds through the engine block not from a wire. The only large wire going to the starter from the battery is supposed to be hooked to battery positive. That heat is the result of a dead short not a lack of connection.

Engine block grounding is done on a bellhousing bolt from trans to engine in front.
+1, you should only have positive wire from the battery to starter terminal, not a negative from battery to starter. (You will also have a smaller signal wire, but this does not come directly from the battery).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
On many cars the ground cable that goes to the bellhousing uses one of the starter mounting bolts. I know mine always has since I have owned it and I dont believe the starter was ever replaced by the previous (original) owner. If that is what he is talking about by the "going to the top bolt of the starter" then that is just fine.

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,415 Posts
If the long wire to the battery actually is connected to the negative terminal, then nothing should happen. Both sides of the starter would be connected to ground.

Sounds like there's a major wiring error somewhere. What is battery + connected to??

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
OK, lets try to clear some potential confusion here.

There are two long battery cables that run to the starter area, one from the positive terminal and one from the negative terminal.

The one from the negative terminal connects to the bellhousing. This is often done using one of the starter mounting bolts, which is perfectly normal and fine.

The one from the positive terminal connects to the solenoid on the back of the starter.

Assuming that is how his is wired (not sure why it wouldnt be but I've seen stranger), then there is nothing wrong with his wiring as far as connections.

A hot battery cable when trying to start (either one, doesnt matter) suggests a large increase in resistance in the circuit, increasing the heat. This could be a broken battery cable internally, corrosion at a connection or inside a cable, a problem with the starter, or a locked up engine that wont turn (causes the starter to draw more power trying to turn something that wont move).

·
No longer in KY
2,351 Posts
Increased resistance with fixed voltage will reduce current flow. Check ohms law.

Dead shorting will bring the heat throughout the entire wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts