Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some brand new tires for my vr4 and decided to celebrate by going to my first autocross today.

I had not raced my car in any capacity before this afternoon and did pretty terrible on my first few runs. I steadily improved as the day went on, however. My times went something like this:

Official Runs:
Run 1: 72 s + 1 cone
Run 2: 68 s + 2 cones
Run 3: DQ (took out a whole row of 5-6 cones)
Run 4: 66 s + 1
Run 5: 66 s + 0

Fun Runs:
Run 1: 66 s
Run 2: 65 s
Run 3: 65 s (faster than the last run by about 0.5 sec)

The fastest run of the day was ~56 sec. There was one other car in my class (FSP) who was driving a modified Honda Fit and running ~64 sec consistently.

See below for a video of my last and best run (you really have to watch in in HD full screen to see the course). I know absolutely zero technique so any and all advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
General tip, brake hard and fast, you want to be all on the throttle and then hard on the brakes and off quickly. Do all your braking before the turn and once your past the apex power out.

The first u-turn it looks like you could improve on by braking later, otherwise looked fine.

I really think autocross is too small for these cars, gotta get out on a road course!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ IceMan

I've got 19t's and a PMP FMIC installed but don't have any fuel management so I was just running stock boost. For suspension, I've got tein flex coilovers which I absolutely love. They really transformed the handling of the car and I'm sure made a huge difference in the autocross.

@Goallie

I agree that our cars are not ideal for autocross, but I still had a ton of fun and didn't have any major issues negotiating the course. I think the coilovers helped a bunch, though.

I would love to get out on a road course but it seems like it would be much harder on the car (especially brakes and tires). My vr4 is my dd and I can't afford to be replacing brake pads or tires frequently.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
You probably would benefit from staying in 2nd gear the entire time you have a 1st gen, im pretty sure you wont be hitting 75+ mph, i.e. needing 3rd gear, so its just wasted time going into the gear, and then switching back.

your slalom looked good, pretty close to all the cones, nice and tidy. That course has a similar setup to what I normally run here in Washington State, we use an abandoned runway so its a long, wide patch of cement, lots of fun, aint it!!??

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Damn that track looks fun! I never get out of first around here :( Speaking of which, your trans must be mint compared to mine. Mine would be CRANKY putting it in first without double clutching at anything above 5 MPH lol Makes it hard for gear selection sometimes. Hitting the limiter some in first or bogging in second.

Edit: I would try to keep it in gear at all times and try to make your steering a bit smoother. Overall it looked really good though, just a little something to work on :)

·
I'm a Member
9,699 Posts
dude...screw that, just get the gearbox built well, buy lots of extra syncro's(maybe even blocking rings) and drive how the hell you want.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice camera setup! Fish eye lenses are awesome! :bigthumb:

Pretty sound driving overall. Looks like you are pretty comfortable with driving the car hard. :D I think you might cranking too much lock on the steering on some parts of the course and the front tires begin to push. It'll be faster if you can slow down more coming into an element so you can turn in with less lock and exit the turn with more traction and speed. 2nd gear is definitely the way to go for most autocross courses especially for the VR4's haha, it should cover 95% of the speed ranges in a typical course and have plenty of torque down low for those pesky low speed turns even without downshifting to 1st.

Sounds like the tires are squealing quite a bit. Brand new tires are actually not as happy being pushed as worn-in ones. For one if they are really really new (like under 500 miles) they'll still have some mold release lubricants on the surface and be quite slippery. Plus new tires with full tread has a lot of tread squirm (source of all that squealing you hear) so they aren't so nice and crisp feeling and generates lots of heat. You'll get even faster as the tires wear down some. :D What tires did you buy, btw?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice camera setup! Fish eye lenses are awesome! :bigthumb:

Pretty sound driving overall. Looks like you are pretty comfortable with driving the car hard. :D I think you might cranking too much lock on the steering on some parts of the course and the front tires begin to push. It'll be faster if you can slow down more coming into an element so you can turn in with less lock and exit the turn with more traction and speed. 2nd gear is definitely the way to go for most autocross courses especially for the VR4's haha, it should cover 95% of the speed ranges in a typical course and have plenty of torque down low for those pesky low speed turns even without downshifting to 1st.

Sounds like the tires are squealing quite a bit. Brand new tires are actually not as happy being pushed as worn-in ones. For one if they are really really new (like under 500 miles) they'll still have some mold release lubricants on the surface and be quite slippery. Plus new tires with full tread has a lot of tread squirm (source of all that squealing you hear) so they aren't so nice and crisp feeling and generates lots of heat. You'll get even faster as the tires wear down some. :D What tires did you buy, btw?
Thanks for the advice. I'm driving 2.5 hours to go autocrossing again this weekend (I think I'm hooked) so I'll see if I can drop a few seconds with those techniques. Also, I'm gonna tighten up my rear suspension to see if I can induce a bit more oversteer.

The tires I bought are stock size Toyo Proxes. Not the tires I really wanted, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on them. Interesting that they actually get better as I wear em down.

About the camera, it's the GoPro HD Hero helmet cam. It's absolutely amazing. I usually use it for skiing but it works great on cars too. I'm gonna mount the camera outside the car this weekend. Should be a pretty cool angle.

·
I'm a Member
9,699 Posts
I know it's a bit expensive to suggest...but center and rear LSD's :p or replace the plates in the stock rear for a start!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts