Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norfolk, Va. 6:00p.m. (Yep, it's dark already.)

I was blazing through downtown to get to a parts store in time before they closed. I had about 10 minutes and it was 20 min. away. (Think Pulp Fiction. :D )

I'm pushing the VR-4 through heavy traffic (which was no easy task.) All the time wishing I was in my roommate's MR2 spyder. I'm late, late, late.

Something in my rearview is weaving like crazy trying to catch up to me in all the rush hour mess. Ahhh, Supra headlights. I got stopped at the next light and he had finally made it up to my rear bumper. The light turns green and he swerves to the right, and keeps pace with me.

Funny, the only thing that ran through my head was that I liked the indiglo guages on his A-pillar. :rolleyes:

I wind it out in 2nd. and shift into third. A massive whoosh comes from the Supra as he loses half a car length to me.

The next thought I had was that I was doing 60 in a 35 and the pedal was to the floor. Oh well. If I'm gonna make it to the store I guess I'll take a Supra out on the way.

By 80mph, my VR-4 and the pair of indiglo guages in the corner of my eye were well away from the downtown traffic. We were coming up on a 3 lane bridge. Topped the bridge at 100+ and I saw sparks in my passenger side mirror. It's a steep bridge... I guess the supra got airborne for a split-second.

On any other day, I'd remember that cops love to hang out on the median of the other side where they nap speeders as they come over the bridge.

I think to myself that 100 in a 35 is good enough for me and I shut it down. The supra does the flyby.

My next thought was that shuting down at 100 was a BAD idea because the cop that was waiting at the bottom of the hill just lit up like a Christmas tree.

Back to third gear for an instant.... 6000rpm. Shift. Drop it into forth. Those stupid indiglo guages on the supra were getting bigger. (He had slowed down.)

The next thought was pretty funny considering my circumstances... The supra driver was probably thinking that I was giving him the ricer flyby. (There's no rice here btw. ;) )

Fry the brakes. Right turn with no signal. Get lost in suburbia, finally made it to the store with 5 minutes to spare.

All this over a stupid Momo shift boot. :D

P.S. Yes, this was all in the period of 10-15 min. but god, it felt like an hour!

:mitsu: :mitsu: :mitsu:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I wind it out in 2nd. and shift into third. A massive whoosh comes from the Supra as he loses half a car length to me.
errr?

are the mods in your sig the only ones you have?
3rd gear sucks in our cars.

please explain.

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3rd gear....

PearL demon:

Those are my mods,

I didn't know that 3rd gear sucked. Felt pretty strong to me. Are our 6spds not geared perfect or what?

Seriously, what have you noticed about 3rd?

Mits3kgt320tt:

Thanks, there was a lot of adrenaline pumping near the end. :D

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
1st and 2nd are the "money" gears in our cars. after that, unless youve got some upgraded turbos (stock ones suck), then AWD drivetrain loss starts kickin our ass. its doesnt suck, but compared to 1st and 2nd it does.

lets just say, your going to need a bit more mods to roll a supra, especially that one since it most likely had mods since it had a pillar.

from a stop is another story.

good run though.

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...just a thought

PearL demon:

This is just a thought and not meant to open up a can.

My first thought when I saw the guages on the Supra was that this car had been modded pretty good. But thinking more about it, you never really know. I have guages and an A-pillar (Not installed yet but lets pretend they are for the sake of discussion.) And then you look at my HP mods.... an air intake. That's it! :)

My point is, short of pulling over and popping hoods, you never really know how much HP a car is pushing.

just my .02

:)

P.S. the ability of the driver is a whole other can......

:mitsu: :mitsu: :mitsu:

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
good story...interesting..LOL..good thing you're not in jail..did the supra guy get away too?

·
Registered
593 Posts
that was a very well told story! but to a 100 in a 35 i say :nono: :thumbsdow

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
sweet story

cool story, an exciting one!

and I agree, you can speculate all day long about who is fast and who isn't.....but really it doesn't matter, if I race and lose, I'll keep modding and hopefully not lose next time, its all you can do really, to pick and choose who you are willing to race is just showing fear, with the AWD drivetrain you never know what you can beat from a stop!

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
3rd gear in the 3s sucks because it is so damn tall. Not very aggressive gearing at all. In the supra, 3rd and 4th gear are almost the same, you're almost always in the sweet spot. In the 3s, 3rd feels more like an overdrive.
On the story, one of two things happened. Either 1.) You raced an N/A. Or 2.) And I'm assumming this is the case since the car was trying pretty hard to "catch you." You raced a modded supra from a roll in your basically stock VR4 and just lied your ass off :rolleyes: :bsflag:

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's your point?

Late:

Hello,

I'm same person that posted about losing to a CRX. Click here for thread. I've got nothing to prove, and I'll post a loss to a Supra as well. But here, I stayed 1/2 a car length in front of him until the bridge.

So... B.S. huh? whatever. :rolleyes: okay, let's argue....

1.) You raced an N/A.
Could he be N/A? No. I Already stated that I heard his BOV.

2.) And I'm assumming
Assuming...... always a good basis for an arguement. go on...

this is the case since the car was trying pretty hard to "catch you." You raced a modded supra
Just because he was trying to "catch me" does NOT make him modded aside from what I saw. Prove that wrong.

You raced a modded supra from a roll in your basically stock VR4
So tell me, how modded was it? PearL demon and I talked about this earlier in the thread, did you read that part? Ok, read it again.

And yes, as you saw in my sig, I have a basically stock VR-4.

and just lied your ass off
WRONG. I have better things to do than sit here and B.S. you and waste my time trying to impress people on the internet. I'll post when I think others will get something out of it.

Late: You need to lighten up man. ;)

Everyone else: If this happened to you, wouldn't you post it? :)

Thought so... and I'm done ranting and raving. :D

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
IceonMe said:
When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.
haha i heard that in drivers ed. very helpful hint. but just to make it clearer.

when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME. :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.