Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was traveling down I-95 Sunday morning going a tad over 100mph. All of a sudden I am pulled over by a Bensalem police officer. He gave me a $200 ticket and gave me two options:

Plead guilty on the spot and have my license suspended or plead not guilty and go to traffic court.

My question to you guys who may have experienced this situation is this: What do you say to the judge? I am thinking of pleading not guilty asking for a lesser penalty due to being my first offense.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Sounds like the "first offence" plea is about all you have to stand on..I dunno the traffic laws in your state, but in PA, i don't think you can have your license suspended unless you exceed the speed limit by 45mph..if you were clocked at 98 in a 55, you could be safe :) What did he tag you with?

edit:
oops..you're in PA..didn't notice that...well, like i said..i think 45 over the limit is where they can take your license, but i'm not sure.

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zentelis said:
Sounds like the "first offence" plea is about all you have to stand on..I dunno the traffic laws in your state, but in PA, i don't think you can have your license suspended unless you exceed the speed limit by 45mph..if you were clocked at 98 in a 55, you could be safe :) What did he tag you with?

edit:
oops..you're in PA..didn't notice that...well, like i said..i think 45 over the limit is where they can take your license, but i'm not sure.

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)
Actually, I have read that anything over 43mph can warrant a suspension. The cop could of tagged me with a wreckless charge, but only tagged me with racing on a highway. PS Is this "tall" Aaron that I met at both the OC and Reading gatherings? How many people named Aaron owns both a Spyder and TT?? What's up??

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Man, you guys in other states are so damn lucky! Here in CA, anything over 20MPH posted speed limit is a felony, they can impound your car, and you can goto jail unless you find a damn nice CHP officer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hans91GT said:
you're fucked, just hand the car over to GZP and say you have no idea who was driving the car at the time. You lost your wallet :).
You would love to have a 3kgt that runs wouldn't you??:D But seriously, on Dec. 13th we'll find out my fate. Hopefully, the judge will have mercy on me and give me a lesser fine and tell me to go to driving school.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
the 13th? You're screwed. Just slip the judge 20 bucks and you'll be fine.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Man, you gotta learn how not to get caught! A little late for that I guess. Is racing on a high worse than speeding? It is not in FL. Speeding is 4 points and $100+, racing on a highway is 3 points and $90. Gotta love the south :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
you're lucky

I got arrested for doing 101 in 70mph on I-10 in Lousianna.
Darn cop said the computers were down and he had to take me in.
I am never driving in that state again--except to go to court.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I suggest you invest in the K40 laser jammer AND a good radar detector!! I've had a BEL remote unit for YEARS...and I swear by it!

As far as the ticket goes....get a lawyer...you'll get a lesser fine/penalty on your license.

-Sanjay

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Hire a lawyer!!!!!

Ask for defensive driving. You'll end up better off despite the cost. Considering what you will have to deal with regarding insurance for the next 3 years, the lawyer will look cheap in comparison.

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
THIS WILL COST YOU!

Im am going to give you all some advise that will save you alot of cash! I have had multiple tickets in many states. Cali is one of the easiest to get out of tickets! I was caught doing 130 in a 55, with a conceled weapon, and a open container! All I got was traffic school. And the reason is $$$! Its all about the ching for the courts, they dont want to pay for a trial!
Hardly anyone will contest a ticket, so if you plead not guilty and ask for a jury trial the courts will generaly cut you a sweet deal to keep themselves from costly court expences.

Alright now that youve pleaded not guilty, and if it does go to trial. Just remember when you go to court its your word against the officers. And they are relying on a mechanical piece of equipment! ie.. radar or laser gun. Now all cops have to go through training, and they keep the records and certs. So if the cop that pulled you over had lousy scores you can use that in court, or if the calibration of the gun was off. Theres a thousand diffrent ways to get out of a ticket and the police have to provide all the information you request. So ask for everything and what they neglect to supply is ammo.

GOOD LUCK! :D :p

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Some experiences you might benefit from

First, as a young, naive driver I believed that getting a lawyer made you look guilty to the courts. I've paid more attention the last time I was in traffic court. Each kid (I can call them that cause I've got a decade or so on them) that brought a lawyer in got fined, but no points on the license at WORST. Many got nothing at all other than court costs. One example: over twice the speedlimit, "borrowed" family member's car, all four wheels *left the ground* crossing traffic (raised intersection), no license on the kid, no insurance. But he brought a lawyer. He dressed in shorts & t-shirt and had the general appearance of a crackhead. Judge talked to lawyer only. Kid gets fined + court costs. My jaw dropped.

Hollywood is correct that traffic courts are revenue generation and nothing more. They want your money, and you want to minimize your losses. That's your goal now that you're going to court: MINIMIZE YOUR LOSSES. Think about how to keep points down and keep insurance low. There's no reason to pay higher insurance for years for a single offense. Keep that in mind and you'll have the proper perspective. If you get a lawyer, the judge knows you're taking it seriously. Be respectful and know what happened. Rehearse it in your mind. Don't say "uh" "um" "er" to the Judge. You must resist the urge (if you feel it) to lie in traffic court.

You can plea bargain even in traffic court. Your best friend in the system (besides your lawyer) will be the court clerk. That office can tell you how to plea bargain and whether the prosecution will be likely to do so. There are lawyers on 3SI who can give specific advice, but I'd tell you to go to traffic court for dates PRIOR to yours and learn the process. See what happens. Don't go in ignorant. Ask questions, but be polite & don't interrupt anyone that might remember your face when YOU'RE the defendant.

I don't want to spam any more in this post. I hope these points help you out.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Oop, nevermind...ground controls. I saw a pic of your car in the chatr room last night...nice.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ok, listen up cus I'm a veteran in the Speed & Legal battles :)
1st rule NEVER admit to anything in front of the Cop
2nd NEVER tell the Cop u will see him in court
3, Get a lwayer, NOW
Now then, u will get a date to appear before the DA. If all u got was a speeding ticket its pretty easy to plea bargain down to a lesser charge. If he gave u reckless driving u can still manuever & get it knocked down. I hope u didnt try to run cus then he can write u up for Evasion which is a FELONY!!! & u DO NOT want that

WHen u appear before the DA tell him your story & try to plea bargain it down. He does not want u in court taking up there time for a traffic violation. It is in his interest to negotiate with u & get u out of his hair

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Matt, u say the Cop nabbed u for Racing. Was there another car ? If not, it should b easy to get out of, Ask the DA if he thinks u were racing yourself ? LOL

Ryoukui, I never heard of the 20mph over Felony in CA. Can u show us were u found that ?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
In Fucked up anal retentive states like in the NE if u r 25 over the limit it can b an automatic reckless driving. Stupid. I just go to the track now. I rarely go over 90 on the highway, at 90 its very easy to duck under 85 & be free of the RD charge. Over 90 they can really screw u if they choose to

·
Registered
557 Posts
hey countach.....

bought my car in new milford,the original owner lived in brookfield,do you know him? email me if you like,we should get together some time later,i'am tied up with my job for a while......lol.....later

1 - 20 of 33 Posts