Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are performance plugs and wires useful for NA cars? I know they can help turbo cars reduce engine knock etc. but are there any performance gains for the non-turbo?

Also, what mods are suggested for a better 0-60 time?

·
Proud 3000GT Driver
3,221 Posts
well, i think it depends on whether or not your car is in perfect working order. obviously there are many cars that need replaced spark plugs. these new plugs would help fuel economy and milk out whatever missing work your engine has. i haven't done much research on spark plugs or wires though. i've heard that the wires aren't really necessary other than an aesthetic plus.

0-60 (mph i assume) would benefit from any mod that adds hp, and any mod that adds traction :). that's pretty much every mod... lol

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
plugs over time will get dirty, worn down, fouled, etc.. how fast this happens depends greatly on what kind of condition your engine is in, and if it has any kind of leaks due to bad seals, etc..

plug wires wear out over time as well.

The only reason putting new plugs and wires on your car will actually give you a performance gain (on an n/a at least) is if your existing plugs/wires are bad. now on a TT, that isn't totally true.. upgrading the ignition system can do a lot of things on a turbo

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My engine was much stronger once I replaced my oem plugs and wires with NGK platinum plugs and Magnecore wires. I reccomend the upgrade and they will need to be replaced sooner or later anyways so it just depends when you want to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my car only has 26k miles on it and has not had any past engine problems. So I doubt my plugs could be that bad.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i am putting on some new taylor wires with some ngk plugs i am also doing a complete tune up

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i am putting on some new taylor wires with some ngk plugs i am also doing a complete tune up

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
rtstealth said:
My engine was much stronger once I replaced my oem plugs and wires with NGK platinum plugs and Magnecore wires.
it's b/c when you change ur plugs, u free up lost hp

im just gonna go w/ ngk plugs and wires

i know that copper ones burn out easily, but anyone know if it helps na cars?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
For better 0-60 time I'd say that a LSD (limited slip differential) would help more than most mods.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I installed Magnecor Wires with Denso Iridium plugs and noticed a big difference in performance. Quicker acceleration and better top end as well. I pulled out Autolite plugs and no name wires from my car. Not sure what dumb person put autolites in it but oh well.

Actually, Denso claims an 8 to 10HP gain on their plugs.

The only reason I spent so much money on wires and plugs is because I didn't want to have to worry about them for a while.

R
:dodge:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are the Deno Iridium and Magnacore wires a good pair? I'd like to get a little better performance but since this is my daily driver (Im only 16) it has to be something that can last pretty well too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
From what I've read, if you have an NA, these are top of the line next to the factory specs which is NGK. I have had mine for 6 months and haven't had a single problem yet. Nor have I experienced a decrease in performance. I should be running in the 14's now. I'm going to the track in Dec. to find out. Also, the plugs are guaranteed for 10 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first.

Check em out and decide for yourself.
They are expensive though.
Magnecor wires are about 140
and the plugs are around 90

R

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not have a TT, its a 95 SL, what should I gap them at?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm using Bosch Platinum Plus 4, plugs come pre-gap so setting was not required. Currently 40K+ miles on them with no problems. Engines with boost are a little more particular though. :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
theonlypheonix said:
I'm using Bosch Platinum Plus 4, plugs come pre-gap so setting was not required. Currently 40K+ miles on them with no problems. Engines with boost are a little more particular though. :D
i thought bosche where bad for our cars?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.