Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Blingin' Board User
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry ahead of time for the double post, but no one was able to help me with in the FAQ. I've talked to a few people who said they've removed the silencers off of their stocked na exhaust's. They informed me they were by the cat area. Any input as to how much it should cost, or if I should even do it? Call me crazy, but I love the stock sound my exhaust outputs, just wish it was a little louder. thanks

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I didnt know there was such a think called the silencer man...I think he is reffering to the resonator man...and yes you could take it off.

If you bring it to an exhuast shop and ask them to take it off I doubt they will charge you for anything...except labor if even that..It will also free up a couple of Top-End horses but not really enough to freel.

G'luck man.;)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Listen bro this is the the best bang for the buck exhaust mod that I did to my 92 SL. It doesn't look at good as I wanted it to but it still look better than stock. I bought a nice performance muffler to replace the stock muffler, and was going to do the same for the right side exhaust but that damn fuel line is way too close and would burn up cause mufflers get too hot. So I took the muffler to Midas, for $100 labor he welded on the after-marketmuffler with nice tilt-up tips, then took the stock right side muffler and created a Y-Pipe to my Cat. I bought a tip for the right side exhaust that looks identical to the tips on my performance muffler, so now I have direct flow to the small muffler and performance muffler. It get a really nice "tuned" sounds from my exhaust, not meaty like v8s and not squeaky like Civics. And I def noticed a gain in acceleration. My .02

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The N/As do have silencers or resonators, whatever you want to call them. There are two right after the cat (at least there are on my 91). I would not remove them though without putting something else in their place. With out them the car would sound really bad. It would definetly be louder though. Most all aftermarket exhaust come with some sort of pre-silencer. If you are going to do a custom exhaust I would recomend putting in a perforated core glass-pack muffler. They are also called "Cherry Bombs". Just make sure that you get the Perf. core. Others all louverd core, which hurts flow. This combined with a nice performance muffler will give you a nice tone and nice performance increase as well.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Okay I'll get a pic of my exhaust up here soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts