Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i have a 96 3000gt, it has borla cat back exhaust, and k&n fipk on it. i need more power wiht out nitrous, or forced induction. I was thinking custom cold air intake (put the filter right in front of the right tire) and custon downpipe with no carts at all so i would have a full 3inch exhaust. Anything i can do that won't cost me my sole?

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Get an Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley. You can tell the difference immediatly. I went from almost no power, to littarly barking the shit out of 2nd gear. Oh yea, might want to put about 10 NOS stickers on your back windshield. I think someone from Fast and Furious told me they added 5 hp a piece ;)

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
hey esc: i'm thinking about getting an udp for my car. Are you manual or atx? And did you buy your pulley frim Dynamic Racing? One more question for you, how much did it cost you to get it installed...thanks.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
I'm a 5speed. It was like $250 I think. I got it from Steve at 3SX Performance. I dunno how much it would have costed to put on, because my waterpump went back and my whole engine went to shit, so I took my car to Steve to fix it, and he put the pulley on while he was there at the engine (did a very nice job also). I would think it'd help on ATX also. The pulley CAN be put on by yourself...I tried though. Not very easy to get the old pulley off. If you're not handy, I recommend a shop doing it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
screaming3kgt said:
OK i have a 96 3000gt, it has borla cat back exhaust, and k&n fipk on it. i need more power wiht out nitrous, or forced induction. I was thinking custom cold air intake (put the filter right in front of the right tire) and custon downpipe with no carts at all so i would have a full 3inch exhaust. Anything i can do that won't cost me my sole?
No nitrous? Wuss.
:D just kiddin!!

UDP = ~10hp

Big bore throttle body = ~10hp (~$275 w/ core exchange)

Port Matched Intake/Manifold = ~10hp (~$700)

Cam gears = 20-30hp ($849)

Cam re-grind = "Dramatic top end increase w/o sacrificing bottom end torque" ($799 + you gotta send your cams)

3.1L Pistons = no idea ($1k)

Head work = hp varies, but expect large increases (port/polish, valve job, etc. Could cost thousands)

Apexi S-AFC (or some fuel controller) = 10fwhp (thats wheel horsepower, not crank, by leaning out upper rpm range) ($325)

GForce ECU - custom chip for your mods. Can also change/remove rev limiter

Quaife LSD = none (but what goods all this power if u can put it down, right?) it'll run you $1k + install

Do some valvetrain work and u could move that redline WAY up. Titanium valves/springs etc. Very pricey.

What I'm trying to get at here is that "u gotta pay to play." If you could get +100hp for $10, every n/a 3k would be in the 11's :)

.jon

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Jspec said:
did you experience any power lost in electrical departments?? lights stereo...etc?
Yea, there is some power loss. It's not enough to shut your car down though, and once you give it a little bit of gas it's ok.

For example, at night time, if you're at a stop light idling, and you give your car a little gas while sitting there, you'll notice your headlights get a tad brighter. My friend said this could be fixed with a larger altenator. I dunno about this idea, but it could be possible. But hey, the loss in electrical power is worth the speed ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
esc said:

Yea, there is some power loss. It's not enough to shut your car down though, and once you give it a little bit of gas it's ok.

For example, at night time, if you're at a stop light idling, and you give your car a little gas while sitting there, you'll notice your headlights get a tad brighter. My friend said this could be fixed with a larger altenator. I dunno about this idea, but it could be possible. But hey, the loss in electrical power is worth the speed ;)
I think JSpec's (the #1 stunna) situation is a little different. He's got aftermarket stereo equipment, including subs, that are going to draw a lot of power. I don't know what kind of problems that would cause. Possibly prematurely draining the battery, because the alternator can't keep up.

.jon

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
thanks esc. I think i will be getting the UDP. Everyone says it give noticible power without losing lowend torque. So for the money its good horsepower. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hans91GT said:
Jon, you just can't add up HP that way :). And those HP increases seem kinda bloated too.
Let me clarify - i didn't mean that if you slap all that stuff on your car, add it up + 222 and thats what you're pulling. Absolutely not!

But for a pretty much stock vehicle, those numbers are pretty close. You're right tho hans, some of those are probably a little bloated as well. But for the most part, its quoted from retailers/manufacturers. I can't really argue, as I've never strapped on their equipment w/ before and after dyno runs to back it up.

.jon

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
well, before any mods you will probably put down about 167 hp. With an UDP, fidenza flywheel, S-AFC, K&N, and catback exhaust you can put down around 183 hp. Hopefully I will be able to do some mod to mod dyno runs so we can get a good estimate on what each mod will do. Of course this will most likely be done on a built N/A motor so not all numbers will be completely accurate for stock motors. I'm shooting for some time in the spring to be able to get that stuff done.... *crosses his fingers*

·
Registered
466 Posts
Cam re-grind = "Dramatic top end increase w/o sacrificing bottom end torque" ($799 + you gotta send your cams)
that price is kind of bs, crower will regrind your cams for less than 100 each, i think it was crower.

if you were getting new cam, or even used but reground cams, and didn't have to send yours off it would be different. the gt-pro prices have always seemed extreme to me, and only grew to appear more so the more research i did about the various mods they offer.

·
Registered
856 Posts
lostboi said:

that price is kind of bs, crower will regrind your cams for less than 100 each, i think it was crower.

if you were getting new cam, or even used but reground cams, and didn't have to send yours off it would be different. the gt-pro prices have always seemed extreme to me, and only grew to appear more so the more research i did about the various mods they offer.
I'll regrind your cams for $50, that doesn't mean its really worth a shit. Dynamic racing claims a specifically designed grind for our cams.

.jon

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
jon3k said:

I think JSpec's (the #1 stunna)...
haha you called me (the #1 Stunna) :D

mian i should change that soon..

i don't have that crazy of setup where i'm afraid i will loose too much sound power...but i do remember about a month before my original battery died i wasn't too happy with the sound...it was pretty crappy. and i'm not all too crazy about lights dimming at a light either.

anyone have an idea to gain some low end torque..i'm talking about between 1000rpm-2500rpm. i need more power coming off the light...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Does the UDP make that much of a difference? I am considering it as my next mod... :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Mitsusl said:
Does the UDP make that much of a difference? I am considering it as my next mod... :)
Well most people on the board that have them have only great stuff to say about the Uderdrive Pulleys. The acceleration is far more better than it was stock and you really start to feel your Low - End. ;)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
4u2nv - Sounds good to me. ;) I am finally starting to get a few mods, lol. Can't wait to get the exhaust here and on. :D

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I loved the feeling I got when I installed the UDP. But the biggest difference I noticed was from the Fidanza. Now thats a boost in revs.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
::adds Fidanza flywheel to list::

1 - 20 of 66 Posts