Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whatsup everyone,

My dad had one of these, a 92 VR4 in green. I thought it was the coolest car ever when I was a kid. He gave it to my half-brother who went on to total it in an epic way. I'm new to this platform, but I'm not new to the car game. I've built four cars before this.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (5 spd, 350+AWHP/TQ)

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi ([email protected] w/ stock turbo + DOM 3.0XTR 400AWHP)

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (pt6262 480AWHP)

2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Coupe (JDM v.8207, 07+ 6spd, r180, Flex-Fuel)

On to the stealth. I bought it from a mechanic/shop owner who had records for the car dating back to the original buyer's order. The first owner paid $40,569.00 for it back in February of 1994. Accounting for inflation that's something like $69kOTD! I bought the car with 66k miles on it bone stock aside from a head unit. Anyway, the goal right now is to make this thing a reliable 12-second daily driver. It’s been one month since I bought it and I’ve made some progress, but have been hitting small, and maybe not so small, roadblocks along the way. Anyway, I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

ODO the day I bought it:

A day or two after purchasing it:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got some 5% window tints installed all around

Got some HIDs installed along with LED foglights, LED replacement interior and exterior bulbs all around, and both door speakers and dash tweeters. Sounds so much better and driving at night is now much easier with the brighter lights! I love the modern look that changing out bulbs can give your car.:

Before: (Also taken before window tints were installed)

After: (Tints, HIDs, LEDs, Door Speakers, and Tweeters)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didn't get a chance to pull the ECU and check it. I will do that as soon as I get the car back. I did, however, throw in a new Optima Red Top battery. It's shorter than the OEM battery so I had to use a shop rag as extra padding to make sure the battery stays secured. It won't budge for now. I'm open to better suggestions on how to best secure the battery.

Also here is another recent pic of the front end with all the lights on during the day.

I ordered the following to address the oil and coolant leak.

• Valve cover gasket set with spark plug gaskets x2
  • Thermostat Housing Gaskets and Orings O-Rings Set
  • 3SX Tune-Up Kit - Thermostat + Radiator Hoses + Clamps + Water Wetter
I ordered the following to address the hesitation and hot-start issues

• Fuel Pump Hotwire Kit 3S
  • 3SX Tune Up Kit - Spark Plugs + 3SX/MSD Plug Wires + Gaskets 60k
I will have all the above parts installed along with a boost leak test, pressure test, compression test, etc.. and then assess the situation from there. That should take care of the small leaks. I'm hoping the hesitation and hot start issue will be solved after this round, but if not I will look at the ECU, ECS, PTU, coil pack, hotwiring coils, and throttle body leaks.

I also ordered:
  • 3SX Custom Aluminum E-Brake Button Replacement
  • 3SX Custom Hood Struts / Hood Shocks
  • Wiper Rear BLADE+ADAPTER+SCREWS Set

Pics:

I love when new parts come in. Thank you 3sx!

Installed the new hood struts from 3sx. Easy install. Look how high they raise the hood! Now that the engine bay is easier to get too, we're gonna have to make it look the part. I'm planning on having the front valve cover powdercoated candy red. If anyone has a used front valve cover that will fit a 2nd gen TT, pm me, I'll buy it off you.

Here are some pictures of the 3sx e-brake button. Huge improvement over my chewed up OEM one. Not sure why almost all 3s e-brake buttons look like they've been chewed on by a rat or something. Check out what the stock one looks like:

This is the 3sx unit. Much better!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I also had my stock battery tie down bracket modified to work properly with the shorter Optima battery. Looks much better than my dirty-rag solution lol.

Oh and here’s a pic of when I got stuck in that snow storm that hit NJ and gridlocked Northern NJ for like 10 hours. It took me 4+ hours to get home, but the car handled the snow beautifully. Well, the wipers had a hard time, but managed. Wipers don't like the snow.

And…. finally some bonus pics:

I have my eyes on a used AEM v.1 too ;) I just wanna sort everything out before adding more power. Slowly but surely! Thank you, everyone, for your advice and guidance. It has helped tremendously. Keep it coming and I will continue to update as much as possible. Things will be moving fast as I strive to reach my goal of a 12 second reliable daily.

·
Keith
717 Posts
I see you have the fancy digital climate control... I thought this didn't come in the 2g Stealths?

Does your car have All Wheel Steering, Active Exhaust, Adjustable suspension or any of the other "3000GT VR4" fancy bits?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see you have the fancy digital climate control... I thought this didn't come in the 2g Stealths?

Does your car have All Wheel Steering, Active Exhaust, Adjustable suspension or any of the other "3000GT VR4" fancy bits?
Really? I thought the digital climate control came on all 3si cars up until 98-99. No, it does not have active aero. It does, however, have ECS and Active Exhaust. Both systems are in working order too.

I believe it has 4WS. There is a light for it in the gauge cluster that I see turn on when I turn the key to the accessory position. I also read that 94s have it, but I could be wrong. I think I feel it working on my long winding highway commute?

·
Keith
717 Posts
My 95 Stealth RT/TT Came with almost none of the Vr4 Options.

No AWS, ECS, Active Exhaust, etc. Which is why I chose it. Naturally lighter without having to remove everything! lol

Also has boring knobs for climate control. very old/cheap looking. That's the one thing I wish the car had was the Digital Climate Control. Just looks so cool for a car made in the mid 90's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
'94 retained all the goodies, but added 20HP stock, 6spd, improved transfer case, pass airbag, cd changer... then most of the fancy items were removed for '95.

'94 also had the glass headlights. though, not sure when those were 'value engineered' off the car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My 95 Stealth RT/TT Came with almost none of the Vr4 Options.

No AWS, ECS, Active Exhaust, etc. Which is why I chose it. Naturally lighter without having to remove everything! lol

Also has boring knobs for climate control. very old/cheap looking. That's the one thing I wish the car had was the Digital Climate Control. Just looks so cool for a car made in the mid 90's.
Less things to go wrong really. Also less weight, so theres that. Judging by the photo under your username, your car looks sick. Is the 99 VR4 front bumper a direct fit on 2nd gen stealths?

'94 retained all the goodies, but added 20HP stock, 6spd, improved transfer case, pass airbag, cd changer... then most of the fancy items were removed for '95.

'94 also had the glass headlights. though, not sure when those were 'value engineered' off the car.
Sounds like '94 was a good year for the Stealth RT TT

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
love the stealth! just needs a '96 banana on the back and reupholstered driver's seat :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
love the stealth! just needs a '96 banana on the back and reupholstered driver's seat :)
Thank you! I love it too. Ok so the '96 wing is confusing me. Whats the difference between my '94 wing and the '96 wing? They look identical to me.

I definitely plan on reupholstering the interior in either OEM black or a custom red. I think red would look pretty sweet against the white exterior. Before I do that though, I want to focus on getting the car 100% and then I plan on slowly maxing out the stock turbos in the near future.

The car has been great so far. I've been daily driving it 60 miles a day and having a blast. There are some issues though. Among other smaller issues, I aim to tackle these THREE BIG ISSUES first:

• First, after driving for a while and letting it sit for a couple of hours, if I try to start it... it will sometimes turn on and idle really rough and then die. After a few tries and giving it some throttle, it sorts itself out and proceeds to run like normal. This has happened maybe 5 times so far. This could be many things, but I think it might be the ECU.
  • Second, at WOT it hesitates repeatedly as it climbs between 4k-redline. This just started happening. It also sometimes hits boost or fuel cut or something when going from gradual throttle to WOT. Again this happens infrequently, but still occurs enough to be annoying. I think this could also be the ECU. I plan on pulling it and inspecting it this weekend. If the capacitors are leaking, then I will order a Chrome ECU and hopefully that takes care of these weird quirks.
  • Third, I noticed a small puddle of fluid with traces of transmission fluid in it on my garage floor under where I park the car. I took it to a Valvoline for an oil change (Rotella T6 and HP-1004 K&n oil filter) and they confirmed that transmission fluid was leaking from where the transmission mates up against the engine. Its going in to get diagnosed at All Star Transmission in Haledon NJ this Monday. It could be the rear main seal on the transmission (I hope not).
If anyone has any insight on the above three problems I have been having, let me know! Thanks

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts

·
Resident Street Racer
5,604 Posts
Thank you! I love it too. Ok so the '96 wing is confusing me. Whats the difference between my '94 wing and the '96 wing? They look identical to me.

I definitely plan on reupholstering the interior in either OEM black or a custom red. I think red would look pretty sweet against the white exterior. Before I do that though, I want to focus on getting the car 100% and then I plan on slowly maxing out the stock turbos in the near future.

The car has been great so far. I've been daily driving it 60 miles a day and having a blast. There are some issues though. Among other smaller issues, I aim to tackle these THREE BIG ISSUES first:

• First, after driving for a while and letting it sit for a couple of hours, if I try to start it... it will sometimes turn on and idle really rough and then die. After a few tries and giving it some throttle, it sorts itself out and proceeds to run like normal. This has happened maybe 5 times so far. This could be many things, but I think it might be the ECU.
  • Second, at WOT it hesitates repeatedly as it climbs between 4k-redline. This just started happening. It also sometimes hits boost or fuel cut or something when going from gradual throttle to WOT. Again this happens infrequently, but still occurs enough to be annoying. I think this could also be the ECU. I plan on pulling it and inspecting it this weekend. If the capacitors are leaking, then I will order a Chrome ECU and hopefully that takes care of these weird quirks.
  • Third, I noticed a small puddle of fluid with traces of transmission fluid in it on my garage floor under where I park the car. I took it to a Valvoline for an oil change (Rotella T6 and HP-1004 K&n oil filter) and they confirmed that transmission fluid was leaking from where the transmission mates up against the engine. Its going in to get diagnosed at All Star Transmission in Haledon NJ this Monday. It could be the rear main seal on the transmission (I hope not).
If anyone has any insight on the above three problems I have been having, let me know! Thanks
Congrats on the pickup.

Hotwire your fuel pump and see if that helps with the hotstart issue.

r5671-a NGK copper spark plugs and NGK wires gapped at .28. Also hotwire your coils, you can find a thread on 3si.

For your goal of wanting a 12sec car, it should be relatively easy.

If the 60k tune up is already done and you've pressure tested the car and confirmed no boost leaks you should do the following:

Intake
MBC @14psi
downpipe + gutted cats
Walbro hotwired pump
Hotwired Ign coils
clutch if trans needs to come down
Vac delete

that should do it. I would probably get some shifter bushings as well.

·
Keith
717 Posts
Less things to go wrong really. Also less weight, so theres that. Judging by the photo under your username, your car looks sick. Is the 99 VR4 front bumper a direct fit on 2nd gen stealths?

Sounds like '94 was a good year for the Stealth RT TT
Since you have 94 Stealth Headlights, the 99 front should swap right over. You may need the 99 side blinkers as well, which is how I have it.

99 3000GT Front bumper
94 Stealth Glass headlights
99 3000GT Blinkers

Zero modification needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1996 Stealth with the 1996 banana--> https://www.3si.org/forum/6069133-post227.html and https://www.3si.org/forum/6069137-post229.html and https://www.3si.org/forum/6069138-post230.html
the 1996 OEM wing is hard to come by (and expensive) because so few 1996 stealth RT were made. I have a reproduction version on my car, but I don't know if they are still available as a reproduction.
Ok now I see the difference. It's still pretty subtle to me. Too subtle to make it worth the hassle of finding one lol. I'm actually thinking of taking the wing off maybe.

Congrats on the pickup.

Hotwire your fuel pump and see if that helps with the hotstart issue.

r5671-a NGK copper spark plugs and NGK wires gapped at .28. Also hotwire your coils, you can find a thread on 3si.

For your goal of wanting a 12sec car, it should be relatively easy.

If the 60k tune up is already done and you've pressure tested the car and confirmed no boost leaks you should do the following:

Intake
MBC @14psi
downpipe + gutted cats
Walbro hotwired pump
Hotwired Ign coils
clutch if trans needs to come down
Vac delete

that should do it. I would probably get some shifter bushings as well.
The previous owner said he did the 60k tune-up at 66,127, shortly before I bought it. He wrote me a receipt in my name with a warrantee attached to it and seemed like a genuine guy, but I'm not taking any chances. I will have it thoroughly inspected when the car makes it to my tuner. The car will be pressure tested and inspected before hitting the dyno for sure. But before any of that, I need to sort out this transmission leak.

And shouldn't I rule out the ECU before throwing money at ignition components and hot wire kits? Once I rule out the ECU I'll look into hot wiring the coils and fuel pump. The fuel pump I have heard about and will most likely do for sure, but the coils, I'll have to check that out.

As for the modlist, yeah we are on the same page with regard to that. Those are exactly the mods I was planning on doing, except for the vacuum delete and hot-wired coils. I will have to look into those.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated

Since you have 94 Stealth Headlights, the 99 front should swap right over. You may need the 99 side blinkers as well, which is how I have it.

99 3000GT Front bumper
94 Stealth Glass headlights
99 3000GT Blinkers

Zero modification needed.
Good to know. God forbid I damage the front end enough to need to replace it, I'll keep this in mind. I love the '99 VR4s. I get VR4 envy sometimes tbh but I couldn't find a 3000gt VR4 anywhere near me worth even looking at.

Honestly though, I dont plan on doing much to the exterior of the car as of now. Some Evo X BBS would be sexy af tho.

nice car! its probably the output shaft seal leaking on the trans.
Thank you!

Is the output shaft less expensive to replace in terms of labor?

17,164 Posts
The output shaft seal requires removal of the transmission generally speaking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Look under your throttle body - do you still have the beige/aluminum idle air control valve (IAC)? If so, replace that... Ninja Performance has good ones. It might help with your hot idle issue.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts