Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need as many Stock 1/4 mile slips as I can get to prove that what a Magazine says is not always acurate. On another Forum this guy swaers by what R&T prints, and I need help showing him otherwise. This is not limited to out cars,really. Any times from stock cars will work.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
well i don't have a TT but i was wondering what this guy is saying that they run?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's trying to say that what R&T says is the end all, be all. He quoted R&T for the 91s with the mag they appeared in a while ago, and now he's calling people idiots for trying to say that a NSX runs other than what a mag says it does.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I ran a 14.9 @ 93 stock in a n/a. Magazines say they run a 15.7 or so.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Well

Motor Trend said 13.5 @ 101 mph... and again 13.6 @ 102 mph a different year. If he believes Road & Track, maybe he'll listen to MT. ;)

PM ran a 13.44 with a stock VR4 ~

http://popularmechanics.com/automot...comparison_test_13_quickest_cars/index6.phtml

Famous PM 6k launch! :eek:

And btw - tell him that Road & Track is DAMN conservative. This is especially hard on the VR4 which NEEDS a launch to get a respectable time. When they launch it at 1500 rpms and bog :rolleyes:, what'd you expect [which they did, read the test conditions carefully].

Fastest test I've ever seen got a 12.88 stock, but it was the Japan ONLY racing/lightened GTO VR4 "MR."

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I also ran a 14.9 stock in my n/a

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I ran [email protected] in my 93 RT TT at 5600ft! 100%stock!
I got this by holding it on the stock 7300rpm rev limmiter at the line, and slipping the clutch, my 60ft time was 1.76
after installing a stillen intake, and boost controler I ran [email protected] at the same track (5600ft)

for comp. sake my Viper ran a BEST of 13.02 at that same track!
and a Buddy has a 2000 corvette with a 11psi blower on it that runs 13.3 at that track.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Great times at elevation Matt, few will fully understand how great the 14.2 was at 5600' for a 1st gen car. Too bad we didn't all race on sea level tracks.

For more details on my 13.087 run, click on the time in my sig. If we all raced at near sea level tracks and 40F ambients, I wouldn't be the first to knock off a low 13. It just takes an agressive launch and some quick shifts.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
I haven't taken my new 91 turbo stealth to the track yet, and it's no longer stock, but my previous 91 red turbo had a best of 13.93. (I don't remember what the trap speed was, this was about 4 yrs ago.) I'd say ambient temp was about 75-80 degrees, and the track was approx 100' above sea level. (I live in Texas.) That was my first run of the day... after that the engine is hot and the intercoolers don't work as well, you get slower and slower until I settled into a 14.2-14.3 average.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would a stock 97' Eclipse GSX run a faster time because it is lighter? My friend ran a 12.8 in his, and my stock 93' Vr4 can kill his...so why are our stock times so high? My car has been lightened since I raced him, so in theory shouldn't I be able to get high 12's also?

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Whoa... 12.8 from a stock eclipse? There's no way he runs that. If he did, hell, mitsubishi wouldn't have even bothered building the 3000GT's. Eclipses, the turbo version of course, generally run low to mid 15 sec quarters. Our cars run anywhere from 13.5 to 14.5 stock, depending on the year and drivetrain. He may have meant 15.8 in the quarter stock. Those cars can be modified to be damn fast, but a stock car is NEVER going to run a time like that. He either meant 15.8 in the quarter, or 12.8 in the 1/8 mile, but that would make him very slow...

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I have a friend with a 91 TT that ran 13.5 stock. I have another friend with a 93vr4 that ran 13.9 stock in FL summer. As with the high elevation, few will understand how good a 13.9 is in FL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
He did it...about two weeks ago. A whole bunch of us watched him. Broke both front axles doing it too. I found out though he wasnt COMPLETELY stock. K&N filter, BOV, removed airbox honeycombs, but thats about it. I have raced him a couple of times...he hella quick, but not as quick as us. His time WAS 12.8...I shit you not!

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
was it a first gen? he must have had fuel mods too, theres no way he could pull a 12.8 on stock boost or even 15 psi for that matter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I dont know if he had fuel mods or not. He is a cool guy and always has been straight forward about what he had. It was a 97, not a first gen. I know most of the guys on here wont beleive me, but I dont care...I saw it along with a bunch of other racers from around here(Spfld,MO) I havent had my car tested yet(synchro prob) so I dont know how I would compare, but I know I have beat him a few different times, from a roll and from a stop. He beat me the first time cuz I had never raced before, and didnt get my RPMs up at all...I started from idle speed. Maybe it was a fluke, but we wont know until next season when the track opens back up, and me and him both can go at it on the track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 97 GS-T but use to own a 96 GSX. There's no way in the world he ran a 12.8 with those mods. Maybe if he were 9000ft below sea level! Haha...

Stock 2G GSXs run high 14's to low 15's stock. With the mods you listed he has still won't get him out of the 14's. What was listed probably wouldn't yeild him a noticable gain at all; 2-3 tens maybe.

I'm not doubting you that he ran a 12.8. GSXs are very capable, althou it's a lot easier for the 1g's, but... Running that fast, he has to have a lot more mods than what you listed, including a turbo upgrade. Most 2g DSMers can't get out of the 14's with the factor t-25.

Did he buy the car used? Cause if he's telling you that's all he has and he's not a liar, then he just doesn't realize that he has A LOT more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts