Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Great, did you change your oil? I would recommend changing your oil and taking apart the old CHRA to inspect the damage to the bearing system. That will give you an indication of how much metal got into your oiling system. It is possible the damage was just FOD and the oiling system didn't get contaminated. I would also recommend checking axial and radial end play of the rear turbocharger to see if any damage to the bearing system in that turbo has already occurred. It should feel similar to the new front turbo you installed. Also, CHRA stands for center housing rotating assembly. The CHRA with end housings is just referred to as a turbocharger.

Yes I changed the oil, oil filter and front turbo oil feed and return lines. I checked the rear turbo and it looked mint with no serious shaft play. I believe most of the metal shrapnel from the failed turbo ended up in my intercoolers. I flushed them out, along with most of the intake system.

I know what CHRA stands for and used the term correctly. I initially planned on just swapping the CHRA but when I took the old one out and measured it, it wasn’t the same as the replacement CHRA 3SX offers. So I contacted a member on here and bought a complete used 9B turbo and swapped the whole assembly in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm I must have been reading these posts backwards then. Sorry my bad.

Anyways I'd still recommend tearing apart that old CHRA. The failure was most likely FOD and the damage probably caused enough imbalance to overload the bearings and cause a touchdown event but the key will be to look for any material transfer and the magnitude of the heat marks. If the oil line was clogged (which I doubt) you should see brass on the TWA.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Hotwired my radiator fans to this 3-prong toggle switch. If I flip the switch down, both radiator fans switch on full power. If I flip the switch back, the fans operates like stock. Pretty cool cheap mod.

It lights up too.

Tapped into pin 20 on my v.1 AEM EMS

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Nice - couldn't the AEM do that automatically?
I believe I could have, but I'm not sure I would be able to switch both fans on high when I want without a laptop. The switch makes it easy to flip both on if I feel like I've been beating on the car or if I'm stuck in traffic or something

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I’m going to tackle the fuel feed line from the pump to the filter through to the rail. Anyone have any tips or tricks to this mod?

3sx braided fuel line kit from pump to filter
Aeromotive filter with -6 AN male ends. Custom line built to a 3sx -6 AN fitting.

The guys at the speed shop said this setup would make the car reek of gas lol

Those 3sx rear tdo4 lines are low on my to do list for right now. If this doesn’t fix my lean issue, then it’s time for injectors and a retune.

Edit: injectors/retune regardless, but later

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I installed the filter and all the lines. The engine bay is buttoned up. I cleaned up a lot of the wires behind the battery. With it removed, the opportunity presented itself.

I need to return the Aeromotive filter bracket. The stock one worked perfect after wrapping some electric tape around the filter to increase the diameter.

There are no leaks and it looks like fuel pressure increased. I still need to find a way to secure the braided line tightly to the undercarriage. If anyone has any ideas, lmk.

More pics tomorrow:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I dropped my car off at the 3SNY clubhouse. I got the following parts installed:

new Idler pulley,
like-new crank pulley
new accessory belt
new oil cap
2 new exhaust gaskets

Fixed multiple exhaust leaks, installed the above parts, inspected the bearings, banged out a dent in the oil pan, fresh oil and filter

Added some JDM bling to the engine bay. The car sounds much better now and is running much smoother.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

DSM SMICs modified to bolt right up. Ready to go in.

Here’s what’s coming next:
Precision 550cc injectors
DSM SMICs
ACT clutch
New OEM clutch master cylinder
New OEM slave cylinder
New OEM rear main seal
SS clutch line

Ray Pampena Dyno Tune

It’s time to max out these 9bs

Stay tuned ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Looks like time to put those 9bs out to pasture!
I love stock turbo bolt on setups. Keeps things reasonable for a daily.

Not upgrading turbos until I address the suspension and bushings.

LONGGGGG over due car wash. Changed the oil too. Also ordered some interior bling... I’ll post up when they get here:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
ACT MB2-HDG6 Clutch

Precision 550cc injectors & S.S. clutch line

Brand new OEM clutch master cylinder

Fresh rear main seal

Some more Greddy bling

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Greddy coolant cap installed. Goes well with the Greddy BOV. I would like to source a Greddy oil fill cap too

Pink LED bulbs for my autometer center gauges.

I dreaded having to take apart the center gauges. My hand got all cut up again. The end result is so worth it though. These bulbs are sooooo much brighter.

HKS Purple/Grand Daddy Purp

I wanna change all the interior lighting to this color. Any idea how to go about doing that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
UPDATE: Ditched the 6-puck ACT for a Southbend Single. It's installed and the transmission is back on. Hydraulics have been swapped for new and the S.S. clutch line is installed. The system is sealed. Moving to the front of the car, ripped the AEM out and put a stock ECU in. Installing AFC then road tune.

Transmission is in:

Engine bay when everything was apart:

Apparently the plug wires that came with the 3SX tune-up kit weren't up to standard. They were swapped out for better ones:

Injector harness was pretty badly damaged, multiple clips were cracked and burned

PTE 550cc injectors installed with modified and repaired injector harness:

Modified DSM SMICs installed:

Dual intake blow thru system is gone. K&N single OEM MAF bubble with 3SX turbo inlet pipes. Peep the 3SX oil cap ;)

Glove box is fixed and AFC is being installed:

Once everything is wrapped up, it's time for a road tune. Ever since I put that AEM the car hasnt run right. I'm hoping this all gives me a nice streetable 12-second bolt-on machine.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts