Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to getting my driver license and I have some money saved up, about 10 grand, and I'm having a tough time deciding weather or not to go for a stealth R/T Twin Turbo or something better for my climate ( I live in Edmonton, so the winters are very cold and the summers are very hot ). I was thinking on getting something cool, unique, a 2 door, and AWD, and the stealth fulfills all of those needs for me. The main thing I'm scared about is the cost of having to maintain this car. I'm scared of expensive parts and very poor aftermarket support. I also want to go on a lot of road trips and I'm scared of the car being unreliable.
I'm sorry if it's hard to read my message, but here are he main points summed up:
Scared about poor winter performance
Scared about cost to fix
Scared about aftermarket support
Reliability

I was looking at other options that would be better considering my problems, mainly the Honda CR-X, the Infiniti G35/G35x/G37/G37x, and the Honda Civic Si.
I would love to hear your guys' opinions on my predicament

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I can tell you the AWD system with some good all season tires works great in the snow. That being said, with the age of these cars, I'd say they make a great second car, but not a good only car. I had one right out of high school years ago, and I was lucky enough to borrow my dad's truck when I'd break my stealth.
If you do end up getting one, you will be the badst cat in town, when it's running.

·
Verified ***** Member
433 Posts
I would recommend getting something a little cheaper for your first car (assuming that's what this is). Especially these days with the fuel prices the way they are, if you are planning on lots of road trips, fuel will likely be your largest expense on the car.

I know they are much less cool, but getting a little four cylinder diesel or gas Econo car would be my suggestion. My stealth was my fourth car, and I bought it when I was 19. I had lots of learning to do before I owned it.

·
Flasher
9,753 Posts
Scared about cost to fix
Scared about aftermarket support
Reliability
I've owned these cars for 18 years, and I'm scared of these as well. :D

Yeah I wouldn't recommend it as your only one. Too old and too little support these days for that.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,889 Posts
I guess "paint me stupid" may be in line (for me).
I purchased my (then) 15 yr. old middle son his dream first car, a 1993 3000GT VR4.
Of course, that was about 15 yrs ago, BUT, it still his only car (he had a GVR4 too, for a while).
Yes, it's been down a few times, but nothing major.

I would probably agree with those who have posted above me.
It might not be the best first/only car now (being that even the "newest" ones are 20+ yrs. old).
I can say, however, that like anything else, if you take care of it (like he still does), it takes care of you....

Bob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy an AWD CR-V for winter time. You can get these in manual trans if you want. Id even slap a turbo on it.
Buy the GT for summer time. These cars are only increasing in value.

You gonna cry big tears if you destroy a nice car from the winter elements, salt, etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the help, to be honest I think I might get something a bit cheaper and less expensive, maybe a wrx or or a g35/g35x/g37/g37x. I might get a stealth or a 3000gt when im 10 years older, lets hope they're not antiques by then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts