Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
vice prez: TPW
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit 10/23/07: I had a lot of the first few pages of pictures hosted on Baylor's server which were deleted. So some of these may be different. Text is the same to keep the whole pain in the ass feel to the project. :lol:

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while. Mainly a journal about trying to go Forced Induction.

Special thanks to everyone here at 3Si, there is no way I could do any of this if the info was not here and for those who have helped me in my many threads and PMs. There are too many people to thank.

Also want to thank IPS Motorsports and 3SX, Supercar Engineering for their help and selling me stuff. :D

9/15/06
Friday night drove her to my friend Jeremy's place to do the work. He has built up his DSM, has a lot of tools, a garage, plus is just a bad ass friend. Loaded up all the TT conversion parts and headed over.

9/16/06
Started work.
Pulled the front bumper, took out the axels and got the transmission ready to drop. Removed down pipe, headers, air intake, plenum, spark plugs etc. Basically got everything ready to tackle the 120K tune up tomorrow.

Cleaned up for the night.

9/17/06
Took apart the side and did a complete 120K tune up. All new pullies, belts, oil pump, water pump, TT oil housing. Then when we went to put it all back together. Disaster.

Here is the thread I discussing it all.
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=347393

Kinda ended the day. Cleaned up and went home. Being that with mine and Jeremy's school schedules we can only work on the car during the weekend.

·
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
10/07/06
Pulled and dissembled the heads. And dropped the tranny. While dropping the tranny the drivers side motor mount (the cracked one) broke out of the block and a nice chunk fell. Definetly made me jump as I was under the car at the time. Also made me glad I found this crack now, and not some time while driving. I'm lucky it never gave away at some point over the last 7 years.

10/08/06
Took apart the tranny and installed the SFR LSD insert. This was the project I was most worried about. I was at the point of taking it to someone to install. But thanks to some of the guys here and a walk through from the DSM boards Jeremy and I did it our selves. Definitely a lot easier than I had originally thought it would have been.

·
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
10/12/06
Disassembled the TT block to get it ready to take it into Precision Machine Friday morning to clean and hone the block. (No school on Friday :) )

10/13/06
Took the block to Precision Machine, amazing price and unbeatable prices. They don't advertise but they do run in the outlaw drag class which is great advertising for them. I need to take my camera next time I go up there, their three drag cars are insane! Pushing 2500+ WHP.

Called up Jeff at IPS Motorsports to get some advice on what bore pistons to get. Bought them on the same phone call.

After dropping of the block I broke open the tranny again, the torque specs we used were to low, they were from a TT, got the correct N/A numbers. Resealed and properly torqued.

Took off the clutch and flywheel, downside is I found 3 heat cracks in the flywheel so now I need to replace it. Worst thing is I would rather get a lightweight flywheel since I have to replace it, but I can't afford it right now in the budget.

Dropping the engine was an experience, I'm only going to rent a cherry picker when I install the new one, so literally dropped the short block out of the car, it was only about 5 inches onto a crawler, but it was still a pain in the ass.

Set the old block on the engine stand and got to tearing it away.

I'm going to reuse my 2nd gen crank and rods with new ROSS pistons.

Then we cleaned up the garage, once my pistons come in this week I'll be taking them to Precision Machine. Hopefully next weekend can start building my new motor.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Fun stuff! Upgrade as much stuff as you can. On my parts car, John (jerggy13) and I dropped a vr4 block onto tires. We just unbolted all the motor mounts and let 'er rip. Was not one of my most graceful moments as a weekend warrior, but it worked :)

·
'91 VR-4
498 Posts
Wow this will help a lot, since Im planning on the TT conversion...nice car also, cant wait to see it when its done.

Also thanks for the Q/A session lol

To bad your not in NC, you could drive over and help me when I get underway :p

·
lover of everything Greek
2,159 Posts
i cant remember what turbos you'll be running?

with the 9:1 pistons, the lower compression should make the tuning a bit easier than on 10:1 pistons.

·
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I;m just using the stock 9b TD04 turbos. The power out of them with the lack of traction with FWD should be good. At least for a while.

Engine managment will be a 1st gen TT ECU, electronics are; defi boost and EGT, greddy EBC, AEM wideband, and will borrow my friends OBD1 datalogger for tuning after the engine is broken in.

For fuel using stock TT injectors with new o rings and bushings teamed with a walbro fuel pump.

-John

·
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vital Velocity said:
Man that looks like fun; good job man!!!
How are you liking the SC..what am I saying. How could you not like it.

I've been trying to talk my Dad into supercharging his '01 Z06. Everytime I get him talked into it I need to head back home, I can never get him to buy it while I'm visiting. haha

-John

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
J-Groove said:
How are you liking the SC..what am I saying. How could you not like it.

I've been trying to talk my Dad into supercharging his '01 Z06. Everytime I get him talked into it I need to head back home, I can never get him to buy it while I'm visiting. haha

-John
Super charged Corvettes u guys are sick :D

·
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Broch said:
sweet dude! still making the video?
Unfortunetly no, it was one thing to take a project that is maybe 3 days long and make a video, it is a whole other to turn this all into a video.

The original video would have turned a 3 day TT conversion project into something around a month, I just can't do it and expect to finish my car this year while taking 20 credits this semester. :(

Mumbo_Jumbo said:
Good stuff John. Good luck to you.
Thanks, I just got in some new toys today, actually 6 new beautiful toys. :D

Ross Forged 9:1 pistons. :bandit:

I'm going to try and get them to the machine shop tomorrow, have them bore out my block and balence the engine.

-John

1 - 20 of 604 Posts