Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not posted it in the review section, because it's a 'custom' exhaust, so it's more to share it with you folks, cause I think it's a good option that many people were seeking and not finding!

Like me, many people likes the quad tips 'look', wants the less restriction possible but not sound too loud. This is what I think I have achieved.

I've considered the IPS quad tips with the ultra quiet muffler, but after talking with Jeff, he told me that the sound was still loud even if he tried millions of configuration to fit a muffler on the passager side.

The muffler we fitted on my car (passenger side) is small but is doing a good job, the exhaust is made with a 3'' DP, an hi-flow cat (ecolo), the quad tips from IPS (only the tips), 2 magnaflows mufflers and a QFT electric cut-out (optional).

The tips, with my sandal so you can figure the size :

The exhaust (sorry it was dirty, I have them since 2 months on the car now)

It's very close to the rear diff (about an inch), but it never touched it, it's very tight!

In fact I would not need the exit on the passenger side, the exhaust is 3'' all the way and the magnaflow muffler on the driver side offer no restriction at all! But to keep the quad tips 'stock appearance' or I should say 'configuration' look, the passenger side had to be there. So I added an electric cut-out only to have more or less exhaust tone!

To have an idea of the sound (I will try to have a sound clip for you guys). If the cut-out is closed (exhaust only goes throught the driver side) the sound is comparable or a little less then it was with : 3'' DP, hi flow cat and stock exhaust.

And if the passenger side is open, the sound is a little less then it was with : 3'' DP, no cat and stock exhaust.

So it's very acceptable! I may change my electric cut-out for a VES (virtual exhaust system) : a gate that open on boost only, but closed all other time. It allows to idle, drive and cruise with the gate close, aka very silent. And a little more louder when on boost! So I never have to touch anything.

I hope it can help some people.

Eric

·
Banned
8,445 Posts
so using a symmetrical quad-tip system was out of the question? that's what i'd like to get after my single-shot wears out.

maybe it's because of the asymmetrical stock system & the mis-shapen gas-tank that it forced.

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
Any videos for sound?

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so using a symmetrical quad-tip system was out of the question? that's what i'd like to get after my single-shot wears out.

maybe it's because of the asymmetrical stock system & the mis-shapen gas-tank that it forced.
There is barely no place on the passenger side, this is why it's hard to have a muffler on this side!

Eric

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
isn't the borla system stock configuration with two small mufflers on each side?

haven't heard it though...could be really loud...and obviously expensive

·
Registered
945 Posts
In for video :D

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
isn't the borla system stock configuration with two small mufflers on each side?

Yes 2 small mufflers, never heard then sound in person, but I think it's a bit loud and it's one tip each side...

Like I said I like :

- Quad tips
- Not too loud
- Not too restrictive.

Most aftermarket exhaust score 1/3 or 2/3 on the list!

Eric

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
Dying to hear it.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is some modification I want to make, before I call this 'all done', I will try to fit this :

Instead of the QTP electric cut-out, it open only on boost, so it's close most of the time and you don't have to touch anything.

So I'll take a sound clip for you guys when it will be like I really want!

Thanks for the interest!

Eric

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
You should do a before and after sound clip

·
Registered
850 Posts

i rode in nduda's Vr4, pretty sure he has the Borla. Its not overly loud unless your on it, and has the same stock tone.

Thats a really nice looking set up btw. If it were me, ide leave the pass side mufler off. i Hate all of my neighbors.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The switch is out of the car actually, so it's open all the time for now, I would have to lift the car to close it, if you want to hear the difference.

With the valve that open with boost only, it will have the same sound, but no need to open and close.

The reason I want that, is because I like the idle and cruising quiet, but want it louder on boost, and the electric cut-out is pretty much slow to open/close, so all in all it's either always open or always close. I do not want to bother with that. I had that on my DSM and really liked it!

sdelivery : the sound is still acceptable with both side open! It's just my car, apart the wheels/stoptech, is really stock appering, not even a gauge is apparent, so I want to keep it as sleeper as possible.

Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts