Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im sure there are many reasons why a car wont start and probably have been answered before but I just dont know a lot about cars and need some opinons please.

Heres my situation. I am storing my car for the winter so I put a little stabil in the gas tank. I then went to start the car after about 2-3 weeks of not driving it. The battery is fine, lt lights everything up fine. But soon as I go to start the car the stereo comes on along with the dash lights. Then soon as it goes to the position where it would start, it just kinda makes a popping noise and lights go out then come back on. Doesnt turn over or crank or click or anything. Checked the battery and everything seems tight. Never had a problem starting it before. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer and same thing happened as before. I was thinking about jumping it but I thought that its not cranking over so jumping it wouldnt help!!!!! I dont know if thats true or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please give suggestions. Seems like everytime i go to do something it just backfires on me. I was hoping to buy some 15g turbos and then i go to start the car and nothing.... Just my dam luck.

SO again any help would be great.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
I just got my car back running after being down Three weeks.

It wouldnt start at first. Checked out the terminals of the batter, replaced the negetive terminal. Doublechecked the positive terminal, making sure the wire was on the terminal solid, and that the terminal was attached to the battery solid.

Started right up.

You may need to clean the terminals, and check that the Wires still have good, clean contact with the terminal it goes into.

Anyways, just a suggestion to get you started.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks eviltwin, I looked at the terminals and they seem fine. I could always take them off and reconnect them. the battery is a dynabatt 13.5lbs battery that is close to brand new only been in my car for about 3-4months tops...
Thanks for the suggestion tho. Like i said anyhelp is appreciated and thanks.

RYan

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
I don't know for certain, but that popping noise could be the starter shooting the starter gear out onto the flywheel, like it's supposed to. However, after it shoots the gear out, the starter is then supposed to turn the starter gear in order for the car to crank. Perhaps your starter is not spinning the starter gear? You may want to check connections on the starter. If I remember right, it's not that hard to get to. Drive the car on ramps and it should be sitting right there. If possible, you could remove the starter and bench test it to see if it's working.

-Bat

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree test the starter. Sounds like the starter to me.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Try turning on your headlights and checking the voltage on the cables going to the battery. I am betting you have a low battery and you will find less than 10 volts with the headlights on.

Lights going out when cranking is a classic sign of dead battery. (Could also be a bad starter or binding in the pinion gear but the fact that this was following a stint in storage, I will bet heavily on a bad battery.)

Try jumping it.

PS: The electronics in our cars seems to draw a fair amont of juice from the battery. I think it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery if you are putting it into storage.

Clint

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I believe that the starter cable was the spot where it wasnt working right. I checked the positive on the starter and it kinda wiggled around a bit. So I disconnected the battery and then tightened up the cable then reconnected the battery again and it didnt have the popping noise and then go out like it did before. Now lights and everything stay on but I believe the battery ran out of juice after trying to start it before. I am going to try and jump it in a little bit and see if that helps. It may have been a combination of the 2 or something or just the battery draining after so long.

I do plan on taking the battery out of the car for the winter. I am going to charge it and then bring it in the house for the winter. Hopefully this will work or I may need some furhter ideas.

Thanks a lot.
Ryan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Glad everything worked out for you Ryan.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NEED MORE HELP Please

Well what I thought was the problem really wasnt the problem after all. I have a Genisis battery(same as dynabatt) so im not sure if its bad or what but I think there is something else going wrong too but I dont know what. My friend has a trickle charger I think its called, that you plug in and it charges the battery, well anyway we tried that and there is a start mode for trying to start the car and it doesnt work. So then we just tried charging the battery and it didnt charge at all. I dont know maybe they are not good in the cold weather because it was like 20 degrees out. After the car wouldnt start with it being jumped I dont know what would be wrong. I checked with a meter and the battery was at 11.8volts which is fairly low. After turning the car on it started draining quickly. I came up with that maybe its just cold and wont hold a charge. I brought the battery in the house and let it warm up a little bit. Tested it at 11.8 volts and then put the charger on it. I just got home and the charger says its fully charged and tested it again at 12.8 volts.

If jumping the car doesnt help that would rule out just being a bad battery correct? I mean theres gotta be a draw or bad ground or something right???? Any ideas on my problem would be great. Im just clueless really about whats wrong here. Something isnt right here But what is it??

Sorry for the big reply here but what is going on???? I dont know what to do with it....

Thanks please feel free to shoot out some ideas.
Ryan

·
That Others May Live
3,844 Posts
Ryan,
Theres a few of us discussing what seems to be the same problem. Blowing fuses, no cranking, clicking, etc. The culprit seems to be shorts in the system. I too have a dyna-batt and i keep blowing the ignition fuse when i turn the ignition key.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Batteries are at their worst when the weather gets cold which is why a battery that seems fine during the summer dires abruptly with the first cold snap.

I suggest you take your battery to any Sears or Autozone and have them load test your battery. (You can also get a hygrometer for $3.00 and test the condition of the cells yourself.)

Also, if the battery is anywhere near it's rated life, I would consider replacing it instead of waiting for it to fail. (because it WILL fail.)

Clint

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Clint, you seem to be living in these electrical faq threads now lol. Go to another forum :)

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
ok

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the battery I have is a dry cell battery but I would hope that it wouldnt fail. Its only been in the car sinse August.

Hey F27corsair, which one is the iginition fuse. Is that located under the dash or under the hood of the car. I was gonna look at the starter solonoid switch or whatever its called in the fuse box under the hood. But I dont really know whats wrong with it. Seems like everytime I go to do something with the car something else goes wrong. I was only planning on starting the car up and let it run for a few minutes then start taking it apart for the winter. But as my no luck, would have it I cant do that.

I never even looked underneath the dash yet to check those fuses. I sure hope I dont get a fire or something if there is a short. Man, I have all the luck.

Well thanks for the advice guys, anymore hints or suggestions would be great. I was gonna also look for the ground to the engine and see if thats still good. Buddy had his truck have a similiar problem and it turned out his cable to the engine was caroded(spelling, no idea) and wasnt making good contact.

Thanks a lot.
Ryan

·
That Others May Live
3,844 Posts
The ignition fuse is located under the hood. I really dont know how to check the starter relay, but i was wondering about that thing too. The part itself is about $30 to replace.

·
Looks Fast, gets looks.
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya thats what I was thinking about the starter relay. Thats what I meant. I dont know really how to check it either. I had the battery out of the car and didnt feel like putting it back in cause a few friends were over, but my brother seems to think that if I turned the ignition key on, that he should be able to hear a click out of the starter relay!! I have no idea if thats true or not. But its his thoughts anyway. He seems to know a good amount about cars but im not to sure how much he knows about my car. I may try his theory though and see what happens tomorow. I dont know what to do. I am actually considering buying 15gs and all the fuel needs for my car but would really like to make sure there isnt anything major wrong first. If I new it would only be like a couple bucks to fix or free, I would commit on the turbos for sure....

Hopefully I will find the answer soon.

Thanks
Ryan

·
That Others May Live
3,844 Posts
One thing i noticed is when i took the ignition fuse out and put it back in, i could hear a clicking sound from either the relay or the starter itself and i believe the key is in the 'on' position. That would tell me the relay is alright (i think?)

·
Registered
434 Posts
When you take out the fuse and put it back in with the ign. switch in the on pos. you should hear a click. I was having the same types of problems and found out it is my solonid (sp). Cant change it yet but I just cross link it to get it to start.

·
That Others May Live
3,844 Posts
You cross-link the starter relay to get it to start? How do you do that?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is just like when you would bypass the solonid on a pickup except most older pickups have it on the firewall. You take a screwdriver (one with plastic or rubber handle) and connect the two posts with it. It will bypass the relay or whatever it is called and start the starter. Bit of a pain in some areas (depending on where you are at) but it works for now until I get a new one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.