Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help guys...

A little about the situation, I'm in the United States Navy and my ship just got back from a Western Pacific deployment. While we were in Darwin Australia, I bought a Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa and had it shipped to Hawaii where I live. I cleared the bike from customs, (which was a mistake on there part) and now I can't register the damn thing. I have contacted some of the ICI organizations (independant copliance places) and they said that it's going to cost around 2,500 bucks to get it within standards. Is this how the cars are done also? I know some people have GTO's from Japan. This is really pissin' me off that I have a $10,000 bike that I can't ride legally.

All reply's are appreciated,
J.L

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Then don't ride it legally!! Half of the people on this board don't have emissions compliant exhausts!!!!!

·
2,994 Posts
NO, there is a way. I read a story about it in a car mag where someone in the service got to drive a Silvia here in the states without mods. He had to sign a waver that stated that he could not sell it at all and stuff. It is kinda cool. If I was to do it, I'd do the skyline though. Check with your branch office they should know.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I imported my Stealth from Canada. Granted, being first sold in Canada meant that it was already in compliance with U.S. safety and emission standards, but perhaps there is some useful information in my FAQ that can help you.

If nothing else, check out the links (which may or may not still be current :)) to the NHTSA web site, wherein you can see what the rules are for bringing any vehicle in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts