Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking at this post, here what i need hlp with:
i'm interested in buying a 93 3000GT VR-4 from a dealership and i am planning to take it to a mechanic to get it checked out
the car is in really clean condition and has 59,000 miles on it (is this good mileage?)
the car seems to be running good, but then again i wouldn't know (not knowledgeable on that suject, hence i'm here)
is there anything i should tell the mechanic to check that he regularly wouldn't check (like stuff that has to do with the turbo,etc.) and is there anything i should check while at the dealership? i would appreciate any help you could give me and feel free to add anything else
Thanks and i hope your help will help me in bringing this awsome car home
(incase your wondering the dealer wants $19,990 for the car, but i've talked hiim down to about $14,500! so i think i'm ok there!)

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Well looks like you picked a nice car. The price still seems a little high, but not too much. My best thing of advice would be just to look at the engine bay from the top and then look at if from the bottom and make sure there is no oil coming out from the transmission or the engine. Also look at getting an extended warranty. There are more things to check, but looking for oil leaks would be the first thing I would check...........corey

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your help patryn!
do you know of any specific test the mechanic should perform, someone told me a compression test or somehting like that? if anyone would like to add anything else it would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

G

·
I would say that a lengthy test drive would be in order...check for flawless upshifting and downshifting...no choppy shifts or grinding,Leave the radio off,listen to that in the parking lot,check every option any that dont work are bargaining chips,make sure that the "active aero" works stuff like that.I tell you this because I bought a 91 vr4 and the owner told me that the car was in excellent condition inside and out period,Its a very nice car but the aero is all stove up under the front{curb}and the rear doesnt work either.....Let us know how you make out.....Mark

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help Mark
The Active Areo worked, but i'm not to familiar with it, so i ask, when i took it out for a test drive the active areo was on auto, so it came up by it self, but when we came to a stop it slammed down (the spoiler) it was pretty loud, it made me look back, is this normal or is it suposse to like come down really soft?
please get back to me and i will keep you informed of my situation, another task i have is to find some extended warranty which is hard but i found a couple of companies that were willing to give me a warranty, if anyonw is interested post a message requesting their phone numbers!
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Something else you may want to look into is the 60K service. You mentioned the car has 59K on it, so it probably hasn't been taken care of yet. This should include changing all of the belts, especially the timing belt, and replacing the water pump. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
-Scott
'95 Stealth R/T

·
Registered
600 Posts
Also, ask the dealer if the 60,000 mile service has been performed and specifically what has been changed in the 60,000 mile service. The timing belt, tensioner and water pump. If it has not been done, it'll cost you between $1200 and $1500 to get done! Better to be safe than sorry!

Jose Soriano
[email protected] www.linkline.com/personal/amahoser

G

·
Check and see if the sport button for the exhaust is working and hold your hand on the passenger side tailpipe to see if there is exhaust comming out,mine didnt work so I manually switched it to duel and thats just another option that doesnt work.and yes check the 60k service make sure they do it for nothing and get an extended warranty talk soon.....Mark

G

·
Believe me, you want the transmission and transfer case checked. I bought my '92 last year w/ 53K miles, new tires and in great shape. I paid $14,500 for mine, so the price is retail, but it depends how bad you want one and what kind of shape you want. The $19,900 is a rediculous starting price, is he a robber or what? The 60k mile service will cost you a least a $1000, I would mention that and see if you can get it any lower. You must decide for yourself what the car is worth. I am very happy w/ mine, and I think it was worth it.

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everone for your help, it is going to be very helpful when i go back to check the car out again, so far things are looking good for me on purchasing the car
If you'd like to add anything else i'd really appreciate it!
Thanks Again!

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone but i still have a couple of questions that havent been answered:
1.)when i ask if they performed the 60K service should i make sure the water pump was replaced or rebuilt (i a rebuilt water pump bad?)

2.)like i mentioned earlier, when i took the car out for a spin, the active areo came down automatically at a stop sign but it slammed down, it was pretty loud, is that normal or should it come down pretty easily and smoothly?

Thanks again for all your help, hope you can answer these questions and add anything you need too!
CrazyVR4

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't have a turbo myself, but I've garnered from the number of posts on this board that the Getrag transmissions seem to be the biggest problem, and worst feature, of the turbos. I'm surprised that there's been only the one post mentioning it so far.

They seem to go bad early, but the worst part is that individual parts are not available from Mitsubishi or Getrag. Instead, the entire transmission must be replaced. Hence, do a search here for old posts which refer to "Getrag", and see what advice others have given in the past about how to test-drive the transmission of a potential purchase.

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your help Andrew, that is true, i've heard about how the transmission is a problem, but the way figure it, i hope it goes out so that i can get it replaced (im going to purchase a extended warranty fo the car, so i'd pay like a $50 deductable to get it replaced, good deal, huh?)
Thanks for everyone's help, and please add more comments that would help and try to answer the other questions that have not been answered in the previous posts
thanks again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Make sure 60k servicing has been done and new timing belt has been installed along with the other parts mentioned. You also want a NEW water pump. One more thing, get the VIN number of the car and go to CARFAX on the internet and have them run a vin check to see if that is the cars actual mileage or if it has been in any accidents. Do not buy it until you have checked the vin! Also, take the car to a reputable Mitsubishi service department to have it looked at. They have had the most experience with our cars and can give you a good evaluation of it's condition.

G

·
As others have mentioned, the timing belt MUST be replaced at 60k no matter what condition it seems to be in. If it breaks while driving, it can cause major engine damage $$$.
As far as the active aero, my rear active spoiler does not function and from what I've read, these spoilers seem to fail a lot. Many of us just forget about it since it is primarily an aesthetic feature and does not seem to have much impact on performance.
Good luck and enjoy !

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a 92 VR4 and my active area is work and will continue to work as long as you spray a little WD40 on it evey once and a while. And yes if it works the rear wing will thump when it comes down, that's standard

As for your water pump question, if you can get the dealer to change it for N/C great. Might be a good idea to have it done anyway since you don't know how often the antifreeze has been changed. Antifreeze doesn't go bad it's the rust inhibitors and other proerty that don't hold up over time.

You may even consider paying for the part and having them install it at the same time they do the timing belt, if they don't go for the water pump, totally.

You may also want to post the area in which where you live, I am sure someone in your area might be willing to give it a quick check for you. Unless your mechanic know these cars it's hard to find some one who might pick up on a slight problem, if they are not familiar with these cars. Just a suggestion.

I check it out for you if you live in the Northern VA area.

Good luck,

Dave Best
3Si #62
92 VR4

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
When the active aero on my '94 VR4 retracts you here a modest humming sound (the aero unit motor for the rear spoiler) followed by a gentle clunk as the rear spoiler seats.

I never notice the front aero making any noise (meaning I have no sense of sound or vibration coming from the front of the car).

When I say the rear makes a gentle clunk this is with the windows up and the radio/CD on at reasonable volume, engine running. If I hit the manual aero switch with the door open and car off (key in ignition- as you would do to get the active aero engaged to wash the car)it is a pretty noticeable whirr of the aero motor and a healthy thud.

I know this has to be tough to judge because sound is somewhat subjective and what is modest to one person can be loud or quiet to another.

Hope this helps some.

Chris

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your help everyone, it has been really helpful and I will keep you guys posted on my current situation with purchasing the car.
If anyone else would like to add something else it would be greaty appriciated!
Thanks Again Everyone!

·
I need money...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your help everyone, i finally bought it!
it's gotta be the Craziest cars i've ever drivin!
I really appriciate all the help, the dealer was really stiff and they didn't do the 60K service for it!
but oh well, can i use non-OEM parts (timing belt, water pump, etc.) when i do the 60k service? well i know i CAN use no -oem parts but it is a smart thing to do?
any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, i mite of not bought this car without everyone's help, now i could officially use the below signature!

------------------
Nick
1993 3000GT VR-4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.